Best Way To Remove Iron Stack Section - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By WillK
  • 1 Post By WillK
  • 1 Post By WillK
  • 2 Post By WillK

Old 03-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,090

Best way to remove iron stack section

This is stuck good. Second floor bathroom wall, what you see is almost all that is left. Belo it connects to pvc with rubber coupling. Wiggles with prybar.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to remove iron stack section-20190318_213446_1552963281964.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,784

Re: Best way to remove iron stack section

Cut the rubber with a knife???
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 22,730

If you smash it really hard with a big hammer the cast iron will break. Support the pipes above it first so they don't sag down and wear good goggles.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 05:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Cut the rubber with a knife???
Can't access the rubber coupling. Building inspector on the prior project wanted the gap around the pipe fireblocked so I had to spray fireblock foam around it and the space is tight enough that it's difficult to get the foam out.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
If you smash it really hard with a big hammer the cast iron will break. Support the pipes above it first so they don't sag down and wear good goggles.
This is how I've done much of the rest of the system, but this being the last section I want to avoid this if possible because in my experiencearge chunks will fall into the pipe below leaving something to catch toilet paper and build up a blockage. Granted that 2hrn this happened before the blockage formed at the house trap, which I have now removed, but I want to keep iron debris from falling in if there is another way.

The pipe above is 8' long straight pvc and it stays in place just by virtue of the roof flange. It's only there to vent gas to outside until the new pipe can go in

Another concern is that if I smashed too much iron pipe it would leave a small stub with no good way to grab it. Maybe if I just try to take out the horizontal toilet elbow branch and that allows me to get more angle when I wiggle it then it'll come free easier
Old 03-19-2019, 05:59 AM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,784

Drill and vacuum the foam out of the way????

Stick a sawsall thru the wall downstairs and cut the PVC??
Old 03-19-2019, 06:46 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,020

#1 The first thing you need to do is install riser clamps. on the floors above to keep the heavy pipe from slipping down or crashing down to the basement. Look up riser clamps on line you'll see what they look like.

# 2 start removing the pipe floor at a time and replace as needed.

#3 you can rent a cast iron chain cutter from Home Depot or just hit it with a heavy hammer it will break out.

#4 Remember it's really HEAVY.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:08 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,994

I used grinder to cut small pieces while spraying around the area with water just in case fiberglass insulation caught fire. The pvc above, it may slip throught the roof flashing so even if it feels held, better to support with pipe clamp, straps and even the pvc pipes must be supported.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #9
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,050

Loosen the fernco clamp and push it up out of the way. Push the whole PVC vent stack up about 12 to 16". Take a rag rolled up with a string attached to it and push it down the cast iron with a stick. Now you can bust it up without worries of broken pcs falling in the drain. Gloves and glasses are a must, but would prefer face shield as well.

When finished and you lower the stack back down, check that your roof boot isn't inverting on the pipe. This would create a dish for water to collect and would surely leak in time.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
#1 The first thing you need to do is install riser clamps. on the floors above to keep the heavy pipe from slipping down or crashing down to the basement. Look up riser clamps on line you'll see what they look like.

# 2 start removing the pipe floor at a time and replace as needed.

#3 you can rent a cast iron chain cutter from Home Depot or just hit it with a heavy hammer it will break out.

This is what I've done, cast iron was removed in the first floor, basement and under the basement floor up to the point beyond the foundation wall, and above the section pictured I removed the iron pipe in 3 sections about 3' each.

Quote:
#4 Remember it's really HEAVY.

Probably about 40 lbs or so for what's left. The 3 sections are currently rolling around in the back of my truck waiting for me to get the time to take them to metal recycling.
COLDIRON likes this.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
I used grinder to cut small pieces while spraying around the area with water just in case fiberglass insulation caught fire. The pvc above, it may slip throught the roof flashing so even if it feels held, better to support with pipe clamp, straps and even the pvc pipes must be supported.
For that matter I'll just be removing the PVC above. I need to add in a sanitary T to join in the vent from the bathtub before the roof exit anyway, and then pushing it backup through the boot will ensure it's not inverted.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Loosen the fernco clamp and push it up out of the way. Push the whole PVC vent stack up about 12 to 16". Take a rag rolled up with a string attached to it and push it down the cast iron with a stick. Now you can bust it up without worries of broken pcs falling in the drain. Gloves and glasses are a must, but would prefer face shield as well.

When finished and you lower the stack back down, check that your roof boot isn't inverting on the pipe. This would create a dish for water to collect and would surely leak in time.
That's why I come here... My thoughts were centering around putting something at the cleanout in the basement to block debris from going into under the concrete floor, that sounds better.
Yodaman likes this.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #13

So just to follow up, I got it done last night. Thanks for all suggestions, I used more than I expected. Whacking it with a hammer, hacking at it with a sawzall, prying out pieces of foam... I even used a tow strap going up to the ceiling joist above so I could get some vertical force as I used a prybar to wiggle it back and forth.

Ultimately I believe what was holding it in was the spray foam which adhered well to the studs and wrapped around the hub on the sanitary t fitting. When it finally pulled out the fernco came up with the iron pipe.
Yodaman and Nealtw like this.
Advertisement