Best Way To Clear This Short, Under-Mobile-Home 3" Sewer Line? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,098

Best Way To Clear This Short, Under-Mobile-Home 3" Sewer Line?

This 3" sewer line drops vertically from commode to just above the concrete pad, then a 90 elbow to a short 6-foot horizontal run with minimal slope. This home probably sank into the ground a little, as it's not all on a concrete pad. Homeowner is not interested attempting to correct this slope for now -- it's been working OK.

Will be removing the commode and just saw this 40' flat rod on Home Depot's site. Says it's for clearing minimum of 2" pipe to maximum of 4" pipe.

I don't yet know if the blockage is in the homeowner's above-ground (just barely) pipe, or if it's below ground level which is the park's responsibility. Cannot raise the elbow out of the mouth of the down-leg (I call it) to watch it when flushing, because one of the wheel axles is resting smack dab right on this elbow. Have no idea how it got that way. Will be watching the mouth of the down-leg tomorrow while flushing the commode if I have a helper, but if not, I figured manually feeding at least a 15-foot auger of some sort would tell me where the blockage is... assuming I could feel the resistance while using the auger or rod.

I have 1/4" x 25' snake in a manually operated drum (turning it), but assume that's too small.

Grateful for any better ideas...

Last edited by justplumducky; 05-04-2016 at 09:46 PM.
justplumducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Might be a good job for one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/drain-tornado-96850.html

or:
http://www.harborfreight.com/large-d...der-99941.html

Maybe not the Horrible Freight version, though, unless you'll only use it once.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #3

I've used a smaller version of the large drain cleaning bladder on kitchen drain lines in mobile homes. Never occurred to me to use a larger one on this problem. Might do that or might do both... both being using the large bladder after feeding the rod or auger down there first in attempt to see if the blockage is in the above-ground pipe or in the below-ground pipe. Thx much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 28

Not to fond of the flat tape, even less of the bladders. They both work on soft plugs but if it is a real problem your going to need a power snake. You will have to have a turning cable with blades. Or a real jet auger. any of these could just do the trick depending on cause of the slowdown.
Home chepo rents the cable machines in my area.
Best of luck!!! You may have a real mess ahead of you...pun intended.
Blaine125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine125 View Post
Not to fond of the flat tape, even less of the bladders. They both work on soft plugs but if it is a real problem your going to need a power snake. You will have to have a turning cable with blades. Or a real jet auger. any of these could just do the trick depending on cause of the slowdown.
Home chepo rents the cable machines in my area.
Best of luck!!! You may have a real mess ahead of you...pun intended.
Thx for your reply. What's a jet auger?
Old 09-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 28

power jetters are the new way many sewer cleaning companies clear the sewer line now. They are high pressure water jet systems. Using high pressure water (2000 - 6000 psi) from the pumps through specially designed hoses and nosels. The hose is pulled through the line by the water pressure and cleans everything out of the pipe.
They can be very messy if the blockage is way down the pipe and the hose cannot be pushed in very far.
Superior cleaning of the pipe. Takes out tree roots too.
Blaine125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine125 View Post
power jetters are the new way many sewer cleaning companies clear the sewer line now. They are high pressure water jet systems. Using high pressure water (2000 - 6000 psi) from the pumps through specially designed hoses and nosels. The hose is pulled through the line by the water pressure and cleans everything out of the pipe.
They can be very messy if the blockage is way down the pipe and the hose cannot be pushed in very far.
Superior cleaning of the pipe. Takes out tree roots too.
Cool beans, thx much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement