Best Fix For This Toilet Flange - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lenaitch

Old 11-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 76

Best fix for this toilet flange

Redoing my mom's bathroom and starting the tile. The toilet flange is a PVC with metal flange. But the metal flange is mostly gone. Nothing left of the flange to use the bolts to hold the toilet to the flange. I bought a metal ring that screws to the floor but thinking that I need more then that since there still won't be anything to secure the flange. The flange and PVC pipe have some play, as in it can move up and down about 1/2". I'm thinking I need something that will secure to the current flange/PVC pipe and then screw that to the floor. This will secure the flange from moving and then when I put the toilet on the bolts will hold the flange and toilet together.

Here are a couple pics. Just seeing what is the best repair flange to use here.

Best fix for this toilet flange-img_20161119_182420366.jpg

Best fix for this toilet flange-img_20161119_182434375.jpg
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,594

Re: Best fix for this toilet flange

They many different versions of a "repair flange".

Here is one version.

Name:  9c92_1.jpeg
Views: 1891
Size:  21.6 KB
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2016, 08:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 76

I have one of those, you can see it in my pictures. But right now the flange isn't really supported right now and it has about 1/2" of play in it up and down. So if I use a metal one like I have and that you posted it doesn't attach to the flange that is there right now. So it will screw to the floor and give something solid for the toilet to bolt to but there will be nothing to hold the flange to the toilet.

I'm thinking I need something like this that actually secures to the current flange, https://www.zoro.com/oatey-toilet-fl...B&gclsrc=aw.ds. But was hoping someone could give some advice on whih one would work best for my situation.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,684

Don't think the Oatey flange you want to use is going to work. It is designed to fit in the toilet bend and you already have a flange in there. Your present flange can be removed but you don't want to do that unless you have to.

Suggest you place the repair ring over the existing flange. Use the holes in the outer tabs to bolt to the floor. Use the four intermost holes to screw to the existing flange. If those holes don't line up you can always drill a couple more that do.
Attached Images

Last edited by hkstroud; 11-20-2016 at 12:06 PM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 18,762

Access from below or is this a slab?
Old 12-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 16

Hello there. New to my house in El Paso, DIY, and this post.

I am also experiencing the same problem as Ponch37300, however, how do I bolt the new metal flange to the cement floor which is under the large (nice!) tiles? I've never had nice tiles like this and the only thing I've secured to hard surfaces is a flag pole in red brick. I used the blue TAPCON screws....

As you can see in the pics the lovely job the last owners left for me to fix is quite the job, but it's still attached to the pvc flange (secured on outside of 3" pipe - weird).

1. How do I get the old metal ring off the flange?

2. If it is flush with the floor, do I need to get additional risers to make it sit just above floor level?

3. Can I use TAPCON screws to secure new ring to cement floor, with drilling pilot holes of course?

(I haven't quite figured out how to attach pics yet. When I click on the attach picture button, it asks for a website and not the ability to browse to where my pics are...and of course I can't post a link until I make one post without a link to the 4 pics of my beautiful rusted/rotted flange ring...)

Thanks!
bleednate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleednate View Post
Hello there. New to my house in El Paso, DIY, and this post.

I am also experiencing the same problem as Ponch37300, however, how do I bolt the new metal flange to the cement floor which is under the large (nice!) tiles? I've never had nice tiles like this and the only thing I've secured to hard surfaces is a flag pole in red brick. I used the blue TAPCON screws....

As you can see in the pics the lovely job the last owners left for me to fix is quite the job, but it's still attached to the pvc flange (secured on outside of 3" pipe - weird).

1. How do I get the old metal ring off the flange?

2. If it is flush with the floor, do I need to get additional risers to make it sit just above floor level?

3. Can I use TAPCON screws to secure new ring to cement floor, with drilling pilot holes of course?

(I haven't quite figured out how to attach pics yet. When I click on the attach picture button, it asks for a website and not the ability to browse to where my pics are...and of course I can't post a link until I make one post without a link to the 4 pics of my beautiful rusted/rotted flange ring...)

Thanks!
I would suggest that you start your own post (or perhaps a mod will move your entry). Although the problem may be similar to the OP, it gets confusing regarding who we are talking to, which photos we are referencing, etc.
supers05 and bleednate like this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
bleednate (12-04-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement