Bending 4" PVC Drain Pipe Under Concrete Floor - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By de-nagorg

Old 01-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 375
Question

Bending 4" PVC Drain Pipe Under Concrete Floor

As part of a new master bath, we are installing a 4" sanitary drain to a sewage pump in the basement. I'm trenching about 25 feet of the basement floor and will stub up the pipe on a far wall with a cleanout. It will then branch off to the various fixtures of a new master bath.

This is a very old house that we are working on and, as usual, it has presented several obstacles to our project. All was going well as I started opening up this ditch. Concrete seemed to be about 2 1/2"- 3" thick. But about eight feet in, I encountered massively thick concrete. I cannot saw cut it nearly deep enough to break cleanly, and it looks to be at least ten or so inches thick.

After talking to the previous owner's daughter, she told me that for whatever reason, the old basement had about a six foot by eight foot hole in the middle of the floor. Her dad had this hole filled with what looks like construction junk (bricks, concrete chips, etc...) and then poured a foot of concrete over it.

Not something I want to fight with a jackhammer for eight more feet. So...

I would like to saddle the pipe about a foot to go around the obstacle. I would prefer to have a gentle "swoop" to this saddle instead of using 45 degree fittings. I have the capability to bend big inch PVC. I believe it would make a smoother flow path, and would certainly make it easier to snake (if ever needed) without four 45 degree fittings, essentially a 90 degree bend.

Question is, is this an acceptable, or even common method of installation? Should I use 45's?

Thanks in advance.
al_smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,920

Re: Bending 4" PVC Drain Pipe Under Concrete Floor

It will leave a low spot on either end of the swale, that will never completely drain, causing everlasting plugging or slow drainage.

So I think that using the proper elbows, with a cleanout at both sides of the hump would be next.

They make large concrete saws that you can rent, to score the "Crap" (pun intended ) out of the thicker section, then use the jackhammer to break it out.

ED
COLDIRON and Nealtw like this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

If the new master bath is on the first floor, why does it have to go to an ejector pump? Normally, the main sewer line (main drain) is a few feet above the cellar floor.

If you still have to cut through that mess of concrete, rent a 14" saw & an electric jackhammer.
https://hgcdn82.azureedge.net/qs_mh=...c210-0254.ashx
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_smelter View Post
As part of a new master bath, we are installing a 4" sanitary drain to a sewage pump in the basement. I'm trenching about 25 feet of the basement floor and will stub up the pipe on a far wall with a cleanout. It will then branch off to the various fixtures of a new master bath.

This is a very old house that we are working on and, as usual, it has presented several obstacles to our project. All was going well as I started opening up this ditch. Concrete seemed to be about 2 1/2"- 3" thick. But about eight feet in, I encountered massively thick concrete. I cannot saw cut it nearly deep enough to break cleanly, and it looks to be at least ten or so inches thick.

After talking to the previous owner's daughter, she told me that for whatever reason, the old basement had about a six foot by eight foot hole in the middle of the floor. Her dad had this hole filled with what looks like construction junk (bricks, concrete chips, etc...) and then poured a foot of concrete over it.

Not something I want to fight with a jackhammer for eight more feet. So...

I would like to saddle the pipe about a foot to go around the obstacle. I would prefer to have a gentle "swoop" to this saddle instead of using 45 degree fittings. I have the capability to bend big inch PVC. I believe it would make a smoother flow path, and would certainly make it easier to snake (if ever needed) without four 45 degree fittings, essentially a 90 degree bend.

Question is, is this an acceptable, or even common method of installation? Should I use 45's?

Thanks in advance.
yikes - don't be surprised if all that trash under that thickened slab has sunk/settled...
I'd use pea gravel or sand if allowed - easier all around...
field bend is discouraged & definitely not acceptable if inspected...
you could use a drill with concrete bit to map out your thickened slab
definitely use 45s but that said (4) 45 = 180 degrees

Peace
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
If the new master bath is on the first floor, why does it have to go to an ejector pump? Normally, the main sewer line (main drain) is a few feet above the cellar floor.
Good question. The drain to the septic tank is almost six feet off the basement floor. Ceilings in the basement are only sevenish feet (it's like a tricked out dungeon). I cannot run from one end of the house to the other overhead and still get correct 1/4" slope without going below ceiling height. There is an existing bathroom in the basement that pipes into an ejector pump system, so tying into it is the most feasible way to get from point A to point B.

Oh, and this is all happening in a finished basement. The War Wagon wanted new carpet down there anyway, so we're simply making this gash beforehand. I have plenty access to big saws, and actually tried to use one, but the amount of dust it threw made for an impossible atmosphere (no windows to duct it out). I also cannot use unlimited water for the furniture still in the room.

We have a system that is working well using a small angle grinder with diamond blade. She handles the water while I make the cuts. The grinder can cut about 2" depth. We cut about two feet at a time with towels on both sides of the cut line, then stop to sweep the water into the ditch section made prior. I jackhammer the two feet, remove the pieces, and start over. It's almost harder to explain than to do. It takes only two or three minutes to make two parallel cuts two feet long (very thin kerf), and it makes very little dust.

I bought a full size electric jackhammer as it's cost was less than rental on a hammer. I'm not in a panic to get this done, though I do kind of miss my man cave, so I could conceivably need to rent for several weeks. I can also use it again when I revamp the sidewalks out back.

Ah, this idea was just a thought for the lazy streak in me. The lines are already laid out for a straight through install, and I have managed to carve a foot through the hole from hell already, so I'll just power through the other seven feet and move on to the more fun parts.

Thanks for your insight folks.
al_smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

How about running a separate PVC pipe from just under the ceiling, along the wall & connect to the pump, at the end of the run? That will give you the needed slope or better & no reason to blast through the concrete.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement