Bathtub 3 Handle Stem Removal - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

bathtub 3 handle stem removal

Hi and thanks in advance for any help.
I have what I believe to be an American Standard Century style 3 handle bath fixture. The hot water side leaks and I would like to replace the stem.
I believe it is a compression fitted stem which needs to be pulled out of the fixture but I am not sure. Looking into the wall, I see no "nut" where I could unscrew the stem but I would appreciate someone giving me a definite answer before pulling the whole unit through the shower wall.
I'll attach a few pics for you to review.
Attached Thumbnails
bathtub 3 handle stem removal-p1150055.jpg   bathtub 3 handle stem removal-p1190056.jpg   bathtub 3 handle stem removal-p1190058.jpg  
stogie4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,220

keep breaking open the tile, there is a nut way back in there, you will need a set of deep stem wrenches to get it out..
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #3

Nope, no nut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #4

if all you want to do is replace the stem, just put the handle back on the stem and unscrew counter clockwise like you are turning the water on and it will come out, those large screw threads are what the stem ride on to go in and out...your 3rd pic is of the stem...just twist and pull, it could have some junk built up on it thats giving you a bit of a tuff time..some of that old stuff has a mind of its own...

Last edited by WhatRnsdownhill; 01-21-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #5

I'll give that a shot but probably not until this weekend.
I'll let you know how I made out.
Thanks again
Old 01-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 108

What is the vintage of this American Standard Century style 3 handle bath fixture? I figured most if not all of these 3 handle bath fixtures had a hexagonal nut. Good luck with your project.
Lutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

The house was built in 1964.
I have opened up the hole a little more to get a better look inside and I cannot see any nut in there.
Doing a little research I understand that this could be a compression type stem.
As you can see, I am not a plumber but I do like to do as much as I can on my own.
Hope this answer helps.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie4me View Post
The house was built in 1964.
I have opened up the hole a little more to get a better look inside and I cannot see any nut in there.
Doing a little research I understand that this could be a compression type stem.
As you can see, I am not a plumber but I do like to do as much as I can on my own.
Hope this answer helps.
Stogie, hopefully my question didn't come off as dismissive as that wasn't my intention at all. Similar to you, I am not a plumber, but have done some plumbing work in the past. Thankfully not that much, as this work can be a real bear.

Last year this had taken me two if not more hours to remove a Moen cartridge from my shower as this unit was not only corroded, but developed a leak as well.

Personally I was just curious about the system that was installed, as I figured most had used a fastener system of some sort. Perhaps not I guess?

Likewise, if I can I prefer to do work myself, but I also know my limits. Sometimes this is better to call a licensed professional, at least that is my experience with some work.
Lutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #9

on your 3rd picture down, can you take a pair of channel locks and spin the stem counter clockwise and pull...? the 2nd picture is the piece holding in the stem, the inside grooves are what the stem twists on to go in and out, it might just have some corrosion built up holding it in...
Old 01-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutron View Post
Stogie, hopefully my question didn't come off as dismissive as that wasn't my intention at all. Similar to you, I am not a plumber, but have done some plumbing work in the past. Thankfully not that much, as this work can be a real bear.

Last year this had taken me two if not more hours to remove a Moen cartridge from my shower as this unit was not only corroded, but developed a leak as well.

Personally I was just curious about the system that was installed, as I figured most had used a fastener system of some sort. Perhaps not I guess?

Likewise, if I can I prefer to do work myself, but I also know my limits. Sometimes this is better to call a licensed professional, at least that is my experience with some work.
I did not take your question in any way as but a question.
I appreciate any and all help since, again, I am not a plumber but would like to learn how to fix things myself. That's why we come to these forums.
I appreciate your help and your questions also.
Of course, I would have liked to see a nut to unscrew which would have been a simple fix but as I told my wife, because I am attempting to fix it myself of course it has to be something I have never encountered before.
No problems Lutron
Old 01-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
on your 3rd picture down, can you take a pair of channel locks and spin the stem counter clockwise and pull...? the 2nd picture is the piece holding in the stem, the inside grooves are what the stem twists on to go in and out, it might just have some corrosion built up holding it in...

I am going back to work on it this week. I figured since the stem rides on the piece holding in the stem I will use that to my advantage and back it out a bit and crank the stem out until it hits the stop and repeat until I get the stem out.
Appreciate all your responses and will update you if and when I get it repaired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement