Bathroom Sink Leaking - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nevada
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 74
Default

Bathroom Sink Leaking


All of a sudden I notice that under my bathroom sink is wet and I see that it is leaking. I looked under there and I expected it to be leaking from one of the pipes but it is not. It is leaking from the sink itself. I always thought a sink was one piece but from what i saw under there Im not so sure. In the picture you can see a black metal piece and that is where it seems to be leaking from. I drew a red line in the photo and it is leaking to the left of that line. Is that black piece part of sink itself? Anyway, is this something that can be stopped with a sealant or will I need to replace the whole sink? About a week ago I noticed that the sink was draining slowly so I used backing soda and vinegar in the hole. I don't think would have caused it to start leaking. So here is my picture. Thanks for any advice.

DoubleHumbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
Plumber
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 11,399
Rewards Points: 188
Default


Based on the info you provided- you'll need a new sink.
The black piece you reference is the over flow channel- this drains from the inside front of the sink.
It appears the seal has failed where it connects to the main drain and I don't think a sealant will hold it.
A stamped steel sink such as yours are very economical to purchase, but I'd recommend a slight upgrade to a drop-in porcelain sink. Yours looks like a 19x17 oval sink- that is readily available in porcelain.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-07-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nevada
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 74
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Based on the info you provided- you'll need a new sink.
The black piece you reference is the over flow channel- this drains from the inside front of the sink.
It appears the seal has failed where it connects to the main drain and I don't think a sealant will hold it.
A stamped steel sink such as yours are very economical to purchase, but I'd recommend a slight upgrade to a drop-in porcelain sink. Yours looks like a 19x17 oval sink- that is readily available in porcelain.
Thanks. I will just get a new sink. Is this something I can do? Im pretty handy but Im not a plumber. I can't see it being too expensive to have a plumber install it for me.
DoubleHumbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 66
Rewards Points: 114
Default


You dont need to be a plumber to replace the sink, any homeowner can do it! just take your time. It might not be too expensive to have a plumber do it, but if you can do it yourself its still money saved!
Chrisathome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrisathome For This Useful Post:
DoubleHumbucker (11-07-2015), gregzoll (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 12:05 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 79
Rewards Points: 158
Default


The metal piece is clearly developing rust from the inside. The vinegar you poured down the drain, albeit being somewhat neutralized by the baking soda, probably caused the already rusting overflow channel to speed up and rust faster. Between the bottom bowl of the sink and the connection points of the the metal, the overflow channel apparently lost its seal. This is most likely what caused your leak. Sealant is a gamble you do not want to take, as a simple ignorance will cost hundreds to thousands in damages down the road.

Bathroom sinks are 1 1/4" PVC standard pipe connections. The hardest part is removing the sink from the vanity if it is glued in. You'll need to cut it carefully to prevent damage to the vanity. Prep your sink as much as possible before dropping it in- install the faucet, drain assembly, so you don't have to work too much inside the vanity (i.e. plumber's butt). Connections are super easy after that. Watch YouTube videos online, I recommend House Improvement by Shannon, he's a great guy and easy to follow.
mikemark8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikemark8808 For This Useful Post:
DoubleHumbucker (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 02:23 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652
Default


Mikemark8808, what metal piece? You mean the sink? Cheap sink, cheap counter, Who knows what the rest of the drain looks like.

The OP needs a new sink and a day with no one in the house, to get the job done.

Also not to forget a bunch of folded towels to rest their head & shoulders on, while they are laying on their back, or on their stomach, hookins everything up.

In my book, this is one of those projects that you make up any excuse, that it is going to take you at least six hours to do. But you get it done in 2-3, as long as you do not have to do the Six trip rule to the hardware store.

Personally I would take the sink in with the drain stem attached, hoses with me, into the hardware store, so that you get the right size sink, any other parts needed, such as a new faucet, along with the hoses, putty and caulk.



gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Chrisathome (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 79
Rewards Points: 158
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHumbucker View Post
In the picture you can see a black metal piece and that is where it seems to be leaking from.
That metal piece . Gregzoll did you even look at the picture?

Last edited by mikemark8808; 11-07-2015 at 09:56 AM.
mikemark8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nevada
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 74
Default


Thanks for the helpful replies. I do have a couple of questions. I will take the old sink in as I was going to do that anyway to be sure I get the correct size. Besides the faucets is the only other connection that needs to be made is the drain under the sink? I guess that was only one question. Thanks again.
DoubleHumbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 79
Rewards Points: 158
Default


Yes, you need to do:

1 - attach faucet to sink securely w/plumber's putty or according to manufacture's instructions
2 - attach drain assembly to sink w/putty or manufacture. make sure it is long enough for your p-trap to get to
3 - attach sink to vanity w/ good construction adhesive
4 - hook up supply lines. buy supply lines same length you have, do not reuse old ones. they are cheap
5 - reattach old p trap, hand tight. make sure you have good washers so no leaks
6 - Test for leaks done.
mikemark8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikemark8808 For This Useful Post:
DoubleHumbucker (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nevada
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 74
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemark8808 View Post
Yes, you need to do:

1 - attach faucet to sink securely w/plumber's putty or according to manufacture's instructions
2 - attach drain assembly to sink w/putty or manufacture. make sure it is long enough for your p-trap to get to
3 - attach sink to vanity w/ good construction adhesive
4 - hook up supply lines. buy supply lines same length you have, do not reuse old ones. they are cheap
5 - reattach old p trap, hand tight. make sure you have good washers so no leaks
6 - Test for leaks done.
Got it and thanks. I should be able to handle this one.
DoubleHumbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #11
Plumber
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 11,399
Rewards Points: 188
Default


More tips--
To remove the sink, use a razor knife to cut and release the caulking bond around the perimeter of the sink.
Also remove the mounting screws from underneath. Disconnect the supply lines and trap.
Using a narrow, stiff putty knife gently pry the sink from the laminate surface. If you attempt to lift it without breaking the caulk bond you stand a good chance of chipping the laminate surface- not good.

Your sink is either 19x17 oval or a basic round lav. Buy a china replacement instead steel- they are reasonably priced and will last.

Mount your faucet to the new lav. It should have a plastic putty ring so no putty needed on the faucet.
Connect the new supply lines to the faucet and install the pop up drain assembly using a ring of putty around the flange to seal it. If it's a plastic assembly- do not over tighten or you'll strip the threads.

Lay a bead of Dap or Kwickseal water base silicon caulk around the edge of the hole and drop your sink into the hole.
Now, make the drain and water connections underneath- try not to move the lav while the caulk cures. If it does just clean up the smear with a damp cloth.

Test the fixtures for leaks and lay a small bead of caulk around the lav when done- This is about a 1hr job for a plumber
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
Chrisathome (11-07-2015), DoubleHumbucker (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nevada
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 74
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
More tips--
To remove the sink, use a razor knife to cut and release the caulking bond around the perimeter of the sink.
Also remove the mounting screws from underneath. Disconnect the supply lines and trap.
Using a narrow, stiff putty knife gently pry the sink from the laminate surface. If you attempt to lift it without breaking the caulk bond you stand a good chance of chipping the laminate surface- not good.

Your sink is either 19x17 oval or a basic round lav. Buy a china replacement instead steel- they are reasonably priced and will last.

Mount your faucet to the new lav. It should have a plastic putty ring so no putty needed on the faucet.
Connect the new supply lines to the faucet and install the pop up drain assembly using a ring of putty around the flange to seal it. If it's a plastic assembly- do not over tighten or you'll strip the threads.

Lay a bead of Dap or Kwickseal water base silicon caulk around the edge of the hole and drop your sink into the hole.
Now, make the drain and water connections underneath- try not to move the lav while the caulk cures. If it does just clean up the smear with a damp cloth.

Test the fixtures for leaks and lay a small bead of caulk around the lav when done- This is about a 1hr job for a plumber
Thanks. Either Monday or Tuesday I will go get everything I need and report back on how it goes. Will all the good help, it should be fine.
DoubleHumbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleHumbucker For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemark8808 View Post
That metal piece . Gregzoll did you even look at the picture?

Yes I did. Cheap sink. The leak is between the bottom of the sink and the plastic.

Had nothing about what they poured down it. it has to do with cheap Chinese crap flooding the construction markets.



gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652
Default


Watch out on the Plumbers Putty. It takes a few times to get it right, if you are not used to it. Especially with the Porcelain sinks.

I always make a rope to place against the bottom of the drain. Then sit the drain in the hole, give it a slight push, pull it up and pull out any that gets down around the overflow holes, then push it down, while using a long screwdriver to get the drain lined up with the overflows, to make sure that they are clear.

It actually helps to to do the drain and faucet while it is out of the counter. That way you can hold it up, so that you can hold the drain from moving and tighten the nut, the re-check everything, before dropping the sink in, after having a beer and a break. Then finish it up.

I actually use a couple of Beach Towels on the floor for padding to lay on, and one folded inside, so that it makes it easier to not have the edge digging into you.

When you go. Check the Clearance racks first. You may find a decent deal on the faucet and my find a better light the what you have now, if you have an over the sink light.



gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
DoubleHumbucker (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nevada
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 74
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Yes I did. Cheap sink. The leak is between the bottom of the sink and the plastic.

Had nothing about what they poured down it. it has to do with cheap Chinese crap flooding the construction markets.
We bought this house about a year ago and it was built here in 2000 so it's about 15-16 years old. A new sink is due.
DoubleHumbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bathroom Sink Drain - Correct Fitting for Wall Connection tev9999 Plumbing 5 12-24-2013 07:35 AM
NEC - what is the purpose of some of these codes ? chez bouton Electrical 32 12-17-2013 02:04 PM
Upstairs bathroom sink leaking through ceiling Cdessel Plumbing 7 11-17-2011 07:52 PM
new sink drain assembly is leaking suziesmith Plumbing 5 03-03-2011 03:34 PM
Retrofit bathroom vanity with above counter sink Sushijung General DIY Discussions 10 11-26-2010 01:47 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts