Bathroom Sink Leak - Odd Situation - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 46

Bathroom sink leak - odd situation

Hello and thanks in advance for you replies.

I have a 96" single vanity dual sink configuration in my bathroom (cultured marble). I had a slow cold water drip from one facet which is not a huge deal. I contact Pfiester and received a new cartridge. I installed the new cartridge today without issue and the drip was gone which is good, however I discovered another issue. When I shutoff the water via the supply line under the sink, I noticed a few drops of water which I thought came from the valve ... I chalked this up to an old valve. After replacing the cartridge, I took a closer look under the sink and spotted water dripping from the actual bowl which seems very odd!

I took a flashlight under the sink and behind the bowl looking to see if the cartridge was leaking, etc. - no dice. I plugged the drain and placed a few drops of food coloring in the water, as I was curious to know if the integrity of the bowl was compromised in some odd way - no dice (no drips when the bowl was holding water). I then ran the hot water and noticed the drips (this rules out issues with the cold water cartridge). My focus now turns to the drain neck/assembly.

Is it possible to have a leak between the drain flange and the pee trap? I have worked on various leaks over the years, but this is new for me.
indydiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,860

Re: Bathroom sink leak - odd situation

Block the sink off and fill it up. See if it has a leak. But to answer your question yes it is possible.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #3

I filled the sink and no leak. This is an odd situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #4

A quick pict to help. https://goo.gl/photos/UxEh6RdPFAuSJsUq7
Old 09-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,296

Let all parts dry out and test again using a mirror to look at the back parts as well. If the drain tail is plastic, I had a problem where deep plastic threads didn't seal to the rubber bevel washer.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,596

Dry the area then with a piece of tissue begin testing for wet at the highest point possible above where the arrow is pointing and work down.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #7

The leak appears to be coming from inside the hard plastic wrap as seen in the image. When I plug the drain and full the bowl with water, I have not leak. I only see the leak/drip when I run the water (hot or cold). In addition, I see not water coming from the backside of the sink (water connections, etc.). I am going to take the drain apart and inspect further. The sink does not have an overflow hole built-in but the drain stem does. I wonder if the drain stem is pushing water into the casting and the casting has a leak/crack of some sort. If this is the case, I will need a solid drain stem to prevent water from exiting the two holes.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 6,684

If you have a leak only when running water then the leak must be in the valve itself The water leaking out is running down the mounting holes, getting between the sink and the plastic cover. Show picture of faucet. Is the faucet all one piece or do you have two valves, one for hot and one for cold with a separate spout?
Since you said it leaks when you run either hot or cold, I suspect you have two knobs and a separate spout. If that is correct I would suspect the leak to be at the connection of the tubing from the knobs to the spout.

Show pic.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
If you have a leak only when running water then the leak must be in the valve itself The water leaking out is running down the mounting holes, getting between the sink and the plastic cover. Show picture of faucet. Is the faucet all one piece or do you have two valves, one for hot and one for cold with a separate spout?
Since you said it leaks when you run either hot or cold, I suspect you have two knobs and a separate spout. If that is correct I would suspect the leak to be at the connection of the tubing from the knobs to the spout.

Show pic.
You are correct on multiple fronts! The faucet does have two handles with a single spout and I believe your description of the leak is accurate, however I do not believe the water is leaking from the connection.

I gained ground today by installing a new drain tube w/o overflow and still had a leak. I took a closer look and believe I found the issue. When I replaced the cold cartridge, I believe it never sealed. I shutoff the cold water supply, took the handle back off the cold, removed the cartridge, and ran the hot. Water slowly came up through the cold cartridge location. I replaced the cold cartridge and locked down the brass nut. Unfortunately, water continues to leak from the cartridge (running cold or hot), down the stem, and ultimately to the bowl.

I closely inspected the cartridge, o-rings, etc. I noticed the cartridge did not sit right - a bit slanted. When Pfiester sent me the cartridge, the unit did not look right. I called them when the unit arrived and they said the cartridge was for a newer model, but it was meant to be retrofitted for an older model (mine) ... I suspect this is not the case.

After making the discovery today, I called them back to detail the situation. In short, they were very nice and accommodating ... they offered to send me a whole new faucet. I have experienced similar support from Delta but this was my first with Pfiester ... Pfiester is now on my good-to-buy list.

I will know for certain when I connect a new faucet, but I suspect this was the issue.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,684

Congratulations, sometimes it takes a bit of detective work to find a leak.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement