Bathroom Reconfiguration - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 374

Bathroom Reconfiguration

Hello everyone.

I'm moving some things around in my bathroom and I want to make sure the new configuration doesn't have any potential problems. Granted, I haven't torn everything out yet, but from what I've seen I assume this is what I've got. Of course, if further demo reveals something different I'll update my question with new diagrams. Anyhoo, do you see any potential issues with the attached change?

Thanks!
CG
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Reconfiguration-plumbing.jpg  
costgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #2

Re: Bathroom Reconfiguration

I'd like to add to this question you don't mind taking a look at this too.

This vent is right where my shower floor is going to go. They didn't go straight down with it because of a joist underneath. I'll have to do the same thing they did, but I'll run it through a shower wall about 12" to the right of where it is now. My question is can the vent make 90 degree turns through that stud if I do it well above the highest overflow point in the bathroom?
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Reconfiguration-20160312_133731.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,938

You can go horizontal with your vent once your 6 inches above the flood level rim of the fixtures it will serve. Your drawing shows no lavatory sink has it been removed?

As drawn your toilet will need a 3 inch wye with it being picked up separately with the branch of the wye. The end of your wye can be bushed down to 2 inch. You will need to run 2 inch to your vent on the tub reducing after the vent to 1.5 inch for the tub trap. The shower will need a 2 inch trap as long as you don't go crazy with shower heads. Over 4 heads you need a 3 inch trap on the shower. What you have is called a circuit vent as long as all the traps are not higher then the main line unless you revent them it should work well. The exception to this is the toilet.

You should pull a plumbing permit and have inspections also code in your area may vary from code in my area.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
costgeek (03-12-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #4

There's a second vent in the bathroom that is closer to the sinks. I suspect they are connected to that. Like I said, I have some more demo to so if my guess is incorrect, I'll have to re-evaluate.

Thank you for your detailed answer!

CG
Old 03-12-2016, 05:09 PM   #5

Hey just one more quick question. You said "with it being picked up separately with the branch of the wye". What do you mean by being picked up separately?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,938

It would be better if you drew an isometric that shows the branches. I assumed you were in front of the toilet with the main drain and you would have to pick it up with a 45 in the wye branch in the horizontal and a 90 looking up to pick up the toilet flange.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:51 AM   #7

Sorry to take so long getting back. The attached pic may give you a better idea of what the new configuration will look like. You had said use a 3" wye then bush it down to 2". Given this pic, shouldn't I use a 2" wye and bush it down from 3" before the wye?
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Reconfiguration-branches.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
change , plumbing , vent