Bathroom PVC Venting In I-beam Joists? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

Bathroom PVC venting in I-beam joists?

Hello,

I am finishing my basement bathroom in my 2015 built home in Minnesota (Carver County). The PVC vent stack shown in the picture is part of the rough in that was done by the builder. I would like to move this to be in between the I-beam joists so I don?t have to drop the ceiling down.

What are the restrictions when doing this? For example, is there a minimum slope that is needed? Anything else I should be aware of?

The duct work is flexible so there is enough space and it would make the bathroom much more open if possible. Any advice appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom PVC venting in I-beam joists?-img_9066_1482980750439.jpg   Bathroom PVC venting in I-beam joists?-img_7870_1482980784908.jpg  
mattylance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 290

Re: Bathroom PVC venting in I-beam joists?

First, identify the joist manufacturer. Then go to their website and determine from the spec sheets how big and where you can drill for pipes. There shouldn't be an issue though.

The vent should have 1/4" grade down toward the fixtures and do not offset it for the ductwork- once you offset up it cannot come back down..
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 288

Make sure you buy extra couplings. You'll only be able to get a fairly short piece of pipe in there at a time. It's a pretty short run so it won't be too bad.

Where it 90s up and into the joists, that pipe is your high point and you can work backwards down from there. Like Eplumber said 1/4" slope. If that is too much slope and will have you out of the plywood of the joists by the time you get to the toilet vent, you will have to consider whether you want to do this or not. Since it's a vent, you can functionally get away with what I'd call "minimal slope" but that would not be compliant with code and comes with its own set of risks.

A lot of times joists like this mean lowering the ceiling. Depending where the walls are, maybe you can have just a soffit only where the pipe is if necessary.
BlackTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 708

Subject to the comment above which says you should contact the manufacturer (which I agree with), typically, most of the I-joist manufacturers only allows for holes cut in the middle of the height of the OSB web, not near the bottom chord, where the vent pipe is currently sitting.
This means you might need to trace the vent back and raise the whole thing up to ensure your holes are mid-web.
The last set of I-joists I installed, no holes over 1 inch in the outer thirds of the joist span, in the mid-web location or not.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,952

http://www.ahjengineers.com/wp-conte...t-products.pdf

Link for what your looking for.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 44

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to drop the ceiling. I put 2x4s as per the picture. They are spaced 24" on Center and run 80". Will that be enough support for drywall or do I need additional support?
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom PVC venting in I-beam joists?-img_9112_1483206993579.jpg   Bathroom PVC venting in I-beam joists?-img_9111_1483207012008.jpg  
mattylance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Plumber

Rewards Points: 290

I just now saw that you are in Minnesota which appears to a UPC based code. So, the dry vents in your joist space may be flat and do not require grade. This will help get around the duct. Simply drill holes right above the bottom cord, through the web.
Again, verify with the truss manufacturer. They are not all the same....
Old 01-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 288

I'm no carpenter but that's probably fine for your drywall needs. Maybe check in one of the other forums to be sure but I'd think it would be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I just now saw that you are in Minnesota which appears to a UPC based code. So, the dry vents in your joist space may be flat and do not require grade. This will help get around the duct. Simply drill holes right above the bottom cord, through the web.
Again, verify with the truss manufacturer. They are not all the same....
That's a very recent change. We used to do work in North Dakota and loved several of the UPC allowances we couldn't use at home in Minnesota.

Funny thing is we've had to convince our local wholesaler to stock certain items, like 1/2" outside faucets with the uponor adapter built in, and 2" 60's for venting into 3x2 wyes. They can't understand why we want them because no one else uses them.

I think we're also some of the only people around here who are willing to drain a lav into a toilet vent, because that used to be illegal too.
BlackTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement