Bathroom Gutted (ready For A Giggle?) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 616

Bathroom gutted (ready for a giggle?)

I am not sure even where to start...except with a martini or three.

History - house flooded with 4 feet of water. Just now getting to the bathroom rebuild and if you read on you will see why

I have permits and the county allows leeway for not having to bring everything up to current code (with the exception of safety issues ie GFCI)
I cannot however, leave this like it is.

I have posted multiple pics each titled (hopefully to help)

This bathroom has a 'sister' bathroom on the other side of the main wall.

Each bathroom has a tub and a toilet and a vanity. This bathroom is gutted. The sister bathroom will be converted to shower only at a later date.

Here is what I know

There is one cast iron vent stack. It comes up from the slab with pvc and then there is a firncoat (sp) fitting to the cast iron vent. The only thing that I can see that is tied into it is the sister bathroom vanity, unless the tubs are tied into it undeground.

Bath Back wall. This wall is what is left of 2 x 6 framing. Here you can kind of see the vent stack and then the lovely spaghetti copper piping. Intent here is to change to pex from the incoming and run the new lines to the vanity and the shower etc. We will be sistering in new 2 x 6 studs when we do this. I cannot see where the showers vent. The vanity on the other side of the wall is actually tied into this vent.

Shower Stack. Not much I can say here except a few naughty words. The shower stack will be replaced when we run new lines and the electricity will be corrected. The pipes here are held together with nails bent around them.

Lower shower stack. Yeah all gotta be ripped out.

Vanity wall pic - here you see there are 2 lines in copper that are bent over and we think these are capped. We cannot see where this vents. Our plan is to re plumb the incoming water and install a studevent (county approved). This wall is 2 x 4. We will also repair the missing bottom plate.

So the plan is....

1. Sister new 2 x 6 studs and get some stability (thankfully this is a single floor)

2. Remove the spaghetti copper and replace the lines to this bathroom with pex. Start from scratch with the shower and tub stack and lines to vanity area.

3. Install vanity studevent

4. How the heck do I vent the shower?? Is it possible that the showers vented into the stack underground? I have no idea why the vent comes up from the slab unless they venting the toilets?

5. The tub is fiberglass ( the sister bathtub is cast iron) Its mobile, I can kick it out of place with not much effort so will be securing this. There is concrete under the tub except around the drain so if I need to access that area I can.

6. Will be installing cement board and tiling the tub shower enclosure and tiling the floor.

Okay, if you have finished laughing I could use some martinis.....er I mean help. Am I missing anything major? Any thoughts on venting the showers?

Thanks

Robyn
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom gutted (ready for a giggle?)-bath-back-wall.jpg   Bathroom gutted (ready for a giggle?)-shower-stack.jpg   Bathroom gutted (ready for a giggle?)-lower-shower-stack.jpg   Bathroom gutted (ready for a giggle?)-vanity-wall.jpg  
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 8,671

Re: Bathroom gutted (ready for a giggle?)

You pretty much know what you need to do and it does not involve olives.

Relax. Tubs and showers are often vented under the floor or slab and would not be visible with this degree of tear out.
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Colbyt For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (07-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
Renovating My Land Yacht

Thanks Colby.

Is there any way to verify that something is vented under the slab?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
Relax. Tubs and showers are often vented under the floor or slab and would not be visible with this degree of tear out.
Maybe in Kentucky, but not anywhere with real plumbing codes and good plumbing practices. Make sure the vents go up inside the walls. The visible sink waste stub out is S-type and can lead to plumbing gases leaking in to your home.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #5
Renovating My Land Yacht

Is this acceptable for the vanity drain (not knowing at this point its vented underground right now or not)?
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2016, 07:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 8,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR Plumber View Post
Maybe in Kentucky, but not anywhere with real plumbing codes and good plumbing practices. Make sure the vents go up inside the walls. The visible sink waste stub out is S-type and can lead to plumbing gases leaking in to your home.

Poor wording on my part. The vertical vent portion must be within X feet of the drain. I think it is 3 feet. The vent may not be in a currently open wall.
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
Plumber

Rewards Points: 254

Google horizontal wet vent. You will see several examples- some will meet your code, some won't and some of the images are flat out wrong. But I think you will start to understand after studying them for a bit.

As for your the AAV- that is something your inspector has to make the call on. It would not work in my state
Old 07-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #8
Renovating My Land Yacht

I confirmed that the under sink vent is okay with the county. That solves the possible venting with the vanity. I am still looking to figure out how to find out if something is vented underground or not. The only thing we know for sure is vented to the stack is the sister bathroom vanity. Any suggestions?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #9
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 590

Venting under slab? I think what is is talking about is a trap arm (the distance a pipe is ran from the main drain to a trap or p-trap) 1 1/2 pipe = 4' trap arm-uniform 1 1/2 =5' International) Depending on if it is International or uniform code the distance is different based on each code) AAV's are not allowed by Uniform and accepted by International. However as with the walls as open as you are get a vent to the outside and be done with it. If you had a vertical stack then the trap arm distance is needed but with a horizontal main drain then the lavatory needs to be VTR (Vented through roof). Forget the wet venting because it doesn't apply to what you have here.

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
Renovating My Land Yacht

Okay so what I think I am hearing is I have no venting then??? Right now there is a big ole iron pipe that comes up from under the slab. This is the main vent. This goes up to the ceiling then dog legs across the trusses and the comes up out of the roof. The only thing we can see connected to it is the sister bath vanity. Why would this come up from under the slab if the only thing attached to it is the vanity? I don't even know if there are P traps or drums under the tubs. The house was moved in 91 and put on a new slab at that time.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #11
Plumber

Rewards Points: 254

Can you do an isometric drawing of the drain and vent pipes you can see?

It's possible that you have a side inlet tee at the base of the toilet vent- one branch serves the toilet and the side branch serves the other fixtures.

Do you also have a pipe serving the other lav? And does it's vent tie back to the 4" vent above the floor?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #12
Renovating My Land Yacht

K so we pulled the commode and I disconnected the tub in the current bath. Ask me how much fun it is to cut toilet bolts with a itty bitty hacksaw.

I am attaching 3 pics. The first shows the vent coming up from the slab. The other two show the hot and the cold runs. I guess copper was on sale back then because the lines double back on themselves to reach the current shower and the sister vanity on the other side. I don't see a p trap under the tub but have not dug around yet but there is no smell from the drains.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom gutted (ready for a giggle?)-final-back-wall.jpg   Bathroom gutted (ready for a giggle?)-cold.jpg   Bathroom gutted (ready for a giggle?)-hot.jpg  
Old 08-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #13
Renovating My Land Yacht

As you are facing the picture all drains head to the right.

E'Plumber the only connection to the large cast iron pipe is the one that goes to the sister bathroom vanity. There are no other connections that I can see.

The tub connections to the drains and to the over flows are the cheap screw on ones like you see at HD so I don't know if this was the original plumbing when the house was moved or if it was added afterwards.

Putting together a proposed plan for plumbing now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement