Bath Sink Leak - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By joecaption
  • 1 Post By joecaption

Old 07-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Bath sink leak

I installed a new bath sink faucet and I'm in a jam. The faucet is in but the pop up drainer is killing me. The pipe doesn't set straight but at a bit of of an angle. So, now I can't seal it properly and I don't know to fix it. I took a picture minus the gasket so anyone can see how much of a gap the gasket leaves. I didn't have any leaks before with the old pipe or drainer but my faucet was rusted and I wanted something nice and new. The sink is a sea shell style if that matters. And, I've clean the hole in the sink that the drainer goes in so it's not cruddy or anything. Nothing broke off or inside it either. Does anyone please have some advice for me?

Bath sink leak-crookedpipe.jpg
catmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,964

Re: Bath sink leak

What are you using to seat the drain in on the inside of the sink?
Most often I used plumbers putty rolled between my hand to form a "hot dog" about 1/2 round, as you thighten the nut make sure the drain tube is straight, once set and tight wipe off the excess inside the sink.
Dave Sal likes this.
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #3

This is my third pop up after getting rid of the plastic piping and just getting metal. This pop up comes with a washer to use instead of puddy. I've tried fiddling with it to see how far up I have to push the stopper to get the pipe straight but it has to go to far up. I couldn't get a good seal at all I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,964

Only gasket I use is under the sink, rubber washer then paper slip ring.
The paper ring is there so as you tighten the nut the rubber gasket does not move.
SHR Plumber likes this.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:09 AM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,490

And I don't see that rubber gasket, only the slip ring. The rubber gasket goes below the sink, not inside it.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #6

I left the rubber gasket out of the picture to get a better view of the gap. Because the metal ring won't flush I can't get the rubber one that will sit on top of it to seal. I'm considering sanding around the inside rim of the hole the pipe goes in. Compared to the one that was in before it's a little wider and maybe I don't have as much wiggle room to keep the pipe straight. Thanks for your replies.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #7
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,490

You can't sand porcelain and expect good results. It is fired and has a finish that won't take any sanding. Do you have a picture of the inside of the sink without the drain in place? If it is a new sink, and you suspect a flaw, take it back and get a new one.

I installed an American Standard Champion 4 toilet for a client and after a week she said there was a small drip leak on the left side. I investigated and there was absolutely no leak in the tank to bowl connections. It turned out to be a flaw in the firing under the rim. No problem exchanging it.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your replies. I finally fixed it. I did sand the bottom to even it a little and added a flat washer under the washer with the lip. I piped doped the threads before I put them on.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 18

Just to be clear for future reference, the plumbers putty that was referred to would go INSIDE the sink under the flange of the pop-up. Then the rubber washer, paper washer, and the nut would go on from under the sink. As you tighten the nut, the plumbers putty will squeeze out and seal any irregularities in the sink's drain hole.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #10

Yes, that's the order I went in. The sink came with a rubber washer to use inside of puddy under the stopper but I used puddy instead and used that washer as the extra push I needed underneath.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 6,334

If we checked for the nut to flange parallel before installation attempt we would probably readily see we have purchased another piece of chinese junk.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #12

After this experience i have lost a lot of faith in box stores. The piece came with plastic junk and the replacement part although loner was just longer junk. I had to order a metal drain pipe online because they don't even carry them in store.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:31 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmeds View Post
After this experience i have lost a lot of faith in box stores. The piece came with plastic junk and the replacement part although loner was just longer junk. I had to order a metal drain pipe online because they don't even carry them in store.
If you are referring to the trap when you say "drain pipe", my suggestion would be to go with the tubular pvc rather than metal. The metal will eventually rot through whereas the pvc will not. Plus, the pvc is far cheaper than the metal.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement