Basement Well Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Basement well drain

My basement has a wide well exit with concrete steps leading out to the backyard. I've noticed that there is always visible water in the drain at the bottom of the steps (see pic) and that concerns me.

I am relatively certain that the drain pipe run into the sump pit yet I see very little evidence of any water coming out of the pipe into the pit. My concern is that the pipe is either broken or completely clogged at this point and might eventually cause the water to collect and flood my basement. Since buying the home I've had a couple heavy rains and luckily the drain hasn't overflowed yet (finger crossed).

What would be the steps you'd take to figure out what is going on and try to fix the problem? I'm thinking of buying a flexible camera to stick down the drain to see what is going and then try to use an auger to unclog any crap that might be in the pipe. Anything else?
Attached Thumbnails
Basement well drain-img_2166.jpg  
diy4pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,952

Re: Basement well drain

Run a hose down it and see if it is blocked at the same time see if it does go into your sump pit.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
diy4pride (07-15-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,100

You say you've had a couple of heavy rains and the drain hasn't overflowed but assuming the stairwell is exposed to the rain, it tells me that the drain is accepting water. It could go into a perimeter weeping drain that discharges someplace else. It could go into a 'french drain' style pile-o-gravel under the drain.

You don't say your location, but if you are in an area subject to freezing, standing water visible in the drain is not good. It could be standing in a trap(odd), residual lying in a drain line or something else. I like the 'hose and see where it goes' approach. If there is a debris blockage the hose may clear it.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #4

Thank you for the suggestions. Didn't even consider the hose idea but I like it! I'll give it a shot this weekend and report back with results.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #5

Used the hose to spray water into the drain. I let the hose run for about 5 seconds and then turned it off. I went over to the sump pit and after about a minute, a slow trickle of water began to flow into the pit.

The good news is that the drain never overflowed with water while I was testing it. The strange part is that only a very small flow of water went into the pit. I would think that with the hose on full blast there would be a steady stream of water, right?
Old 07-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,100

The drain maybe tied into your perimeter weeping drain and the line back to your sump is restricted by debris from the drain, resulting in the slow trickle. Because the sump line is blocked, the hose is filling the perimeter drain. Maybe.

Try shoving the hose up the line discharging into the sump pit.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement