Basement Washer Relocate Or Other Solutions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

Basement washer relocate or other solutions

Hi,

I just purchased this house and have no clue what's going on here, but trying to understand everything. When I tried turning on water to the house, not only did they have to replace a broken water meter, but the ceiling was leaking because of a failed supply line upstairs, which I replaced and soldered on new 1/4 turn valves. Also a copper pipe was cut from a basement utility sink, seems like it may have burst off during winter. The winterization company may have been too late on this one

I thought I would take the opportunity to do it right.

In the pictures you can see that the inspection company or whoever may have sprayed a bunch of red around where some problem areas are. Basically, both the sink and the washer were separately draining on top of the floor drain, which I believe is connected to a b-dry system of some sort. You can see a big circle around the floor drain indicating slow drainage and pooling up of water. Inside the floor drain is a bunch of trash and dirt, indicating it is plugged up. I don't think I want to keep this system, so I took the utility sink off the wall (a few screws), and the entire drain pipe came along with it as well as the valves and some copper, which I unhooked. The other drain pipe for the washer is just free standing 1 1/2" pvc with some elbows... I think they did this because they don't want to break into the concrete, and laying PVC across the floor is a trip hazard.

I was wondering if there is any other better solution. I'd like to put the washer and utility sink into the opposite corner of the basement next to the 4" PVC that runs along the other side of the wall. I placed the sink temporarily where I want it. Being a plumbing noob and not knowing the house exactly, I'm not even sure if this big PVC is for venting or for waste, and why there are two big stacks (one cast iron painted gray, and one pvc).

I would have no clue how to tie the sink into it, but I called HD and they said they do sell the parts to reduce it. Is my thought process OK or am I even stupid to try this. I'm afraid if I do this, any big pressure from the big line might spill into the drain, which would be sick. It may be okay since the 4" PVC pipe is sloped downwards slightly. Am I right to think that I would also need to install a P-trap and air vent for the sink as well? Or do I need to do an upside down P-trap as well for safety? Will this even work, or will gravity not allow the pipe to drain properly?

If these things are ok by you guys, I will also have to solder some 1/2" copper pipes 16 feet across the back wall to get access to hot/cold water as well. I'll probably reuse the valves and pipes going down the wall. As for the washer, I will just hook up one of those drain line to the corner of the sink when I am done. I'm debating moving the dryer closer as well for convenience, but that would involve extending the 220V electrical. I'm familiar with how to do that as well as venting it.

Sorry for the jabbering, and thanks if you have read all the way through. The pictures probably say a lot more than I can. Thanks in advance for your responses and any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement washer relocate or other solutions-0.jpg   Basement washer relocate or other solutions-1.jpg   Basement washer relocate or other solutions-2.jpg   Basement washer relocate or other solutions-3.jpg   Basement washer relocate or other solutions-4.jpg  

Basement washer relocate or other solutions-5.jpg  
mikemark8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 158

Re: Basement washer relocate or other solutions

Additional pics
Attached Thumbnails
Basement washer relocate or other solutions-6.jpg   Basement washer relocate or other solutions-8.jpg   Basement washer relocate or other solutions-10.jpg   Basement washer relocate or other solutions-9.jpg  
mikemark8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,296

Re: Basement washer relocate or other solutions

I think you should get a plumber to repair everything for you. You can watch and learn, but this is not something you can do with internet help. The 4" pvc comes out of the exterior foundation and into the drain. Is it for exterior sump pump? That may not be legal anymore, to start.
Remove the table under the electric main panel and put the dryer and washer together. Use sheetmetal duct for the dryer - you will regret the flex duct when having to clean it.
AC condensation drain needs a trap, then into a power pump to drain to a sink.
Main sewage exit needs a clean out - pvc may be using it.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
mikemark8808 (05-06-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement