Basement Upflush Shower Height Required Question - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

Basement upflush shower height required question

How much higher will my shower floor need to be from my entry point into my upflush Reservoir ?

I have an everbilt upflush toilet Reservoir that my drain pipe for my shower can be plugged into but it needs to be plugged in six and a half inches up from the bottom of the reservoir.

I have 90 inches from floor to ceiling to work with.

I'm trying to figure out how much higher I am going to need to make my shower floor above the six and a half inch entry point of my everbilt toilet Reservoir.

I plan to put the shower right next to the toilet to minimize the Run.

Considering maybe not using the everbilt toilet Reservoir that I have and buying a saniflo toilet system because that shower drain pipe enters the saniflo system only an inch and a half from the ground and the saniflo rep said that some customers install the shower drain without P trap when clearance is an issue. I know it will fail code without a P-trap but I am not real worried about code in my basement.

The thinking is that since the saniflo has a flap valve that opens and closes when the shower is in use and not in use that Vapors should not be much of a problem and it would be nice to have the tallest shower I can possibly have in the basement with the smallest Step Up.

I'm trying to determine if I should buy the saniflo or just use the everbilt that I have. Here is a picture of the everbilt.

Another thought is to excavate out four or five inches of my basement and put the everbilt down into that and backfill the perimeter with concrete. I have a radon mitigation system in my basement but I don't know if radon will be still sealed out if I go that route. I'm also worried about water intrusion when we have wet springs or fall. The everbilt does not have any flap valves so I will definitely be using a P trap with that one.

Thoughts on shower floor elevation required and or going with the saniflo without a p trap?
Drewbabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #2

Pic included
Attached Thumbnails
Basement upflush shower height required question-screenshot_20170616-115843_1497629800201.jpg  
Drewbabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 32,020

Re: Basement upflush shower height required question

1/4 slope per foot of run should do you fine. So 3 feet away 3/4 inch higher at the shower.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,952

How high is the external fixture tie in on your unit? That is where you start you also must vent the shower and the unit itself to outside air.

I would go with this
https://www.amazon.com/Saniflo-SaniP.../dp/B009R95NIE

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 06-16-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,886

Besides your required fall to the unit and the unit inlet height, most jurisdictions reuire a 2" shower drain (no tub).

Sorry, I don't have a 2" p trap to measure, but I suspect that trap will take up 6-7 inches depth , depending on the shower floor drain style. (Now that is not necessarily additive to how high your shower base has to be.... it is probably a minimum.... as the trap arm obviously is maybe only several inches below your shower base.)

You might check whether you can use 1.5 as a drain in your area.... and you may want to pick up the 1.5 and 2" P traps and actually measure them to determine the depth you'll have to raise your shower floor.

Good luck

EDIT: I don't have any experience with those units.... but I would hate to not put in a P trap, build a whole shower, and then find out I really needed it. (Gguess, I'd want some pretty good advice and experience to count on that saniflow flapper.)

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 06-16-2017 at 05:24 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement