Basement Floor Drain Issue - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Basement floor drain issue

I'm trying to figure out if the floor drain in my basement is connected to the storm or sanitary sewer. I was under the impression it was connected to the sanitary sewer but this situation has me questioning it.

Over the last few days my area has been hit with a lot of rain. Today was the heaviest we have had with a lot off streets being closed due to flooding, which has never happened before.

This morning I found water around the drain. This drain has a test plug but I found it was not tightened down all the way and was about to be pushed out. If I removed the plug clear rain water would flow out. I tried to tighten the plug but the nut is seized so for now I put a cinder block on it until it can be replaced without water flowing out. Water is still seeping out slightly due to not being tightened down

The drain pipes going to the sump pit have water constantly flowing from them and the sump pump is keeping up easily as well as the storm sewers in my street are not overflowing.

I'm worried if it's connected to my sanitary that it is clogged as water is still coming out of the floor drain. However none of the drains in the house are backing up. I also pulled the plug on the clean out in the yard and the only water I saw was at the very bottom of the pipe but no standing water in the actual clean out pipe.

Is it possible it's really connected to the storm sewer and it's backing up due to the plug being weak and the drain pipes, to the sump pit, being overloaded? Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get as many details in as possible. Thanks for any help.
Daves92gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,510

Your local municipality should be able to answer that question for you. Make a note to give them a call first thing Monday morning and find out for sure. Just a suggestion.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,952

Find out if your city has combined storm and drain. What this means in english is they send all the rain water with the poop water down the same pipe. If that is the case you need to snake out your house drain to remove roots and then camera to find out where they are getting in. Then you should replace that area.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 20

I already know my city has separate sewers for each. My sump pump pumps directly into a storm drain that runs between my house and the one next door. The main sanitary sewer line for my house was replaced about 4 years ago from my foundation all the way to the sewer, due to a collapse in the pipe.

All the drains in my house have been operating fine during all of this. I did find that once the water draining into the sump pit slowed down that the water was no longer trying to come up the drain.

This issue has never come up before, but we also saw an extreme amount of rain, about 5 inches within 2-3 hours. I talked to my neighbors and they were all having a similar issue with their basement drains.

I may still have a plumber come out, but it will be a while as they are extremely busy due to this. Many others were worse off than I was. I only had water in part of my basement, with the deepest at 1"right by the drain.
Daves92gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,952

That is an extreme amount of rain. You may want to install a back water valve on that floor drain just in case it happens again. Sounds like your sump was overwhelmed.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 582

in alot of areas when there is a heavy rain...the storm sewers overflow into the sanitary sewers which can cause your problem as you describe it as the amount of water slows everything returns back to normal....as mentioned safeguard is to install backwater valve...but it must be installed to local plumbing code..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement