Basement Flooding Issues - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Basement flooding issues

I have been having flooding issues in basement for the last few years during very heavy rain fall events.

The first two pictures are the side yard flooded with water. There is a drain behind the pool that was installed years ago that is plastic corrugated pipe that connects to a old farmers drain tile, and I just recently just found out this pipe is collapsed. There never was standing water in this area before.

Picture two is a floor drain outside of the basement door, water backs up this drain and floods the stair well, with water coming in under the door. This is an issue, but with the stairwell pumped out I still had water coming up like a gyser from a seam in the concrete between the home foundation and the stairwell. This stairwell was added on after the house was built. The bottom of the stairwell is flush with the slab floor. I am assuming this floor drain is connected to some type of perimeter drain as it tees off less that a foot from the drain.

Picture four is of our sump pit in the basement which does fill with water and pumps out, but there are no pipes from any drainage leading into the pit. The water just comes up from the gravel at the bottom. The pit looks like it was formed when the slab was poured. I am also assuming it is just pumping out water from under the slab.

I'm assuming that with the flooding in the side yard it is raising the water table enough to where the water fill find a way into the basement, which happens to be where the basement door is.

Also, as the water in the yard recedes, the water in the drain in the stair well seems to sit at the same level. I could see it just sitting slightly below the grate today.

My questions/solutions

1. Fix drain in side yard
2. Should there be a perimeter drain pipe running into this pit? Assuming I have one?
3. Maybe dig the gravel in the pit lower to lower the pump.
4. Have the outside drain in the stairwell inspected and see where it goes to.

Last edited by bergz22; 02-20-2018 at 08:31 PM.
bergz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #2

Re: Basement flooding issues

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,422

If you fix the yard drain where does it go, do you have enough yard to absorb the water somewhere else. Are you in an area that has storm and sewer pipes at the street.
The drain below the stairs should be a perimeter drain that should go somewhere and likely did at one time. You might run a camera down there to see if it comes off one of those corners. The perimeter drain is intended to keep your basement dry. If you can not find a place to put water adding a sump and pump to the outside perimeter and maybe keep the basement dry. but it would be better if you can find a place to send the water.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #4

Fix the outside drainage problem first. You might find some of the other problems go away.

You could have a perimeter drain tile dropping into that sump pit. It would depend on if there was a place to drain the water naturally for the drain tile

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
macnetism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #5

The yard drain is tied into and old farmers drain tile towards the back of the yard and into the easement. Where the farmers pipe goes I have no idea. I do know that the drain in the yard used to suck water down fast.

The grate in the yard occasionally got clogged with leaves and grass, as soon as I cleared it off it would make a small tornado in the water it sucked so fast.

Last fall I found some sinkholes on the easement and down them was the broken corrugated pipe.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergz22 View Post
The yard drain is tied into and old farmers drain tile towards the back of the yard and into the easement. Where the farmers pipe goes I have no idea. I do know that the drain in the yard used to suck water down fast.

The grate in the yard occasionally got clogged with leaves and grass, as soon as I cleared it off it would make a small tornado in the water it sucked so fast.

Last fall I found some sinkholes on the easement and down them was the broken corrugated pipe.
I would start looking into that, maybe replace it. But with solid pipe. Nobody has used clay tile for 30 years.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,248

Ayuh,..... The bulk of the water in the yard can be drained off, naturally, by just removin' the dam that was put in, probably when the pool went in,....
A Swale, right where the water is Tryin' to go, at the end of the fence,...
Probably need the center of the swale to be a foot lower than it is now,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement