Basement Bathroom Rough In - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

Basement Bathroom Rough In

Hi all,

I'd like to do the rough in plumbing for a basement bathroom in NJ. My home when new came with rough in plumbing with a 3" and 2" pipe stubbed out, the problem is they are spaced about a foot apart.

The space is L shaped, I plan:
Toilet to the left of the door
Basement drain in the next room behind the toilet
Sink to the right of the door
Shower in front of the door

Picture of the shower and sink area. Sink would be on the right and shower directly in front

Toilet area pictured below as well as the storage room behind where I would like to place a drain in order to drain my water softener overflow (instead of a bucket). I currently drain and softener and whole house filter into a standpipe

As part of my basement build, I included in my permit the hookup for a bar sink and ejector pump. Both the ejector pump and the bar sink are tied to the same vent which the builder included in the construction as per NJ plumbing code.

As you can see, the vent pipe I hooked up comes directly into the bathroom and then in the second photo you can see how it it directs into the ejector pit

I spoke to the plumbing inspector during my rough in and final about my bathroom plans and he was in agreement with my plan in regards to the layout and how I plan on venting the items. This was about 1 year ago for the final and 2 years ago for the rough in. (I work slow )

So now I want to move onto the bathroom rough in stage, below is the plumbing layout (dotted lines would be the new piping)

I apologize if it is a little difficult to read, but my plans are as follows

Toilet drain sweeping forward with a 3x3x2 wye kicking back to hookup the vent similar to this picture.

I'd like to add a floor drain in the other room utilizing the vent for the toilet off the wye.
2" Floor drain --> T for vent --> wye into 3" toilet drain, is this ok?
I know the wye has be to at a 45* angle if it were just a vent, but can I and what do I do if it is doubling as a drain? Of it is a problem, I can just add another 3x3x2 wye more downstream.

The flow from the toilet would continue into a 3" long sweep, straighten out for about 24" and into a into either a 3x3x3 or 4x4x3" long radius tee like this

Is this U shaped path to the ejector pit for the toilet a good idea?

For the sink, I'd like to tie the drain into the already existing drain I have looping around in the previous pictures. Is it ok to tie another sink into that 2" drain? The vent would tie into the vent in the picture above the door where it is stubbed out with the insulation around it.

Lastly the shower, the drain seems simple as it is a straight shot to the ejector pit with maybe a 22* in there to line it up. Venting I'm more curious because I didn't talk to the inspector about it. Will the short path to the ejector pit work as a vent? In my drawing, I have a dedicated vent coming out of the ground just before the pit and eventually connected to the same vent pipe.

Sorry for the long post, I tried to be as detailed as possible

Thank You,
Larry
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,006

Wow. Your plumbing inspector approved that drawing? Has he even done any plumbing for a living?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Wow. Your plumbing inspector approved that drawing? Has he even done any plumbing for a living?
Lol, no I haven't submitted paperwork yet. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before I submit. Last thing I want to do is submit paperwork and have to redo the "official" drawings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #4

What state do you reside in larry? That way we can at least start with the plumbing code that applies.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
What state do you reside in larry? That way we can at least start with the plumbing code that applies.
New Jersey, I should have made that more clear
Old 12-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #6

Need a new Jersey plumber sorry. Your state follows 2 different codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement