Basement Bathroom Addition - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2015, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Hello. Working with a friend up in Ontario, Canada to add a basement bathroom .... He had roughed in the drains and I came to inspect the work. The tub and the sink both have ability to individually vent straight up but the toilet does not have a vent. The main stack is about 8-10' away but only distance wise --- if you follow the linear drain its much more than that. We want to vent the toilet seperately and our idea was to change out the 4" elbow to the toilet flange to a 4" Tee. We will come off the back of the tee with a 2" dedicated vent pipe until it ties in further up the stack.... Will this be sufficient? Issue 2: Can we externally vent this bathroom (pipe outside the house) or does It have to run on the interior? We can tie into the existing cast iron stack but running a separate exterior vent would be quick and easy and minimize damage to the house. Basement Bathroom Addition-image-139905470.jpg Broad view of bathroom rough in

Basement Bathroom Addition-image-2589803632.jpg
Shows relation distance to furnace... The main stack is behind this furnace.

Basement Bathroom Addition-image-2643173193.jpg
Elbow that was there. Tee we want to put on

Last edited by RomanDesign; 12-31-2015 at 03:22 PM.
RomanDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 186

The code I work with does not allow that method of venting a toilet.
I also notice a san-tee on its side picking up what I assume is your tub. That is not allowed either- no san tees on their side when used for drainage. It needs to be a wye instead.
I also don't recommend running a vent up the exterior of the house.
ben's plumbing (12-31-2015), RomanDesign (12-31-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber
The code I work with does not allow that method of venting a toilet. I also notice a san-tee on its side picking up what I assume is your tub. That is not allowed either- no san tees on their side when used for drainage. It needs to be a wye instead. I also don't recommend running a vent up the exterior of the house.
How would you recommend venting the toilet. We would have come off the side of the pipe if we had more depth to work w because I know it has to be at a 45degree angle to the plane of the pipe and our floor height would not allow this
RomanDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 07:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 582

I would suggest to call the local authorities in your area to get the details on your plumbing code and inspector...Iam with e ..you should not vent a commode like that...meaning a 4" tee on its back...and your 4x2 or 1 1/2 tee on its side again no no 4x11/2 wye would be code approved in the usa not sure about you area....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement