DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

basement bathroom

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JDC 
#1 ·
i'm putting a bathroom in my basement. there is an ejector pit with a Wayne macerator pump in it but no rough in for the toilet. The back of the toilet is going to be positioned 8" from the pit. What would be wrong with getting a rear exit toilet and running the soil line above the floor and into the top of the pit cover. I have read thru previous strings on this subject. They generally get negative response but are for longer runs. I can't see breaking up the concrete for such a short run. if there are pitfalls with this approach, perhaps I could avoid those in another way than breaking up the concrete. as you can tell this is my first basement job but I've done a number of smaller projects. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 ·
i'm putting a bathroom in my basement. there is an ejector pit with a Wayne macerator pump in it but no rough in for the toilet. The back of the toilet is going to be positioned 8" from the pit. What would be wrong with getting a rear exit toilet and running the soil line above the floor and into the top of the pit cover. I have read thru previous strings on this subject. They generally get negative response but are for longer runs. I can't see breaking up the concrete for such a short run. if there are pitfalls with this approach, perhaps I could avoid those in another way than breaking up the concrete. as you can tell this is my first basement job but I've done a number of smaller projects. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Are there rough ins for tub/shower?

#3 ·
no there are no otehr rough ins. that is what is so frustrating. appearently the ejector pit was put in solely to remove the drain from the air conditioner. it dose not connect to the drain tiles. there is a seperate sump pit/pump for the drain tiles.

#4 ·
It doesn't make sense to me to put a 600 dollar grinder pump in just to drain condensate line where a 50 dollar sump pump would do the trick. but whatever:huh: the only problem I would have in going into the top witha straight vertical drop would be toilet paper dropping on the float and weighing it down to where it doesn't work properly. If you can direct the waste from falling directly on the pump it should work. However have you considered the cost of a rear exit wall mounted toilet and carrier verses the cost of breaking up a little concrete. Just a thought you might want to consider.

#5 ·
Al, thank you for the comment about the paper and the float. I would not have thought of that. I can make sure of it. I am not sure what was the original plan, it does seem wierd. I have found some rear exit toilets (gerber) at around $400. I still think slightly cheaper when compared to a standard toilet plus the costs of breaking up the concrete. Thanks again for the feedback.

#7 ·
Breaking up the amount of concrete we are talking about here only requires a 4 hour rental from HD, total cost $42 (here in Canada anyways...). Seems to me that you can get a nice $200 toilet, plus $40 for the concrete removal, and have the job done the proper way for cheaper.

#8 ·
thats the way I would go too. a little more work but at least its done right and per code in most states. I just put in a nice mansfield elongated water closet in my house for under a 100 dollars. If the concrete isn't too thick a nice heavy sledge hammer will do the trick too.

#9 ·
Toilet 8" from the pit? Hell.....that would take how long with a sledgehammer.....15-20 minutes?

There's a couple of things I'm not quite "getting".....

1) a macerator pump for a condensate line? that makes no sense at all when condensate pumps are so cheap and do not require a pit

2) going to the trouble of putting in a toilet, but no lavatory? thats against code around here. gotta have a fixture for hand washing in the same room as a toilet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.