Basement Bath Vent Investigation - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Basement Bath Vent Investigation

Hello fellow DIY'ers! I am finishing my basement which was already roughed out for plumbing including a sewage ejector pit. I know the sewage pit needs a dedicated vent of its own and so I have two related questions:

1) There is a 2" pipe coming through the floor joists above directly above the sewage ejector pit. It looks to be intended as the vent pipe for this pit. How can I tell/trace where this vent pipe actually vents? (and if anything else ties into it?)

2) The new bathroom is roughly about 7'-8' from where the sewage pit is located. Do I need vents for each of the fixtures (toilet, sink, shower) AND the sewage pit, or just venting the pit good enough for code?

2A) Assuming the rough in was done right when the house was built, perhaps the roughed in fixtures are already vented? If so, how can I tell?

I'd appreciate any and all ideas and thoughts!
psiplon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,854

Re: Basement Bath Vent Investigation

You must vent the bathroom fixtures to the vent left for the sewage ejector pump. Without a picture I cannot tell how the bathroom was installed. But usually all you need vent is the lavatory sink.

You should also pull the pump out to make real sure it is a grinder pump and not a storm water sump pump. If all it was handling was a floor drain it is a good possibility they went the cheap route on the pump.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 05-16-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 05:49 PM   #3

The sewage pump pit is there, but no pump installed yet... see pictures below... thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Bath Vent Investigation-1463438905563-1535699260_1463438923336.jpg   Basement Bath Vent Investigation-146343894412461362744_1463438958884.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 170

Sewer pumps do not always need to vent out seperately. Use the capped vent for the pump and in the ceiling, run the lav vent to it. This will complete your venting.

The ejector pump line should tie into a vertical 4" building drain using a wye branch connection
Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #5

Vent the lavatory sink you should be good to go. Next question is where is the pump going to discharge to? You need 2 pipes by the sump one for the pump one for the vent. Keep the lav vent 42 inches or higher above the floor and it must be run so it is totally self draining.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 05-16-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #6

Thanks guys!

1) The main discharge line runs along right above the sewage pit (can't really see it in the picture) so should be good there.

2) I keep reading that the sewage ejector pump has to have a dedicated vent line for code? Thoughts on this for Georgia (Forsyth County to be exact)?

Also, if I vent the sink/lav drain line, is it a correct assumption that the toilet and shower are tied to that vent below the concrete?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #7

Question 2- Not under IPC which is what Georgia follows. Unless your using a pneumatic pump that is highly doubtful.Yes your probably using the IPC wet vent system.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:53 AM   #8

Gotcha! Thanks Ghostmaker and ePlumber!! For closure, you guys are right on the money... (not that you needed to be told that) I reached out to the senior plumbing inspector for my county and he validated exactly what y'all already said. All good, that is again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
basement , plumbing , sewage ejector pump , vent