Bad Aerator Threads On Sink Faucet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jmon
  • 1 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 1 Post By DR P
  • 1 Post By Bondo

Old 03-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,214

Bad aerator threads on sink faucet

Hi;
I have a very old bathroom sink faucet. I wanted to replace the aerator. Sounds like a simple job, right?
Well, first off taking the old one out was a PITA. I had to use a vise-grip to unscrew it.

Now I have the new one, but I cannot get it to stop leaking, no matter what I do.
The faucet has female threads, so I am using the male threads on the aerator (which has dual threads - inside and outside)

I see what the problem is: The faucet's threads are bad. I took a photo using my phone's "selfie" camera and confirmed that fact.

I have tried wrapping teflon tape around the threads of the aerator before installing, but cannot get it to stop leaking. It leaks enough that water sprays out, or runs down the spout back towards the base and all over the place.

I Googled and found a thread in another forum where a guy successfully used pipe thread compound. But before I go spending more $$ on stuff like that, perhaps it is time for a new faucet. The only problem with replacing the entire fixture is that I am sure the old one is rusted in place. The faucet itself is plastic, but there are of course metal innards and bolts holding it to the sink.
I dread crawling under there, and cannot afford a plumber. That said, I do think I have a sink wrench...

So, just one last attempt to get this aerator to work without leaking... Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for your help

FW

Ultrarunner2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,418

Re: Bad aerator threads on sink faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner2017 View Post
Hi;

I Googled and found a thread in another forum where a guy successfully used pipe thread compound. But before I go spending more $$ on stuff like that, perhaps it is time for a new faucet. The only problem with replacing the entire fixture is that I am sure the old one is rusted in place. The faucet itself is plastic, but there are of course metal innards and bolts holding it to the sink.
I dread crawling under there, and cannot afford a plumber. That said, I do think I have a sink wrench...

So, just one last attempt to get this aerator to work without leaking... Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for your help

FW
I agree with you, far easier to just replace faucet with another one.

I have very good results using pb blaster, basin wrench and tapping the nut to loosen up the gunk. Just my opinion.
Bondo likes this.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,830

Quote:
Hi;
I have a very old bathroom sink faucet. I wanted to replace the aerator. Sounds like a simple job, right?
Well, first off taking the old one out was a PITA. I had to use a vise-grip to unscrew it.

Now I have the new one, but I cannot get it to stop leaking, no matter what I do.
The faucet has female threads, so I am using the male threads on the aerator (which has dual threads - inside and outside)

I see what the problem is: The faucet's threads are bad. I took a photo using my phone's "selfie" camera and confirmed that fact.

I have tried wrapping teflon tape around the threads of the aerator before installing, but cannot get it to stop leaking. It leaks enough that water sprays out, or runs down the spout back towards the base and all over the place.

Thanks for your help

FW
YEP..... a nice blanket to lay on and BenGay....
Bondo likes this.
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #4

Quote:
I have very good results using pb blaster, basin wrench and tapping the nut to loosen up the gunk. Just my opinion.
Better than Liquid Wrench?

Old 03-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,418

Quote:
I don't have any proof that it's any better than liquid wrench. Imo, either one would do.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Quote:
I think that PB Blaster is better than Liquid Wrench & better than WD40.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

the threads are not the sealing factor for aerator.
the gasket is what makes the primary seal
& is most likely not tall/thick enough; that

or the damaged faucet threads are limiting the
ability of the aerator to tighten up onto seal...
you could try a thicker or 2nd seal in aerator?

Peace
akuhn235 likes this.
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR P View Post
the threads are not the sealing factor for aerator.
the gasket is what makes the primary seal
& is most likely not tall/thick enough; that

or the damaged faucet threads are limiting the
ability of the aerator to tighten up onto seal...
you could try a thicker or 2nd seal in aerator?

Peace
I had that idea, so I tried a cut-down hose washer. It fit into the opening, but was too thick to allow the threads of the aerator to catch.
The faucet spout is plastic, and I know that the threads are damaged. I have given up trying for the time being, but may have another go at it tomorrow or next.

Is there anything besides the aerator I could screw into the faucet to attempt to clean out the threads? I used a 3/4" tubing brush, which did help somewhat.

Last edited by Ultrarunner2017; 03-14-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,212

Quote:
The faucet spout is plastic, and I know that the threads are damaged. I have given up trying for the time being, but may have another go at it tomorrow or next.
Ayuh,...... As a 1 time, Final repair, glue the darn thing in with an epoxy, like JB Weld,.....

Next time, Replace the junk faucet,......
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Quote:
Is there anything besides the aerator I could screw into the faucet to attempt to clean out the threads?
A tap might work (tap & dye set) but it would still be easier & cheaper to replace a faucet or do what Bondo said. I'm in love with JB Weld too.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 775

You can get a galvanized nipple of the same size and run it into the faucet threads to try and cut some new ones.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #12
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,212

except yer never gonna find the right die, 'n if ya do, it'll cost more than a new faucet,....
Guap0_ likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #13
Peace be with you

Quote:
I had that idea, so I tried a cut-down hose washer. It fit into the opening, but was too thick to allow the threads of the aerator to catch.

Is there anything besides the aerator I could screw into the faucet to attempt to clean out the threads? I used a 3/4" tubing brush, which did help somewhat.
buy another multi thread aerator; it should have 2 seals inside
use any combination of these seals with existing seals to create a
thicker seal needed for installation; silicone grease all edges of seals

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
Old 03-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #14

I would try JB Weld, but I won't be able to shut off the supply to the faucet long enough to allow it to dry. Too much use.

I think for now I'm just going to leave it without the aerator. It works well enough.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #15
Peace be with you

Quote:
I would try JB Weld, but I won't be able toshut off the supply to the faucet long enough to allow it to dry. Too much use.

I think for now I'm just going to leave it without the aerator. It works well enough.
take all the guts out of the aerator & hand tighten body into threads...
this will at least corral/guide water down towards sink with a better pattern

Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement