Attempting To Repair Leaky Roman Tub Faucet Without Access Panel, Is It Possible? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 38

Attempting to repair leaky Roman Tub Faucet without access panel, is it possible?

Hello,

The deck mounted faucet has developed a slow but steady leak from the spout I would like to fix. I have some basic plumbing skills, I have learned to sweat copper, replaced a few hose bibs outside, worked without outdoor PVC plumbing for my well water, but never worked on anything in the house.

I don't really even know where to start. The front of the tub has been tiled over so I have no way to access the plumbing. What is causing the leak and how can I fix it? Is it a gasket or seal somewhere? Does the whole valve need to be replaced? I need some guidance on what steps need to be taken. I would be very appreciative for any help.

Is it possible to fix this leak without going through the tile and the side of the tub?

I have a Moen T933BN facuet/handles and a Moen #4992 valve assembly. Here are some photos and breakdowns:

Last edited by Kevin993; 04-02-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Kevin993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 258

Re: Attempting to repair leaky Roman Tub Faucet without access panel, is it possible?

whats leaking and where? you didnt say, out the spout?
woodchopper65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #3

Re: Attempting to repair leaky Roman Tub Faucet without access panel, is it possible?

Yes, the leak is out of the spout. Sorry for not being more specific. I did recently replace the stream straightener and it started after that. Seems like that would be a coincidence and have nothing to do with it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin993 View Post
Yes, the leak is out of the spout. Sorry for not being more specific. I did recently replace the stream straightener and it started after that. Seems like that would be a coincidence and have nothing to do with it though.
whats a stream straightener?? do you mean aerator?
Old 04-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchopper65 View Post
whats a stream straightener?? do you mean aerator?
Yes, that is what Moen calls it for some reason. You can see it in the last diagram part #149117.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,652

For the Moen's, you unscrew those collars that are below the handles, and the handles lift off. Then you pull the Stems and go get new ones, or have Moen send you replacements.

There are very few stems that are Ceramic. Majority of them are plastic. The Moen ones are probably the easiest stems to replace parts on.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes, that is what Moen calls it for some reason. You can see it in the last diagram part #149117.
leave it to moen to come up with wacky names...order 2 new cartridges and take handles apart and reinstall them...just follow the diagrams..
The Following User Says Thank You to woodchopper65 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #8

Also the Aerator would not cause the leak. Just Murphy's law. Pull the Cartridges and inspect the rubber O-Rings and seat for wear and tear.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #9

OK, sounds like a fairly simple procedure. I wonder if these are under warranty and I called moen, maybe they would send me the cartridges? Or can these be purchase at home depot?
Old 04-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
why did you need to replace it? was there any debris caught in it?
Old 04-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #11

Quote:
OK, sounds like a fairly simple procedure. I wonder if these are under warranty and I called moen, maybe they would send me the cartridges? Or can these be purchase at home depot?
you can call them, its always worth a try..
Old 04-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchopper65 View Post
why did you need to replace it? was there any debris caught in it?
Yes, on a well water system and it's at the end of the run and always seems to get clogged up once in a while. Took it out to clean it and it fell apart. The copper ring holding all the screens together corroded and disintegrated. So I got a new one.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes, on a well water system and it's at the end of the run and always seems to get clogged up once in a while. Took it out to clean it and it fell apart. The copper ring holding all the screens together corroded and disintegrated. So I got a new one.
you should put a whole house filter on, the grit and junk from the well is also causing the washers and seals to fail faster in all the faucets and valves in the house....
Old 04-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 5,452

With all the detailed information you have this should be the easiest replacement parts Moen has ever provided to anyone. Excellent record keeping.

While you are waiting for parts consider purchasing a small container of plumber's grease in case Moen doesn't provide that in their shipment. Grease anything that rotates with threads, without threads, slip fit, push fit or any kind of fit including O rings and their counter parts, and all those new parts will appreciate it. And since you are a DIY'er you'll appreciate the lube job the next time you do this in 5 years and hopefully 20 years or more.

Order from Moen if possible.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 04-02-2016 at 04:04 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-03-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #15

Quote:
I go to our local Ace Hardware down the street for these parts. The Cartridges, get them directly from Moen.

"Replacement parts may be obtained by calling 1-800-289-6636 (Canada 1-800-465-6130), or by writing to Moen Incorporated, 25300 Al Moen Drive, North OImsted, OH 44070-8022. Proof of purchase (original sales receipt) from the original consumer purchaser must accompany all warranty claims."

I do not even know where my receipts are from when we did our Bath. I usually just end up ordering on amazon.com for everything, or if plumbing stuff, I can use the account for my plumbing/hvac guy to get those items.

We have an issue with grit coming through our lines, from when the city is working on the system. I have actually found a small pebble that was between the washer for a faucet stem for the wash machine cold water side, when I went around to flush everything when we replaced our water heater.

Having some kind of filter to catch the grit helps big time. If your well pump ever pulls sand, you are going to keep tearing the washers and stems up, until you get a filter on. Just remember to make it a monthly habit to dump the junk, or every week when doing laundry, if it is in the laundry room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement