All Of My Shut-off Valves Leak! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By joecaption
  • 3 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By scyarch

Old 12-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

All of my shut-off valves leak!

Since I have moved into my house, I have found a ton of plumbing issues. In order to address many of them, I have had to shut off water valves, and I think all but one of them have started to leak after I moved them

I have already replaced the sink and toilet shut-offs in the half bath and the washing machine valves, but I have three more of the branch shut-off valves in the basement develop leaks. They are the multi-turn ones that are sweated copper in 1/2" and 3/4". They look like you can use a wrench to remove the stem and perhaps rebuild them, but I cannot find rebuild kits for these. My other option is to shut off the water main and slowly start cutting them out and sweating in ball valves. I am leaning toward this long-term, but in the short term, is there a way to repair the drips? Thanks
1995droptopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,620

Re: All of my shut-off valves leak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995droptopz View Post
Since I have moved into my house, I have found a ton of plumbing issues. In order to address many of them, I have had to shut off water valves, and I think all but one of them have started to leak after I moved them

I have already replaced the sink and toilet shut-offs in the half bath and the washing machine valves, but I have three more of the branch shut-off valves in the basement develop leaks. They are the multi-turn ones that are sweated copper in 1/2" and 3/4". They look like you can use a wrench to remove the stem and perhaps rebuild them, but I cannot find rebuild kits for these. My other option is to shut off the water main and slowly start cutting them out and sweating in ball valves. I am leaning toward this long-term, but in the short term, is there a way to repair the drips? Thanks
I would estimate for rebuilding your best odds would be to visit ACE Hardware or a plumbing supply. Consider snapping a pic of this pic provided to take for show and tell.

If successful consider a tin of plumber's grease or silicone to lube things well when assembling. Most of those valves fail because of being over tightened in the shut off position and or a lack of lubrication.

Those valves are made with a back seat and if leaking past the stem when fully open sometimes a good lube job of the plastic threads and packing components will suffice.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 628

You can post a pic of your valves but it sounds like it is a sweated joint with a threaded valve. If so, you can replace those in about five minuets.
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 256

They are this type, not the ones at the fixture:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...4-EB/205816249

The ones at the fixture are easy enough to replace since most of them are compression nut style. Even the ones that are solder are easy to do since you can just cut the old one off and solder a new one on.

Probably just going to cut and put in ball valves in the basement since I know they won't leak and I wont have to screw with it again. Just keeps derailing me from my other projects.
1995droptopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 19,008

Old globe or gate valves are always going to leak or not shut off at some point.
Best to just replace them with ball valves.
If there just leaking at the stem, try tightening up the packing nut a little.
de-nagorg and Yodaman like this.
Ghostmaker (12-01-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 225

Working on older apartment buildings, I definitely agree with joecaption. Gate valves (multiturn) will always leak at some point. The insides can corrode, or get filled with mineral deposits or any number of things that basically cause inevitable in-operation.

We replace eveything with quarter turn ball valves, typically compression fitting since it's easy and fast. I DO like soldered fittings better but the compression are just so quick and simple, especially if you're in tight areas hard to torch but easy to wrench. I just wish they'd make some ball valves for dual output like sending water to a sink and an ice-maker line (I hate straddle/pinch valves).
scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:14 AM   #7
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,764

Quote:
I just wish they'd make some ball valves for dual output like sending water to a sink and an ice-maker line
Not cheap, but like this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...VX-R/205214470
scyarch, Mike Milam and akuhn235 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
scyarch (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 225

THEY MAKE ONE!!!! AND IT HAS TWO SHUTOFFS?!!! That would have probably been almost the same cost as putting the in-line plastic sharkbite style shut off I threw on our fridge. Course it would have had to have been ordered from wherever, even my plumbing supply house- but still.. Thanks for the link, now I know.
chandler48 likes this.
scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement