Adding A Vent To The Washing Machine So It Doesn't Gurgle? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt30

Old 08-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 488

Adding a vent to the washing machine so it doesn't gurgle?

Purchased the house a month ago and we noticed when we run the washing machine the drains gurgle in the shower/sink because it's not vented. It's not a huge deal just sounds weird so I was thinking of adding a vent but I'm not sure where to add it. The washing machine is downstairs and it appears the drain is pumped up to pvc which is connected to the big drain somewhere else which I couldn't find. Could I just add an air admittance valve inline (horizontal) ignoring the fact of legality for this conversation?

Edit: The image is rotated, the black pipe is running vertical from the washing machine, the pvc pipe is running horizontal into a wall where I'm assuming it's connected to the drain.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a vent to the washing machine so it doesn't gurgle?-img_0308.jpg  
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 777

Re: Adding a vent to the washing machine so it doesn't gurgle?

Is that black pipe running from the washing machine the drain. Is it connecting to the sanitary on another floor.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct18 View Post
Is that black pipe running from the washing machine the drain. Is it connecting to the sanitary on another floor.
The black pipe is connected to the washing machine then up to PVC (pictured) and then into the wall where I'm assuming it's connected to the drain from the shower above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 22

all kinds of wrong with that set up. There should not be an in line check valve. I presume the genius who plumbed it used it in place of a p-trap.

Post some more detailed photos of where the plumbing goes and see what kind of solution we an come up with. That washing mashing is pushing too high for my liking too. Is there not any plumbing lower?
JERRYMAC likes this.
Matt30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #5

So it looks like the pvc was brought over just for the washing machine. I was able to trace it further and found this (wtf is this?) and some large pcv pipes. It appears (can't verify) that this connects directly to the drain pipe into the septic but if that was the case I'm not sure why it would gurgle. Would something inline to allow air help this issue? The other picture is of the entire room, washing machine in the corner, black pipe running up to pvc in the ceiling and across the room to the large pvc pipe. This is below grade, the only other plumbing is on the first floor so there is no where else to drain to.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a vent to the washing machine so it doesn't gurgle?-img_0896.jpg   Adding a vent to the washing machine so it doesn't gurgle?-img_7485.jpg  
Old 08-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 22

Ok, going by the pictures, if you were my customer, here's what'd I'd suggest.

By the looks of the height you have to pump and space to work, there's no room to put a proper p-trap, stand pipe or vent. It looks cobbled together by an amateur. It "works" but it's not proper and doesn't meet any code criteria.

To get a proper set up, I would suggest having a sewage ejector pit installed in the basement. Let the sewage pump lift the water to that drain, then you can have a normal p-trap, stand pipe and vent below grade. The biggest part of the project would be getting vents out. By my code the vent for the sewage tank must reach outside air on its own, while the vent from the washer can tie into the vent header.

It's a little hard to explain the set up if you aren't familiar, maybe someone can post an illustration.

Either way, the set up you currently have isn't worth trying to improve. The only way to improve it, is to get rid of it
Matt30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 884

Instead of I sump pit, I would instal a laundry sink next to the washer and pump the washer into the sink. Use a ejector pump to drain the sink. Saniflo makes an ejector that would work. Lot less than excavating a pit.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,200

It is the speed and the volume of water that is just sucking air as it moves along.
Glowing the water from the washer would add stress to the pump.
The under sink can be slowed down and still work fine.
They do get to water flow later in the video.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement