Adding Standpipe To Double Utility Sink. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
HDS

Rewards Points: 330

Adding standpipe to double utility sink.

I'm replacing our utility sink and wanted to add a standpipe for the washer. Currently the washer drains right into the sink.

As you can see in the pictures, the utility sink connects to the 2" vent stack while the second 2" line is for the kitchen sink and dish washer directly above.

Is it proper to add the stand pipe inline with the utility sink? The stand pipe and full drain (except the lines from the utility sink which would be 1.5") would be 2". Going from left to right, it would be vertical stand pipe, 90 to go horizontal, T for first sink drain, T for second sink drain, trap, then into the vertical drain as it currently stands.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Adding standpipe to double utility sink.-1449076101065.jpg   Adding standpipe to double utility sink.-1449076118747.jpg   Adding standpipe to double utility sink.-1449076161781.jpg   Adding standpipe to double utility sink.-1449076174772.jpg  
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,854

Under IPC code you would need 3 inch pipe for the washer. I do not see any. Hopefully your in a UPC area.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #3
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Under IPC code you would need 3 inch pipe for the washer. I do not see any. Hopefully your in a UPC area.
Here's what I found for Ohio.
Quote:
406.3 Waste connection. The waste from an automatic clothes washer shall discharge through an air break into a standpipe in accordance with Section 802.4 or into a laundry sink. The trap and fixture drain for an automatic clothes washer standpipe shall be a minimum of 2 inches (51 mm) in diameter. The automatic clothes washer fixture drain shall connect to a branch drain or drainage stack a minimum of 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter. Automatic clothes washers that discharge by gravity shall be permitted to drain to a waste receptor or an approved trench drain.

So what happens with these codes if the house was built in 1974? Is it grandfathered in due to its age?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 127

Grandfathering only applies to existing. Once you modify you need to bring up to current code.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimn01 For This Useful Post:
Ghostmaker (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
HDS

After looking at things a bit more, there is a 3" drain line off to the right about 1' from the sink drain and vent pipe shown in my pictures. The 3" drain line is used for a 1/2 bath, sink, plus a utility sink that is in the garage. The vent is in the wall between the 1/2 bath and garage, so if I tied the standpipe into the 3" drain, could I vent it into the 1.5" vent line that the kitchen and basement utility sink was using?

The other issue is the standpipe would be about 6' away from the 3" drain.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding standpipe to double utility sink.-20151202_221102-1-.jpg  
Old 12-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01 View Post
Grandfathering only applies to existing. Once you modify you need to bring up to current code.
Yep that is how it works...
An Ohio plumbing inspector here...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
Tom738 (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS View Post
After looking at things a bit more, there is a 3" drain line off to the right about 1' from the sink drain and vent pipe shown in my pictures. The 3" drain line is used for a 1/2 bath, sink, plus a utility sink that is in the garage. The vent is in the wall between the 1/2 bath and garage, so if I tied the standpipe into the 3" drain, could I vent it into the 1.5" vent line that the kitchen and basement utility sink was using?

The other issue is the standpipe would be about 6' away from the 3" drain.
A permit and inspection is required if your in an area with an inspection authority.

The stand pipe would need to tie into the three inch. with a 3 by 2 inch tee.
The vent would be between the 3 inch tee and the 2 inch trap for your washer stand pipe. A Tee on its back 2 by 2 by 1.5 the vent

You can tie it into an existing vent as long as that is all it is. A vent does not have anything draining into it from the floor above.

The tie in must be 6 inches above the top of your stand pipe or 6 inches above the flood level rim of the highest fixture in the basement. Normally 42 inches works unless you make a super long stand pipe.

You will need to use a transitional coupling from plastic to cast. Proflex brand or Mission brand are 2 approved types of couplings. You cannot use a all rubber coupling that has radiator clamps.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 12-02-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
HDS

Thanks for all the explanations! After looking it over some more, it shouldn't be that hard to tie into the 3" drain. Just unbolt the coupling at the floor and cut the 3" vertical drain pipe. Even reinstall shouldn't be too bad as the 3" vertical drain pipe may move up and down a bit since at the top of the wall it starts a horizontal run.

While there are still some additional details to figure out, one that is bugging me is the vent for the standpipe. There is a 1.5" vent stack and a 1.5" vertical drain next to the 3" vertical drain. The attached sketch shows the layout, the standpipe in black is on the far left, there is a 40" wide double utility sink (in blue) followed by the 1.5" vent and drain then the 3" drain. There is enough room between the foundation wall and the utility sink legs to run the stand pipe. I have come up with three options for connecting the standpipe vent.

1) In orange; goes vertical right after the trap, up to the proper height (42" or at least 6" over the highest fill), then shoot across the wall to the drain. Don't like that option as you'll see the vent line.

2) In green; vent somewhere under the utility, run horizontally under the utility sink as high as possible to the other side, turn up, and then into the vent.

3) In purple, vent right after the utility sink, up and into the vent. (preferred option). This would be about 5' from the standpipe.

The question I have is how far from the standpipe and trap does the vent need to be?

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Adding standpipe to double utility sink.-plumbing-layout-2.jpg  
Old 12-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #9

If your running 2 inch it can be 8 foot from the vent. The vent cannot go horizontal until it is 6 inches above the flood level rim usually 42 inches above the floor. There is no exception to this rule on the vent.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #10
HDS

Thanks Ghostmaker. The drain will be 2 inch, but the vent stack it is going into it is only 1.5". Does that change the distance equation?

On top of that, the old utility sink tied into the 1.5 inch vent stack to drain and vent. You can see that in the pic below. The drain on the left is the kitchen drain and just right of it off the Y is the vent/utility sink drain. Will venting the standpipe and having the utility drain on that vent line ok? Something doesn't seem right with that.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #11
HDS

Forgot pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding standpipe to double utility sink.-1449279167933.jpg  
Old 12-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #12

Yes. As long as your vent is withing 8 foot of the trap and you run 2 inch.

The vent being 1.5 inches is not a problem.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #13

show me where you want the utility sink and the washer standpipe.

Basically you will need to run 3 inch as a drain to the point you only have one fixture left. Both fixtures will need to be vented. Depending on how you plan to place all this will make the difference on how it is piped.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 12-04-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #14

Old 12-04-2015, 10:20 PM   #15
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
show me where you want the utility sink and the washer standpipe.

Basically you will need to run 3 inch as a drain to the point you only have one fixture left. Both fixtures will need to be vented. Depending on how you plan to place all this will make the difference on how it is piped.
From left to right, stand pipe, utility sink, 1.5" drain and vent lines, then 3" drain.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding standpipe to double utility sink.-1449289211466.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement