Adding Sink To Washer And Dryer Area - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By doublerc
  • 1 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 1 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 1 Post By Ghostmaker
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 12-23-2019, 12:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Adding sink to washer and dryer area

I have an existing washer and dryer area that we are remodeling and looking to make it a lot cleaner and presentable. My end goal is to have the washer and dryer surrounded by a built-in countertop, and that same countertop to have a sink in it. I am not a fan of the utility tub style/look, as I know that would probably be the easiest solution.

How would I go about adding in proper drainage/venting for a sink on my current layout? I assume I could just put a T for the water lines just about anywhere?

Existing System:

End Goal of what it should look like:
doublerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,498

Re: Adding sink to washer and dryer area

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublerc View Post

How would I go about adding in proper drainage/venting for a sink...
Pretty much the same as with any other sink.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #3

Lol I wouldn't be posting up this question if I already knew where to add the drain for the sink. So if you have some specifics, that would be helpful.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 710

Hard to tell here exactly from just pictures.

But your sink is going to be to the left I believe....so you will need drainage fall and venting and supply. Supply should be easy. You will also need dryer venting in there , which, I don't see...and have no idea whether you can go up with it or latteral.

I did something something very similar with reconfiguring a laundry room framed basically in 2x4 stock with supply and DWV on an adjacent wall,.

Trying to get that plumbing/venting and dryer venting rearranged in a 2x4 wall can be a nightmare,

I basically build a new "wet" wall" in front of existing wall. To get dryer venting thru if going out lateral, I set that wet wall out a couple of inches and notch the wet wall studs for dryer venting.....or DWV pipeing.

Or, you can use your wet wall studding on the flat to give you plumbing room.

Can't see very well....but not sure your present venting on your WM trap is correct......

And as a suggestion only, you may want to build a slight platform to raise those front loader's up a few inches or so....as they can be somewhat cumbersome bending all the way over to load and unload.
SeniorSitizen likes this.

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 12-23-2019 at 11:23 AM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Additional consideration might be if you want to raise your WM supply box up above the counter or sink.... kinda ruins the aesthetics, but I find it nice to have easy access to the supply valves....???

(Oh.....and just in my experience, your counter will not end up looking neat and clean like a living room display counter. It will become a place to pile clothes and laundry detergent and anything you don't want showing in your kitchen...LOL.... but honestly, you may want to consider full cabinets above... not as nice a picture as you see there...but maybe more practical in a "catch all" laundry room.....just my experience.)
lenaitch likes this.

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 12-23-2019 at 11:34 AM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,620

If you are in a IPC state you will need 3 inch where the washer enters the branch drain.

The vent for both must come off the top above the washer connection. Who ever plumbed that did it entirely wrong. Hope the rest of the house is better.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #7

Thanks for the help everyone, for more clarification: This is a first level space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
But your sink is going to be to the left I believe....so you will need drainage fall and venting and supply.

Yes, the sink would be approximately where the washer box is currently

Quote:
You will also need dryer venting in there , which, I don't see...and have no idea whether you can go up with it or latteral.

Dryer will be vented laterally out of an exterior wall to the right. I wasn't planning on having the vent pipe set in a wall unless I do a bump-out wall that could accomodate for its width.

Quote:
I basically build a new "wet" wall" in front of existing wall. To get dryer venting thru if going out lateral, I set that wet wall out a couple of inches and notch the wet wall studs for dryer venting.....or DWV pipeing.

Yes! I was thinking of doing exactly this since there is a web of plumbing already (some of it is for a bathroom on the other side)

Quote:
Can't see very well....but not sure your present venting on your WM trap is correct......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
If you are in a IPC state you will need 3 inch where the washer enters the branch drain.

The vent for both must come off the top above the washer connection. Who ever plumbed that did it entirely wrong. Hope the rest of the house is better.

In examining my system versus what I have seen/learned about vents, I was thinking it may have been done incorrectly. Before taking off the drywall we had used our washer and dryer (venting into a bucket/the house ) here for about a year with no problems but we are now ready to get a real long-term setup going.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can properly run these drains/vents? I will post up a sketch on what I am thinking later.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 5,788

Could you use the space under the floor behind the wall to the right for the dryer vent.

Old 12-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Could you use the space under the floor behind the wall to the right for the dryer vent.

Neal... That looks great/neat....have you used it...does it work as well as it appears.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
retired framer

Rewards Points: 5,788

Quote:
Neal... That looks great/neat....have you used it...does it work as well as it appears.
I installed one a few years ago, she has not complained about it. It sure seemed like a great idea. Hooking up a stacked set in a broom closet is not fun. I think this will become code after the patent protection come off so there will be brands.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:40 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 932

I like it except for the front loaders. Our top loader does a load in less than a half hour. My daughter in law got tired of waiting over 2 hours for a load in her fancy expensive Bosch front loader so she just got rid of it for a $500 Whirlpool white basic top loader.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,620

We are talking about the venting of your plumbing not the dryer vent.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement