Adding Second Shower Head - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 131

Adding Second Shower Head

I'm remolding our master bathroom and would like to add a second shower head with its own valve. I have 1/2 inch lines feeding the current valve. If I branch off the hot and cold with 1/2 inch to run to the new valve should I expect any flow/pressure issues with two say 2.5 gpm shower heads running at the same time?

Thanks,
Richard
rjschwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,490

Re: Adding Second Shower Head

You only have 1/2" of supply coming in, so splitting it may cause a decrease in volume of water if used simultaneously, since you will be asking a 1/2" supply to furnish 1" of volume. You may could install an A-B-C valve near where the main valve is to give you water from one or the other or both, thus ABC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 126

Re: Adding Second Shower Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschwar View Post
I'm remolding our master bathroom and would like to add a second shower head with its own valve. I have 1/2 inch lines feeding the current valve. If I branch off the hot and cold with 1/2 inch to run to the new valve should I expect any flow/pressure issues with two say 2.5 gpm shower heads running at the same time?

Thanks,
Richard
I'd take your current showerhead off, and get a large bucket. Get the water to a warm temperature you'd consider average showering temp (typically around 105F). Flow water into the bucket for 15 seconds, then measure the amount of water in the bucket. If there is 1 gallon in your bucket after 15 seconds, your system flows roughly 4GPM (amount of water measured in gallons after 15 seconds * 4 = GPM). Best practice while taking this measurement would be to turn on a few other faucets in the house to better replicate the worst case (lowest flow rate) scenario.

Figure out if your system can supply enough water to feed 2 showerheads. Companies make showerheads down to 1.75GPM and lower I believe, so if you are close to the limit I'd suggest getting a lower flow rate showerhead. Again, this is a very rough estimate, but should get you in the ballpark if your current rough in/cartridge/supply line setup can supply enough water. For adding second showerhead supply line, I'd suggest running PEX to minimize turns/bends in the new showerhead supply line. Good luck!!

EDIT: I didn't see you wanted to add another valve instead of tee-ing off the current shower outlet line. My above flow rate experiment won't be as valid as adding another valve will cause more restriction. I'd suggest Delta R11000 on the shower outlet line of your current rough in. But first, try to the flow rate experiment to see where you are at.

Last edited by akuhn235; 03-17-2018 at 11:57 AM.
akuhn235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement