Adding A Floor Drain In Concrete - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 76

Adding a floor drain in concrete

I have a garage that there is a shop is above the garage and the floor separating them is poured concrete, maybe 6-8" thick. We were talking the other day and he was asking about putting in a floor drain so he could clean the shop area easier. Guess he washes stuff in there since it's a concrete floor and said it would be nice to be able to use a squeegee the water into a floor drain.

The plumbing part would be easy, the stack is right there so the drain would be short and can a vent pretty easy. But not sure about the actual floor drain install. Obviously have to core a hole in the floor but not sure what type of drain to use and how to make it secure in the hole? So how do you plumbers add a floor drain in a situation like this?
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,938

Is there anything draining into the stack below your tie in?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

What I have done in similar cases is to core drill part way through the deck using a bit as big or bigger than the drain body. Then finish drilling through using a 3" bit to receive a 2" drain pipe.
Chip out the core piece, set the drain in the recess and raise/lower the adjustable top grade.
I used a JR Smith 2005- http://www.jrsmith.com/Floor-Drain-w...-Strainer-Head
Plastic models are also available.
Anchor in some fashion from the bottom side. Then fill the topside of the flange with a no shrink grout or some product of your choice to floor level.
The only draw back is that the floor will not have a guaranteed water tight seal..... This method is really only for WH pan drains, ect.
ponch37300 (10-29-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #4

I was at menards today and saw a floor/shower drain similar to what Eplumber linked to. I picked one up and am going to measure what diameter hole it will need and will probably rent a 5 or 6" core bit and then a 3" core bit to drill the holes and create the "ledge" Eplumber talked about. Looks like the drain flange has some holes for anchors and I can just use some tapcons to secure it to the "ledge" and then pour some non shrinking grout to fill in around the drain.

Eplumber, any tips on chipping away the concrete for the bigger diameter hole? Just a chisel bit in my sds and go at it? So drill the 5 or 6" daimeter hole maybe 2" deep, then drill the 3" diameter hole all the way through, then chip out the concrete from the bigger hole 2 inches deep? Is that the correct procedure?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
I was at menards today and saw a floor/shower drain similar to what Eplumber linked to. I picked one up and am going to measure what diameter hole it will need and will probably rent a 5 or 6" core bit and then a 3" core bit to drill the holes and create the "ledge" Eplumber talked about. Looks like the drain flange has some holes for anchors and I can just use some tapcons to secure it to the "ledge" and then pour some non shrinking grout to fill in around the drain.

Eplumber, any tips on chipping away the concrete for the bigger diameter hole? Just a chisel bit in my sds and go at it? So drill the 5 or 6" daimeter hole maybe 2" deep, then drill the 3" diameter hole all the way through, then chip out the concrete from the bigger hole 2 inches deep? Is that the correct procedure?

Thanks for the help.
Pretty much- I would chip- at an angle- from the 3" toward the larger hole's edge
Also, what about rebar or cables?
Old 10-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Pretty much- I would chip- at an angle- from the 3" toward the larger hole's edge
Also, what about rebar or cables?
I know there is rebar but not sure how deep or where. I think the concrete is about 6-8" thick. I think for the larger core 2" deep should be good enough for the drain to sit in. I wouldn't think the rebar would be that close to the surface but I don't know.

Do you know if these cheaper core bits on ebay are decent or complete garbage? A 3.5" bit for 68 bucks, http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3-5-Diam...AAAOxyHE5RweC8. Here is a wet core drill for 200 bucks, http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BLUEROCK...QAAOxySFJSDTGh. I'm guessing they wouldn't hold up to everyday use but I probably will only drill a handfull of holes in my life time. Renting the bits and drill will probably be around 100 bucks for the day. So I would rather just buy the 200 dollar drill and 150 or so in bits and have them to use in the future. I do have a bosch sds max but the sds max core bits aren't meant to go through rebar I don't think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement