Adding Branch Off Main Water Supply To Install Another Outdoor Faucet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

Adding branch off main water supply to install another outdoor faucet

I want to install another outdoor faucet on the side of my house to make washing my car and watering the grass on the side and front of the house easier.

My current setup has the main line traveling up from the meter then turning 90 degrees to meet the rest of the branches. What I'd like to do is replace the 90 degree elbow with a tee so I can run the new branch along the perimeter of my basement. Is it ok to replace the 90 degree elbow with a tee or do I need to keep it and add a tee after the elbow? I wasn't sure if having a tee as the first bend in the water line would negatively affect the system?
Maybe causing it to lose pressure since it's no longer going in one direction?

Here are pics to illustrate what I'd like to do:

Marky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,928

Re: Adding branch off main water supply to install another outdoor faucet

Don't forget the hangers for pipe and the 2 3/4 inch couplings you will need. Make sure you have a little 3/4 inch pipe also. You will also need a 1/2 inch ball valve by the outside faucet and purchase a frost proof with vacuum breaker one. Make sure when you mount it it is tilted to the outside of the house for draining. Don't forget to remove the hoses during winter.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 266

All my water pipes are actually 1/2 inch. I planned on eventually increasing the main supply line to 3/4 inch so might as well do part of it now. I'll replace the 1/2 inch pipe coming from the meter until just before the branches start with 3/4". I'll connect that to the remaining 1/2" original supply line for the time being since repiping the section with all the branches will take a lot more time (I'll need a 3 day weekend for that).

I'm planning on using 1/2" for the new faucet branch since all the other branch lines are 1/2 inch. I'll have all the hangers and couplings before I start and I will be adding ball valves right after the meter on the new 3/4" supply line (so it's easier to shut off when I do work in the future) and before the silcock.

Am I correct in assuming I can add a tee to the top of the supply line? When I add the tee, essentially the water will being going to the left and the right. I didn't know if this would adversely affect water pressure to other branches. Most of the systems I see in other houses have a 90 degree elbow then the branches come afterward.

Thanks,
Mark
Marky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,694

Quote:
Am I correct in assuming I can add a tee to the top of the supply line?
Yes.

How is your soldering skills?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement