Adapting Bathroom Faucet To Garden Hose - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kuildeous
  • 1 Post By Kuildeous
  • 1 Post By whoppr

Old 09-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Adapting bathroom faucet to garden hose

Hi everyone. First-time poster, and I'm afraid I'm really rotten at DIY, so please forgive me if I'm not explaining myself properly. I'll be as descriptive as possible.

My goal is to hook up a garden hose to my bathroom faucet. Simple enough, but my faucet poses an interesting challenge as the threads are located deep in the faucet.

First, I purchased this adapter:
neoperl.com/consumer/garden-laundry-products/specifications.aspx?ModelNumber=37.0114.98

It looks great. It handles the garden hose, but the male connector is too short to reach the threads in my faucet. The base that holds the 3/4" female connector is too wide.

After futilely searching for something similar with a longer neck, I thought maybe I could just extend it, and so I picked up one of these:
acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=68707356

It connects nicely to the first adapter, but it only gets a little closer to the inset threads. The base is still just a bit too wide to get it in place.

I've looked through Home Depot and Westlake to try to find something that'll fit my needs. I'm going to have to look elsewhere, but I thought I'd check with the experts first. Does anyone know of an adapter that is long and narrow enough to screw into my inset faucet?
Kuildeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,222

Re: Adapting bathroom faucet to garden hose

Welcome to the forum kildeous.

The best and quickest way imo, is to take the aerator off and bring it with you to a big box or hardware store like ace as you have stated. Rather than trying to search online for a solution. They have samples you can screw it onto to get the correct size adapter you need to convert to hose bib.

You can ask someone there to help you and explain to them what you are trying to do. You may have to stack adapters to make it work as you found out depending on what brand faucet you have. Unless you have some unusual faucet brand you should be able to find a solution that will work. Just keep it mind you won't have very strong water pressure coming off a bathroom faucet.

What's the brand of faucet? Or post a couple pictures of it. Thanks.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
jeffmattero76 (10-03-2016), Kuildeous (09-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #3

Sadly, we can't find the paperwork for the sink, so I can't give you that information.

But we did not take the aerator into the store, and it looks like I really should have. I just did a comparison with two adapters: the first one I tried to twist in fit just fine in another adapter, but the aerator does not. It looks very similar, but it's obviously not the same, since it didn't fit. It's very close. It makes me wonder if my sink (Pfister) might be in metric.

So I'm going to go back to square one and take your advice to bring the aerator into the store so that we can resolve this in the store rather than take even more trips back and forth.

And hey, I found a cool forum for future projects. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kuildeous For This Useful Post:
jmon (09-19-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,956

A waterbed filling and draining kit generally contains an assortment of adapters for this.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 38

Pic of faucet spout with aerator removed may help...
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #6

Okay, so an update:

I did take the aerator into Ace, and I was able to confirm the size. It is 13/16", which astounded the store employee. He said that the most common size is 55/64". Sadly, going to two Ace stores and a Home Depot did not give me what I needed.

So I decided to order this piece:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/NEOPERL-1...1-05/203673021

It looks like it should screw into the faucet just fine. Then I just need to deal with the male 55/64", which hopefully will be handled by this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/NEOPERL-5...2-05/203673022

The hose I have seems to be the standard 3/4" with a female connection, so these two pieces may be all I need. I hope.

I did take a picture of the faucet with the aerator removed. I think I can still fit the adapter up in there. The reason I ordered from Home Depot is that I can return them if they don't work, but I hate abusing their return policy this much.

I appreciate your insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Adapting bathroom faucet to garden hose-faucet-close-up.png  
jmon likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kuildeous For This Useful Post:
jmon (09-21-2016), SeniorSitizen (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,222

Nice job! Definitely looks like you are on the right track kuildeous. Glad you got it figured out. Hope everything works out for you.

Let us know if this was a solution, so others who are looking and searching threads with a similar issue may find it helpful. Thanks.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #8

Okay, final update.

I got the two adapters, and they fit. I was able to attach the hose and hose off my balcony. While the bathroom faucet may not pump out as much water as an outside spigot, it was enough for my needs, which was to rinse off an air conditioning unit that was badly in need of a rinsing. The hose has a nice nozzle that adjusts the flow, so I was really able to get in there.

The only issue I had was when I unfastened the hose, I ended up leaving the first adapter in the faucet, so I had to get pliers to get that back out.

This is something I won't need often, but that AC unit doesn't get rain, so I'm glad I was finally able to get this.
supers05 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kuildeous For This Useful Post:
jmon (10-01-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuildeous View Post
Okay, final update.

I got the two adapters, and they fit. I was able to attach the hose and hose off my balcony. While the bathroom faucet may not pump out as much water as an outside spigot, it was enough for my needs, which was to rinse off an air conditioning unit that was badly in need of a rinsing. The hose has a nice nozzle that adjusts the flow, so I was really able to get in there.

The only issue I had was when I unfastened the hose, I ended up leaving the first adapter in the faucet, so I had to get pliers to get that back out.

This is something I won't need often, but that AC unit doesn't get rain, so I'm glad I was finally able to get this.
I saw this thread late and know you have a solution however for future reference, check a beer brewing supply store. I used to brew beer and they used to sell an adapter from the faucet to hose fittings.
Kuildeous likes this.
whoppr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whoppr For This Useful Post:
Kuildeous (10-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement