Aclove Tub Shower With Handheld: What Valves Do I Need? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

aclove tub shower with handheld: what valves do I need?

Im an electrician and not a plumber. I've done basic plumbing. However the manufacturers websites like delta and moen aren't laid out for trades people. They are all flash and awe with no real info.

Anyways, I am installing a standard 60x30 alcove tub setup as a tub/shower. My wife has stated a handheld is a requirement. I would like to install a handheld shower bar instead of it being attached to the main shower head.

something like this....

I would also prefer to have an in-wall valve control between the main shower head and handheld instead of a thread on diverter on the shower head arm.

For example....Say I am going with a delta tub/shower kit which includes the shower head, valve body and trim and the tub spout. Can I simply purchase and install a delta 3 position valve on the shower head output side of the main valve?

Also, does any manufacturer offer a tub shower setup that doesn't have the diverter on the tub spout?
Sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,852

Yes you can. Just make sure your hand held has a back flow on it to protect your water from contamination. Easy to test remove the hand hold and suck where the house attaches. You should not be able to do this. If you can you will need a vacuum breaker installed.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 22

it looks like from doing some reading i could use a delta multichoice shower valve and from the outlet of that valve assembly plumb in a delta 6 position diverter valve, which would allow me to then plumb three different outputs...tub, shower and handheld.

My only concern with the 6 position valve is adding over complexity to the shower experience. Thhe few overlapping positions where I would have either the main shower head or handheld on at the same time as the tub spout which would be kinda silly, no?

I suppose I could live with the multichoice tub shower valve with a tub spout diverter and run the 3 position diverter above that to control the shower head and handheld.

Or am I complicating things and just run a thread on diverter valve on the shower head?

finally, why does a hand held require a check valve/ back flow preventer? the entire assembly is a giant air gap.
Sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,852

It is as long as it can't ever get below the flood level rim of the fixture. So if it can you have no air gap. US code now requires the back flow on the hand held. Delta hand held no problem other junk off the net has problems. If you pipe your 3 way right you can have it do shower head only. Shower head and hand held and hand held only.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,270

Quote:
... If you pipe your 3 way right ...
You also need an "all off position" aka "mute switch" so you can soap up without having the water running continuously.

To provide this you need two controls up top, either in the same 3 way or using an auxiliary adapter attached to the 3 way.

Any hardware store or Lowes like store should have the necessary parts sold separately.

A hand held that can't fall into a full tub (below the flood level) will be too short for some tub and surround scrubbing and sanitizing activities or for washing a child's hair.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-11-2015 at 07:32 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement