3/4" Water Line To 1" - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

3/4" water line to 1"

I'm updating my old metal waterlines to pex after where it enters the house. I notice that the current line is 3/4" before & after the meter. I want to change to 1" after the meter to increase the flow rate so when I water the garden n use the dishwasher at the same time, water pressure doesnt have as much of a strain. Is this logical to do? I'm thinking it'll only be about 20' of 1" with about 8 tees branching off this main water line before reaching the water heater where it ends. I want to go up to the 1" after the water meeter then back down to 3/4" at the branches then into 1/2" where applicable into the faucets n such. Again asking if I'm thinking right on this? Is this a logical way to go?
kopfnagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,690

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopfnagels View Post
...so when I water the garden and use the dishwasher at the same time
Does this happen a lot in the normal course of your lives?

Quote:
Is this a logical way to go?
Do the metal pipes have problems?
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,114

Quote:
I'm updating my old metal waterlines to pex after where it enters the house. I notice that the current line is 3/4" before & after the meter. I want to change to 1" after the meter to increase the flow rate so when I water the garden n use the dishwasher at the same time, water pressure doesnt have as much of a strain. Is this logical to do? I'm thinking it'll only be about 20' of 1" with about 8 tees branching off this main water line before reaching the water heater where it ends. I want to go up to the 1" after the water meeter then back down to 3/4" at the branches then into 1/2" where applicable into the faucets n such. Again asking if I'm thinking right on this? Is this a logical way to go?
Are your current "metal" lines copper or galvanized?

Trying to visualize your post. Replace 20' of the main line with PEX and have 8 tees with each tee going to "metal" lines?
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

" I notice that the current line is 3/4" before & after the meter". The key wording here is that the water line is 3/4" before the meter. Changing the water line to anything over 3/4" after the meter will not change the static pressure in the system nor will the larger line after the meter give you any more water than the water line entering the meter through the 3/4" line will deliver. Yes, a 1" pipe does have a larger flow rate than a 3/4" pipe but you will have a restriction if the incoming water line/pipe is not changed/increased. Most residential water meters that I am familiar with will have a size cast onto the housing that indicates the size of the meter, such as 5/8", or 3/4", or 1". Your local water supplier can give you the flow rates for each of those size meters depending on you local water supply.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
joecaption (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
" I notice that the current line is 3/4" before & after the meter". The key wording here is that the water line is 3/4" before the meter. Changing the water line to anything over 3/4" after the meter will not change the static pressure in the system nor will the larger line after the meter give you any more water than the water line entering the meter through the 3/4" line will deliver. Yes, a 1" pipe does have a larger flow rate than a 3/4" pipe but you will have a restriction if the incoming water line/pipe is not changed/increased. Most residential water meters that I am familiar with will have a size cast onto the housing that indicates the size of the meter, such as 5/8", or 3/4", or 1". Your local water supplier can give you the flow rates for each of those size meters depending on you local water supply.
If the OP uses PEX other than Uponer/Wirsbo PEX, the fittings will cause the ID to be smaller than the 1" PEX line so it would be a good thing to go with 1" PEX.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #6

Metal....yes... i mean galvanized. I couldnt think of that when i posted. That is what i currently have. I do have some copper coming off of the galvanized but I'm looking to replace most of that with the pex as well.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
If the OP uses PEX other than Uponer/Wirsbo PEX, the fittings will cause the ID to be smaller than the 1" PEX line so it would be a good thing to go with 1" PEX.

HRG
right, so in essence, 1" PEX does not achieve what the OP tought 1" would do. the flow rate is restricted by the 3/4" inlet. so, 1" PEX seems logical to keep existing post-meter restrictions down to a minimum, etc.
concrete_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #8

Updating the galvanized with pex. Home was built pre 1800s the galvanized was either from a remodel in the 30s or 70s we think. Galvanized currently works well, just would b nice to update and simplify the basement a bit. The 8 branches will b to cloths washer, 2 spikots, 3 sinks, shower, tub, water heater. So 9 total i guess. Currently there is only 8
Old 01-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,932

3/4 should work very will with that small load. The important question to answer is your waterline to the street also galvanized. If so you should replace it also.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #10

I imagine it is. I will have to check into that
Old 01-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #11
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

Quote:
I imagine it is. I will have to check into that
I have seen 3/4" water service lines so corroded you couldn't insert a pencil into the pipe. Given the age of your system, this may be an issue to address as well.
ben's plumbing (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 582

if the main line is 3/4 galvanized...that is your problem...changing inside lines and leaving old 3/4 galvanized line will do nothing....do your homework 1 st see if incomming main line is copper or galvanized...go from there see what your supply pressure is also.... let us know that before you proceed...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #13
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

Posted by "Ghostmaker": " The important question to answer is your waterline to the street also galvanized. If so you should replace it also". IMO--the water line from the street to a meter usually belongs to the water supplier, whether it is a private water service or a municipal supply. In some areas these are not to be altered, repaired, or touched by a private homeowner without a permit. Actually in most cases the homeowner cannot get to the tap on the main water line because of the equipment involved to do so. In my area a homeowner cannot remove a water meter as it is the property of the City. The City will change out a water meter from the normal residential 5/8" meter to a 1" meter if a homeowner is installing an underground lawn sprinkler system or can show a significant reason for the additional water to a residence. All City meters in my area are fed by a 1" line from the main water supply for residential applications.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 582

here in my area of pa ....homeowner is responsible for main line for curb box in..I replace them all the time...water company just inspects them...homeowner pays the bill
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,600

my last home, built in 1960'ish, had an odd sized solid hard brass line (i think the walls were like 1/4" and ID was about 0.8"), about 60ft from street to basement where meter was. street was just a valve.

so, if the meter is in house then homeowner has little to pay if replacing pipe "to the meter", etc.
concrete_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement