2nd Floor Bath In Old House - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

2nd floor bath in old house

Hello

I apologize, I am new to the forum. I posted my 1 post required to submit links, yet I still cannot post a picture. The picture in question is in my user album.

I am attempting to install a 2nd floor bathroom, and I'm concerned about possible problems with the proposed setup.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you for your time.
mattthebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,812

Re: 2nd floor bath in old house

Going to tell and ask you the same thing as I did before, did you get a permit before doing this, you have notched the floor joist, huge mistake.
Still have not heard a reply on if the shower drain is 2".

Last edited by joecaption; 07-26-2016 at 07:05 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Welcome to the forum.

A bit more information will help you get the best answers.
You need 3 to 5 posts in order to post pictures (spam control)

How old is the house?
Is the plumbing steel water lines or copper?
Drains, PVC or cast iron?

What are you planning for the bath?

Full gut to the studs? New plumbing and electric?

New tub or shower?
More info please.
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you. I will be doing a LOT myself, and I know the best resource is experienced folk.

Quote:
A bit more information will help you get the best answers.
You need 3 to 5 posts in order to post pictures (spam control)
Ahh that wasn't quite clear.

Quote:
How old is the house?
At least 100 years! There's a barn down the street that says 1874, and this place was a certified 100 year farm house. My wife and I have spent years in a similar place, but nothing there needed attention. I'm here to make sure I don't screw up anything with MY FIRST AND ONLY HOUSE.
Quote:
Is the plumbing steel water lines or copper?
Drains, PVC or cast iron? What are you planning for the bath?
Plumbing everywhere was a combination of galvanized steel and copper. I'm happy to report I have replaced all but a couple feet of copper, with PEX. Drains are all PVC, except the cast iron wye to the septic. I had fun using a ratchet-type soil pipe cutter to remove all but a foot of cast iron stack!

Quote:
Full gut to the studs? New plumbing and electric?
New tub or shower?
More info please.
I really don't want to tear into the walls any more than I have to. I have taken down one wall in this bathroom - the wall to the picture's left. This wall was where the old shower spout came out of. It was lath and plaster and later replastered with builder's mesh. One stud was cut out completely, about a foot from the floor
I bashed out the old cast iron tub (not a claw foot and no other way out) and plastic shower surround. My wife wants a big walk-in shower, so we're going with a "Goof Proof" drain pan scheme there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Going to tell and ask you the same thing as I did before, did you get a permit before doing this, you have notched the floor joist, huge mistake.
Still have not heard a reply on if the shower drain is 2".
"Before" hasn't happened on this forum But yes, in case you like this forum more, the piping is 2" but the fittings were 1 1/2" I believe the original idea was any larger trap would encroach past the ceiling on the first floor.

For the rest of the crowd, no I did not cut through joists. The joists were cut when the original piping was placed 70 years ago (only evidence was a department store sticker under the top floor boards, and a Hunts matchbook cover from the 60s under a pipe). I found all kinds of piping in my house: copper, steel, iron, and lead. The supply piping is entirely PEX (with the cinch clamp fittings, brass inserts) and drainage is PVC.
mattthebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
Plumber

Rewards Points: 568

Be sure you received and responded to the New Member email. It might help with links and picture posting.

There are some issues with your proposed layout. Can you tell us which plumbing code your area uses? It will make a difference when responding to your questions.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,948

Was it worth replacing the copper supply? I guess depends on water quality and age, but if the main reason was the lead solder, there is more of it in the city supply before the house. I leave the kitchen faucet on for about 3 gl of water in the morning and use lead filter for drinking.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement