1 Radiator On 2nd Floor Cold - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #46
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,058
Rewards Points: 80
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
For steam boilers you have no choice but to open. it's law. You also must test them once a year... a pop test as well as accumulation test (you have to keep the boiler running after they pop open and record the maximum pressure the boiler hits). I've got one boiler I do which has four 2 inch relief valves. It makes a heck of a mess during an accumulation test!
I've only dealt with low pressure steam boilers and water only boilers.

Our laws are clearly different. They usually stick because if crud in them. I've cleaned them out before and 50% of the time they reseat after that. The other half, there's just too much much crud to seal, but they actually work just fine.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-08-2017, 02:58 AM   #47
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 38,904
Rewards Points: 9,532
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
Which means the relief valve is buggered and needs changing anyway so the boiler SHOULD be shut down.

If these devices are exercised regularly (as they should be) through their try levers, it minimizes the chance of sticking due to long periods of non use. In Manitoba this is guarded status law (for steam boilers). A relief valve is to be exercised once every 24 hours for a low pressure boiler and once every 8 hours for a higher pressure system.
But since joetab24 is in PA USA instead of Manitoba Canada, its not done, nor is it code here.

The tech may have shut the manual valve off because the auto feed bleeds through.

So why would you want joetab24 to go without heat till Monday if his relief opens and doesn't close. Most of us try not to give advise that could cause a poster to have no heat until the next normal business day. Or call out a tech on the weekend and pay a high fee to have something fixed.
__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-08-2017, 05:21 AM   #48
Member
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 10,879
Rewards Points: 2,536
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
But since joetab24 is in PA USA instead of Manitoba Canada, its not done, nor is it code here.

The tech may have shut the manual valve off because the auto feed bleeds through.

So why would you want joetab24 to go without heat till Monday if his relief opens and doesn't close. Most of us try not to give advise that could cause a poster to have no heat until the next normal business day. Or call out a tech on the weekend and pay a high fee to have something fixed.
BT... Sorry, man but you were wrong and you missed the boat. The job is done and the op's house didn't blow up. Time to move on.
Bob Sanders is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-08-2017, 05:57 AM   #49
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 38,904
Rewards Points: 9,532
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
BT... Sorry, man but you were wrong and you missed the boat. The job is done and the op's house didn't blow up. Time to move on.
He may, or may not have shut off the manual valve again. Hopefully he shut it off.
__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #50
Member
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 10,879
Rewards Points: 2,536
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
He may, or may not have shut off the manual valve again. Hopefully he shut it off.
Which would defeat the entire purpose of the pressure regulator.

BT.... Give it a rest. You're just embarrassing yourself now.
Bob Sanders is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 08:11 AM   #51
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 38,904
Rewards Points: 9,532
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
Which would defeat the entire purpose of the pressure regulator.

BT.... Give it a rest. You're just embarrassing yourself now.
There are 2 schools on auto water feed valves.
1. Leave it open
2. Close it

Leave it open say to do so so that it can automatically maintain boiler water pressure.

Close it. Say to close it since if the system needs water, the system should be checked for a leak. plus, if the system springs a large leak, the auto water feed will just increase the amount of water damage.

For joetab24, no one knows if his auto feed bleeds through or not. Since none of us have ESP.
__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #52
Member
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 10,879
Rewards Points: 2,536
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

For joetab24, no one knows if his auto feed bleeds through or not. Since none of us have ESP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
It sounds like that autofeeder hasn't been used in a while so I would keep and eye on the pressure for a few days just to make sure it's working properly. It'll go up and down a little due to expansion/contraction of the water, but it shouldn't go up too high. If you notice water dribbling out the relief valve (usually happens when the pressure hits 30 pounds) then the feeder needs to be replaced.... otherwise... good luck!


Give it a rest BT
Bob Sanders is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #53
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 38,904
Rewards Points: 9,532
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders
It sounds like that autofeeder hasn't been used in a while so I would keep and eye on the pressure for a few days just to make sure it's working properly. It'll go up and down a little due to expansion/contraction of the water, but it shouldn't go up too high. If you notice water dribbling out the relief valve (usually happens when the pressure hits 30 pounds) then the feeder needs to be replaced.... otherwise... good luck!
Yes, he can come home from work at lunch time and check it each day for the rest of the week. And just quickly swap it out if he comes home and finds the relief dripping water and not resetting.
Save
__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #54
Member
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 10,879
Rewards Points: 2,536
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Yes, he can come home from work at lunch time and check it each day for the rest of the week. And just quickly swap it out if he comes home and finds the relief dripping water and not resetting.
Save
Oh dear lorde...
He can come home at lunch and find that a tornado ripped through his house too.

You go ahead and rattle on with your silliness BT. I won't laugh AT you... I promise!
Bob Sanders is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #55
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,058
Rewards Points: 80
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


[quote=Bob Sanders;3864442]...quote]
I agree with BT.... It was a risk.

Cheers!

Last edited by supers05; 01-08-2017 at 10:27 AM.
supers05 is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #56
Member
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 10,879
Rewards Points: 2,536
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


[quote=supers05;3864802]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
...quote]
I agree with BT.... It was a risk.

Cheers!
Yes... I would figure you would see it that way after saying "SURE"! to dragging out a hose and filling through the DRAIN spigot.
Any.... "pro" would surely recommend such a move over the PROPER channel of filling a boiler!

As it turns out, the isolation valve was off which is why the boiler wasn't getting any water in the first place. I wonder why the.... "PROS" here didn't think of that first... particularly since the claim as of late (by BT) that it should be off because the are "2 schools of thought" on the auto feeder. BT's first thought is that the auto feeder is plugged... meaning he thought the isolation valve was.... ON. I wonder why the heck he would think it was on when there are "2 schools of thought"!?!!?

Want to know a REAL risk? Filling through the DRAIN spigot which is located at the bottom of the boiler where all the sediment is. Now that's a brilliant move! You blow all that sediment back into the water where now you REALLY stand a chance of a relief valve not seating properly. Great stuff guys!

You two sure you want to call yourselves.... "PROS"?
Bob Sanders is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #57
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,058
Rewards Points: 80
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


[quote=Bob Sanders;3865042]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post

Yes... I would figure you would see it that way after saying "SURE"! to dragging out a hose and filling through the DRAIN spigot.
Any.... "pro" would surely recommend such a move over the PROPER channel of filling a boiler!

As it turns out, the isolation valve was off which is why the boiler wasn't getting any water in the first place. I wonder why the.... "PROS" here didn't think of that first... particularly since the claim as of late (by BT) that it should be off because the are "2 schools of thought" on the auto feeder. BT's first thought is that the auto feeder is plugged... meaning he thought the isolation valve was.... ON. I wonder why the heck he would think it was on when there are "2 schools of thought"!?!!?

Want to know a REAL risk? Filling through the DRAIN spigot which is located at the bottom of the boiler where all the sediment is. Now that's a brilliant move! You blow all that sediment back into the water where now you REALLY stand a chance of a relief valve not seating properly. Great stuff guys!

You two sure you want to call yourselves.... "PROS"?
That spigot would hold a teaspoon of sediment... The 2 sediment taps hold to the right hold much more.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #58
Member
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 10,879
Rewards Points: 2,536
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


[quote=supers05;3865066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
That spigot would hold a teaspoon of sediment... The 2 sediment taps hold to the right hold much more.

Cheers!
Not just the spigot. The whole bottom of the boiler. Water rushes through a hose at a much higher velocity than through an auto feeder. You would stir it all up pretty good. The higher velocity also increases your chances of overfilling and blowing the relief valve.

But hey... you guys just keep coming with these..... brilliant ideas! I mean really... why should anyone want to fill a boiler PROPERLY?

I have an idea... next time you need to go somewhere.... don't start the car.... just push it. If you start it, the accelerator pedal might get stuck!
Bob Sanders is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #59
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,058
Rewards Points: 80
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


[quote=Bob Sanders;3865106]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post

Not just the spigot. The whole bottom of the boiler. Water rushes through a hose at a much higher velocity than through an auto feeder. You would stir it all up pretty good. The higher velocity also increases your chances of overfilling and blowing the relief valve.

But hey... you guys just keep coming with these..... brilliant ideas! I mean really... why should anyone want to fill a boiler PROPERLY?

I have an idea... next time you need to go somewhere.... don't start the car.... just push it. If you start it, the accelerator pedal might get stuck!
Why on earth would you turn it on full bore......

Anyways, he was concerned for the OP. I thought about telling him to use the auto feeder, but BT already answered. I've also had them fail open after manually opening them, and it was a valid concern.

Monday would have been a better time to try. It wasn't a bad idea, just not great timing.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #60
Member
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 10,879
Rewards Points: 2,536
Default

Re: 1 Radiator on 2nd Floor Cold


[quote=supers05;3865146]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
Why on earth would you turn it on full bore......
I wouldn't turn it on at all, because I wouldn't be caught dead doing something so dumb. However in your imfament wisdom in encouraging such a thing... you forgot to tell the op not to turn it on full bore
Bob Sanders is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts