Mouse Damage Remediation? - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Studly

Old 11-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 117

Mouse damage remediation?

Iíve got a split level home and was planning to replace some paneling in the lower level. I took off a small piece to look behind a wall and found mouse droppings, shredded insulation, evidence of nesting, etc behind the drywall. I had an exterminator come out and trap and do a rodent exclusion service. Is it recommended to also remove the drywall on two walls in the room (13í x 25í) that had rodent damage? On the positive side this would let us correctly insulate the room since the drywall would be gone and make some other needed improvements. We have kids and dogs and have heard about viruses, etc so we would avoid that too. On the downside itís gonna cost a few thousand to do the cleanup and will obviously be a mess. Iím all for getting it cleaned up, just not sure if itís worth a few grand to pay to get it done, or if itís a DIY job, or if itís better left alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scottyv81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,862

Re: Mouse damage remediation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyv81 View Post
I had an exterminator come out and trap and do a rodent exclusion service. Is it recommended to also remove the drywall on two walls in the room (13’ x 25’) that had rodent damage?
That would be totally up to you; Definitely a diy project if you have the skills, time and money. Imo, I don't think that would be necessary. You did the main thing by hiring the rodent exclusion service. They got rid of your pests and sealed the entry points. Relax. Just my opinion.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 357

Re: Mouse damage remediation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyv81 View Post
Iíve got a split level home and was planning to replace some paneling in the lower level. I took off a small piece to look behind a wall and found mouse droppings, shredded insulation, evidence of nesting, etc behind the drywall. I had an exterminator come out and trap and do a rodent exclusion service. Is it recommended to also remove the drywall on two walls in the room (13í x 25í) that had rodent damage? On the positive side this would let us correctly insulate the room since the drywall would be gone and make some other needed improvements. We have kids and dogs and have heard about viruses, etc so we would avoid that too. On the downside itís gonna cost a few thousand to do the cleanup and will obviously be a mess. Iím all for getting it cleaned up, just not sure if itís worth a few grand to pay to get it done, or if itís a DIY job, or if itís better left alone.

I think most homes would find evidence of mice between the walls in certain spots. I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you're not seeing evidence of mice inside your rooms. Sounds like you took care of that. When it comes time to remodel and you happen to be pulling off drywall, then you can replace the insulation and clean everything up.

Don't worry about viruses in sealed walls. If you do see mouse droppings anywhere, just spray them with a disinfectant before cleaning them up and saturate them enough so they stay wet and don't turn into dust when you're cleaning them up. You could wear a dust mask to be double safe when cleaning them up.

Good luck!
Dave Sal likes this.
Studly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement