Household Cockroaches - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree12Likes

Old 04-05-2019, 09:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,082

Household cockroaches

These are those little brown roaches, not to be confused with palmetto bugs, etc., but the ones that live in your house, even if you're in Alaska (so I've heard anyway).

If you can bait adults before they start to lay eggs, you can often get rid of them before they get out of hand.

If not . . .

You can end up with a bunch that, among other things, get in your diswasher's control panel and excrete effluvium that shorts out the circuit (which was saved with some electronic cleaner).

In that case, use growth inhibitor. It won't hurt the adults, but even a slight exposure by immature roaches causes them to die before they can reproduce.

SHOAH to the roaches.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 12:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,044

Re: Household cockroaches

When I lived in Hawaii, everyone had roaches. Huge ones that fly to you. There are caves of roaches.

My cats loved playing with these toys. I'd get up in the morning & the huge roaches would be bundled up in the throw rugs with no arms & legs, or wings still alive.

I felt bad but it made for happy cats.
Gymschu, Dave Sal and DoomsDave like this.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 04:58 AM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,888

Although it is not a poison and will not kill the roaches, sprinkling Borax behind refrigerators, cabinet bases, etc. will deter them. It won't kill them, just make them move to your neighbor's house.
Nik333 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #4
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,922

4-5 times a year, I spray around the outside of my house with Ortho Home Defense. A one gallon container can last 12-18 months depending on the size of the home

I pay particular attention to any areas that open to the inside, windows, doors and vents. I have been doing this for years and rarely find any bugs or insects inside the house.

If I do spot a bug inside, I immediately do an application.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
When I lived in Hawaii, everyone had roaches. Huge ones that fly to you. There are caves of roaches.

My cats loved playing with these toys. I'd get up in the morning & the huge roaches would be bundled up in the throw rugs with no arms & legs, or wings still alive.

I felt bad but it made for happy cats.
When I moved the Corpus Christi Texas, I lived for a while in a duplex shotgun shack, with my kitty cat, The Panintheass, the kitty LOVED to eat the giant woodroaches in our space.

You'd hear, pat-pat-pat-pat, LEAP! pounce scuffle-scuffle-scuffle crunch crunch crunch crunch . . .
Nik333 likes this.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #6

And, in a similar slightly sadistic bent like @Nik333 's post, I sometimes use brake cleaner spray on the giant woodroaches that get in my kitchen once in a while, and they sometimes move a lot like Russian Cossack dancers, I swear to dieties:

And this makes no sense whatsoever, but I don't even care, snarfed all over the keyboard.

Nik333 likes this.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #7

I just read that Larry was burned as a child. The Dr suggested the violin. He became a talented violinist then developed a show with violin & Russian dance. Then he became part of Three Stooges. Smart Dr!
DoomsDave likes this.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
Contractor/Engineer

Rewards Points: 1,092

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Although it is not a poison and will not kill the roaches, sprinkling Borax behind refrigerators, cabinet bases, etc. will deter them. It won't kill them, just make them move to your neighbor's house.
If you mean Boric Acid - yes it will kill them. They get it on themselves and then ingest some while cleaning. The Boric Acid acts as asbestos does in our lungs and penetrates their exoskeletons causing them to dehydrate and die.

I alway "puff" roach powder (boric acid in a squeeze bottle, behind and under cabinets during installation, into stud cavities before installing insulation and buttoning up the wall, etc. etc. Boric Acid is also used as a treatment for pressure treating wood...
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #9
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,888

Not so much Boric Acid, as it can have adverse effects on pets, etc. Just 20 Mule Team Borax, as in laundry detergent. I suppose it has just enough boric acid to keep them at bay.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #10

Boric acid powder, e..g., "Roach Prufe" is a fiendish thing. Work it into cracks and crevices and roaches get it on them, and it rubs off their out layer of wax and they die!. It turns their very effective mechanism for survival against them!

Yeah!

And, I've used it. Back in ancient times, this brand-new lady veterinarian took over an old goat's practice and there were roaches EVERYWHERE.

After I explained the process (work into all the cracks) she offers me $500 to apply it. So I do.

Filth, everywhere. But I work it in.

She calls me the following day: "Can you get on over here?"

I get there and there's dead and dying roaches half an inch deep all over. I filled up a couple of five gallon buckets with dead roaches. The white tile floor was black and brown with them.

But it did work!

She even gave me a bunch of advice on my doggies and kitties on top of all that.

But

Therein lies the rub. You have to get that stuff into all the cracks and crevices. If you miss any, that's a haven, from which they may sally forth again.

Growth inhibitor is MUCH better, and it will control fleas, too!
Old 04-10-2019, 06:31 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDave View Post
These are those little brown roaches, not to be confused with palmetto bugs, etc., but the ones that live in your house, even if you're in Alaska (so I've heard anyway).

If you can bait adults before they start to lay eggs, you can often get rid of them before they get out of hand.

If not . . .

You can end up with a bunch that, among other things, get in your diswasher's control panel and excrete effluvium that shorts out the circuit (which was saved with some electronic cleaner).

In that case, use growth inhibitor. It won't hurt the adults, but even a slight exposure by immature roaches causes them to die before they can reproduce.

SHOAH to the roaches.
Great, Thanks! I will try this. As my house has cockroaches in almost every corner.
Sandra James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra James View Post
Great, Thanks! I will try this. As my house has cockroaches in almost every corner.
Be super thorough in the application, as it depends on exposure for effectiveness.

In particular, pull out the fridge, the stove, etc., if you can, and try to spray the entire area behind them. Clean out closets and cupboards and spray the entire interiors.

Note that growth inhibitor is effective for about 6 months.

Also, use it along with poison baits, etc., to put a dent in the adults.

You'll know it's working when you see roaches with gimpy wings; they will be unable to mature and will die without reproducing.

Here's a link to one company that sells stuff, there's others, too. Don't be afraid to shop around.
https://www.peststrategies.com/revie...products/#igrs

If you have a really bad infestation be prepared for a long battle.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:57 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,096

I've been in Alaska my entire life and I've never once seen a cockroach up here. Maybe the shrews eat them too fast heh

(One of the coolest things I've seen in the insect world was watching a cricket kick a shrew's butt though)

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra James View Post
Buy some roach motel/glue traps. They're not a solution, but they help.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
I've been in Alaska my entire life and I've never once seen a cockroach up here. Maybe the shrews eat them too fast heh

(One of the coolest things I've seen in the insect world was watching a cricket kick a shrew's butt though)
Bet you'd love a lizard eating a whole, live Black Widow spider . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement