Help With Carpenter Ants, Have Treated But Now What? - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Unhappy

Help with Carpenter Ants, Have treated but now what?

Hello everyone,

Thank you for this wonderful resource and your expertise. I have read many of the posts on carpenter ants and it's helping put my mind at ease, but I still have some concerns. I apologize for the length, but I'm very frustrated.

Background: 1st time homeowner, 1940's block house in C. Florida with board roof structure (no plywood), sunroom addition looks to be uninsulated and cheap materials from the 80's, past water damage, Roof leaks fixed two years ago and a minor one last year.

We had some minor carpenter ant activity last year, in the sunroom, so I treated with Maxforce carpenter ant gel and the protein granules. Worked great, ants gone after a week or two, only one or two ever seen in the house.

This past month, we saw a trail of THOUSANDS of carpenter ants moving from part of the yard towards the sunroom. Thinking it was a next relocation, immediately ordered more Maxforce Gel and protein and started using it on the trail and where we knew they were coming in. Additionally, baited inside the sunroom. Had hundreds of hungry ants on the trail take the bait, but not much interest inside. Started seeing ants on the wall next to the door which enters the home, under where the roof leaks were two years ago which we had fixed.

Opened up the sunrooms drop ceiling and saw a bunch of ants moving around. Used almost a full tube of Maxforce gel there, they LOVED it. It's been two or three weeks since then.

I am still finding 10-30 dead or "drunk and dying" ants a day, but these are INSIDE the house, not just the sunroom. Because they seem like they are dying, I cannot figure out where they are coming from. They don't trail, they don't want any food or either bait, they just run around in circles for hours until they die. At first I was seeing female fliers, now it's workers and male fliers.

Have I successfully gotten enough bait into the nest? How long might this continue? Should I hire someone to come in and inspect or, continue DIY ing?

I am going crazy trying to figure out where they are entering from!! They seem to congregate in the kitchen, but no matter how long I watch the baseboards, garage door, or the wood ceiling in the living room, I cannot find an entry point they are using. To be sure, there are a lot of options.

Any advice?? Help!
1stHomeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 496

Re: Help with Carpenter Ants, Have treated but now what?

You probably have a nest in the wall. Probably have some damage as well. My first time I dealt with them I tried exterior treatments and thought they were gone. By the time I figured out they were still in there the damage was pretty extensive. Second time I recognized the saw dust pile. Took the siding off and aggressively treated it. As well as replacing a header and a few other boards. Iím not saying tear open your walls. But keep a good eye on them while your treating, check several weeks after as well. If you keep seeing them I would try to access the area by removing Sheetrock or siding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks, @BayouRunner , for the reply. I'm pretty sure I'll need to do as you say, but at this point I can't figure out which wall it may be. I'm thinking it is the attic, unfortunately. I've tapped and listened to all the walls we have, but out walls are block or plaster, so it's hard to tell if there is any noise on the other side.

I'll keep an eye on the baseboards and walls, try and figure out where they may be coming from or going to.
1stHomeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2018, 11:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 34

I'm in the same boat as I think there's a nest over my front porch. Saw ants at the beginning of the summer swarming in that area and got rid of them. Noticed them back about three weeks ago and treated again. No sight of them since.

I believe there are some powders and aerosols that you can drill a small hole where ever and then apply the pesticide into whatever void is there.
AnotherHomeOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 50

Here is what i did. Open up all the electrical outlets in your house. Get some Bayer Carpenter ant killer from HD. Two table spoons to a gallon of water or stronger if you dare. Pop open a wire entry hole in each electrical plug boxes. Turn off electric current first. Get a long toilet metal water tube and force it in the wire hole-bottom of course. I unscrewed and moved aside each plug with an electric screw driver. Pour or squirt a couple of cups in each location. Problem solved on the inside. Walk around your house at night with a flash light and look for big black ants. One or two ants is too many. spray or paint more of the Bayer in that location. Be careful with the poison read precautions.

Carpenter ants are beneficial out in the woods but not in your house. They do not live in your house. They just visit and chew your wood and search for food crumbs and water.
hankdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
carpenter ants , florida , maxforce gel , new homeowner