What Would You Do With This Living Room Space? So Much Potential, But I'm Uninspired! - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RustNeverSleeps
  • 1 Post By lorie86

Old 11-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
Caffeinated

Rewards Points: 6

What would you do with this living room space? So much potential, but I'm uninspired!

Hey everyone!

The room is newly painted and the floors are also new. These two things I do not want to change, but am pretty open besides that.

The obvious first changes are to add a coffee table and area rug. We are choosing those now, but there is just so much more space that I feel is being wasted.

Is the TV in the best area? We are thinking of mounting it instead.

Ideas on how to maximize usage of space here?

The room just seems so vacant.
Attached Thumbnails
What would you do with this living room space? So much potential, but I'm uninspired!-lr1.png   What would you do with this living room space? So much potential, but I'm uninspired!-lr2.png  
CoffeeKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 127

My thoughts . Way to monochrome. The basic tone of of the walls , furniture and the floor are pretty close. There isn't any contrast. The black entertainment just looks like a boat anchor. Ideally , Ditch the furniture and don't by a set. Replace the sofa with one with some color to it. Buy some chairs of coordinating but different color and style . Perhaps some interesting area rugs, a couple of end tables and some lamps. Replace the entertainment center with one either of a light maple or preferably white . That will add some some interest and lightness to the room. If you can't buy new furniture, change the wall color perhaps to a very light green (kind of like white green) and definitely replace the TV entertainment center with a least something that is not boat anchor black and add a some area rugs with color interest.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
Caffeinated

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01 View Post
My thoughts . Way to monochrome. The basic tone of of the walls , furniture and the floor are pretty close. There isn't any contrast. The black entertainment just looks like a boat anchor. Ideally , Ditch the furniture and don't by a set. Replace the sofa with one with some color to it. Buy some chairs of coordinating but different color and style . Perhaps some interesting area rugs, a couple of end tables and some lamps. Replace the entertainment center with one either of a light maple or preferably white . That will add some some interest and lightness to the room. If you can't buy new furniture, change the wall color perhaps to a very light green (kind of like white green) and definitely replace the TV entertainment center with a least something that is not boat anchor black and add a some area rugs with color interest.
We have a dark leather couch we were thinking of bringing instead. I love your idea of bringing in another chair that doesn't match with some color. Any advice on a pop of color that goes with the neutral paint color? Would burgundy be too neutral?

Taking notes on your wonderful ideas!
CoffeeKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

Wet bar, pool table and big screen TV w/a-big-ol-honkin-stereo!

"Living room" is for old folks that live a boring life!
j/k
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 572

Looks like it needs a trophy Elk & Mule Deer mounts....

Then some nice trout, salmon & steelhead mounts for color...

a display of old shotguns would put it over the top....

oh yea & a bear skin rug....only to look at.....
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 176

Some food for thought (not advice) from someone who currently has a uninspired living room:
  • I would keep the furniture if it was comfortable and try to make it work. At least for a while, since it is likely the most expensive upgrade to consider.
  • Definitely needs some sort of area rug.
  • Certainly needs some mix of coffee tables and side tables (I could not live without)
  • Would it be possible to push the couch forward so that all the chairs are closer together (anchored by an area rug), creating a path behind the couch to access the short hallway? (Hard to tell if the room is square of if that is a triangular insert for a half bath). If there was enough room, could then consider adding a behind-the-couch-slim-table. It may make the room focus too much on the TV, but I suppose that is the main activity anyway.
  • Can the top half of the console be removed, leaving the long table underneath for the TV to rest on? That would open up the windows, making the entertainment piece feel less massive.
  • Add table lamps and appropriate task lighting
  • Add window treatments to complement any other changes made
  • Add crown moldings
  • Swap out the overhead ceiling fan, something white to help hide it or change color of fan blades so they don't match the floor & furniture so closely. IMO it should not be the primary light source.
lorie86 likes this.
RustNeverSleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:44 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,884

Turn that pony wall into a bar.

Move the TV to that big blank wall. Get rid of the 'entertainment' center.

RustNever has some good points.

Love the floor. But that black 'entertainment' center kills the wonderful look.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,880

Add some artwork to the walls. And some curtains. And a floor lamp or two. And that bear skin rug.

I agree that it is too "monotone." The furniture matches the wood flooring too closely. New furn with a pop of color would do wonders for that room.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:48 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 20

Before anything else, that is one spacious living room and I envy you for that. Adding a center/side table would be great, carpet, some wall arts and more lights and you're good to go. I hope this helps and good luck on your project!
mariav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:43 AM   #10

Replacing the furniture is expensive, try slipcovers for pop of color. I would paint the entertainment center as it is very dark. Once you pick your color scheme, I like Green painted wood. (but its all personal choice) everything wil, fall into place. Look at pintrest for examples of coordinating colors! Put your family pictures, art and intrests expressed into the decor!
Cm916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,035

How big is that room? Can you draw up a layout, ( birds eye view)
include your furniture and TV unit.

An area rug is a must. Try pulling that couch away from the wall,
and the two chairs as well, making a grouping further into the room.
You need end tables, lamps and a coffee table.

The TV unit is too dark and cumbersome...Perhaps you could just
use the bottom part. You have a nice big room, give some thought
to adding bookcases on a wall. As I said, a drawing of the layout
will help, to give you more ideas.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 20

Re: What would you do with this living room space? So much potential, but I'm uninspi

I'm curious how the room looks after 2 years
Mike Milam likes this.
lorie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #13
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,904

Re: What would you do with this living room space? So much potential, but I'm uninspi

It's a 2 year old thread and all your posts are of the same painting scheme. Check the dates for current activity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement