What Metal Do I Use For Lighting? - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 56

what metal do I use for lighting?

Remodeling my kitchen--white cabinets with black counter top, black appliances and black knobs. Also, a stainless steel sink and faucet. Light to medium wood floor. Should I keep with the black/white look for a chandelier over my kitchen table or would using a chrome fixture look good? Also, what are your thoughts on a white ceiling fan over the table instead of a chandelier?
spatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,198

Re: what metal do I use for lighting?

Whatever you do hang it above the tallest person's head.

I have lost count of how many Chandeliers / Ceiling fans, or other hanging things that I have hit with my head.

I'm a respectable 6' 3" tall, and think that these things should be at least 7' high.

Black/ White, would go well with the current décor.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2017, 06:20 AM   #3
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

When is height no longer respectable, at 6' 4"?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
When is height no longer respectable, at 6' 4"?
That's not what I meant.

You too know the aggravation of a world built for "shortys"

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 56

Aside from talking about heights of people, any suggestions on what metals would look best on a kitchen chandelier with the information I gave in the above post?
spatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 8,778

Black iron is popular right now, if you hang it lower over the table, use something with a chain so it can be raised with an S hook when the table is out of place.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
spatn (12-11-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 38

Definitely a NO to a ceiling fan over a dining table.
kevk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,294

Quote:
Definitely a NO to a ceiling fan over a dining table.
Other than your personal opinion, do you have any basis for that statement ?

As long as the blade height is a minimum of 7 ft from the floor, there is no reason not to. In fact, having the table under it keeps tall people from banging their head on the light kit which generally hangs lower than the blades.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:24 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
Other than your personal opinion, do you have any basis for that statement ?

As long as the blade height is a minimum of 7 ft from the floor, there is no reason not to. In fact, having the table under it keeps tall people from banging their head on the light kit which generally hangs lower than the blades.
This has nothing to do with height clearance. In general from an interior design standpoint its just awkward to have a ceiling fan over the table where you eat your food. I would not want a breeze cooling down my food.

Last edited by kevk; 12-31-2017 at 02:27 PM.
kevk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevk For This Useful Post:
spatn (12-31-2017)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:53 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 6

From cookware to light fixtures, metal can be found anywhere in your home. We take a look at the five most common metals used in furniture and decorative accents. We also break down five common metal finishes that can influence the way metals look.

1. Aluminum

Similar in appearance to stainless steel, aluminum is lighter and less strong than steel. It can be a low-cost replacement to steel. Aluminum also doesn't rust, though it does oxidize, creating a chalky white residue. Aluminum is often used in outdoor furniture.

2. Brass

A yellowish, gold-like alloy of copper and zinc, brass is commonly found on lighting and fixtures like curtain rods, knobs, and sink faucets. Though brass has an upscale appearance, the maintenance is low. Simply clean with mild soap and water. Solid brass can be expensive, look for plated brass for a budget-friendly price.

3. Copper

Much like bronze, copper is reddish-brown in color and is found on all types of décor like lighting and sinks. Look for copper on high-quality cookware because of its superior heat conductivity. Copper can patina to a greenish-blue over time due to oxidation. To prevent this from occurring (especially if copper is used outdoors), coat with beeswax or carnauba wax and lacquer.

4. Stainless Steel

An alloy of carbon, iron, chromium, and other metals, stainless steel is found in furniture and fixtures throughout the home, from accent tables to kitchen sinks. Because of the chromium it doesn't rust, oxidize, or corrode and is a low maintenance material. It's much stronger than its lookalike aluminum.

5. Wrought Iron

Wrought iron refers to metal that has been hammered or bent into shape, as opposed to being cast or poured. Therefore, it has a roughed up surface. Wrought iron is commonly used to make fireplace accessories, pot racks, rustic beds, lighting, and more.

5 Common Metal Finishes

1. Antiqued

This finish makes the metals appear to have stood the test of time, often by darkening or tarnishing it.

2. Brushed

A matte finish looks as if it has been smoothed with a paintbrush, leaving faint brushstroke marks in the metal.

3. Hammered

It's as simple as it sounds. Metal with a hammered finish appears to have been pounded and has many small indents adding texture to the surface.

4. Polished

This finish creates a reflective, mirror-like surface on metals. A polished surface shows smudges and fingerprints more readily than other finishes.

5. Satin

Similar to brushed metals, however this type of finish is smoother and oftentimes without brushstroke marks. The sheen is between matte and polished.
NitinKumud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NitinKumud For This Useful Post:
spatn (01-13-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement