Wallpaper At The Corners - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes

Old 01-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 620

Wallpaper at the corners

I want to put brick wallpaper on one wall. When I get to the corners should just cut it off and leave it like that? Maybe some kind of molding in the corners would be better? The room has floor and crown molding.
puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,116

Re: Wallpaper at the corners

Inside corners?

Either way is acceptable, it all depends on your preference, and if you get a perfect straight cut, the molding hides any bad cuts better.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2018, 05:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 86

mark sr likes this.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 01-13-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,772

Is it actually "wallpaper" or brick relief? If wallpaper, you just cut one sheet 1/2" longer, apply it to the wall and overlap it to the adjacent wall. Your next sheet will be full and will overlap the one in the corner.

Wallpaper is so passe, though, it is difficult to find people that really know how to do it. That is why I asked if it was relief brick or not.
joecaption likes this.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Is it actually "wallpaper" or brick relief? If wallpaper, you just cut one sheet 1/2" longer, apply it to the wall and overlap it to the adjacent wall. Your next sheet will be full and will overlap the one in the corner.

Wallpaper is so passe, though, it is difficult to find people that really know how to do it. That is why I asked if it was relief brick or not.
My wife is the painter and wall paper girl at this DIY house and that's exactly how she does wall paper. When we built the house a few decades ago a painter / paper hanger showed her that technique.

She is very good at both and I keep telling her that so I'll never have to do it. My job is to set up the paste table, clean brushes and take out the trash.
chandler48 likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #6

What is Brick Relief?
Gymschu likes this.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:51 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post

Yours and apparently Joes opinion, certainly not mine
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:52 AM   #8
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,772

Quote:
What is Brick Relief?
Is the wallpaper flat or do the brick designs stick out like brick would?

Yep, opinions are like bellybuttons, but I can't remember the last time I saw someone wallpaper a room.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:41 AM   #9
retired painter

Rewards Points: 224

I think the biggest reason many of us don't care for wallpaper is because we've had to strip it off of unprepared or poorly prepared walls. Removing wallpaper in small pieces tearing up the drywall underneath takes away a lot of the allure for wallpaper.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:31 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 86

I was fairly neutral about wall paper until every home we bought and renovated ..where we removed it. Yep, no sizing was used under the paper, and I always had to skim coat mud repairs from the damage of the "peeling away" of the drywall's paper coat...

I REALLY got to hate WP... when the place I retired from did a $10 million dollar renovation and was going to have $50K of wallpaper installed. Some of it custom ordered from Europe.

Even with my most stringent pleas to the architect and wall paper contractor to order enough WP to at least, leave me just ONE bolt of WP of the 30 varieties of WP used in the building... for future repairs.

Nope, did not happen. I just had pieces of rolls of WP left behind. Imagine a commercial building and the abuse the wallpaper gets in it. What a mess to maintain. And few things in a building catch people's eye faster, than damaged WP.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 01-14-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:55 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,124

More and more wallpapers are designed to be be far easier to remove than traditionals. But yes, if the wall wasnt primed properly, its a nightmare. And yes, its making a comeback, but mostly just accent walls here and there.
woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 336

Inside corners differ greatly from outside corners when doing wallpaper. As Chandler stated, when you get to an INSIDE corner you leave a 1/2" overlap onto the next wall. Why? Because walls are not square and if you just stopped in the corner and started a new sheet on the next wall there would be parts of that inside corner that would show and stand out like a sore thumb. I always use a bit of vinyl on vinyl adhesive in my corners to make sure that overlap doesn't come loose.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Nice idea!
AmyFuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
when you get to an INSIDE corner you leave a 1/2" overlap onto the next wall. Why? Because walls are not square and if you just stopped in the corner and started a new sheet on the next wall there would be parts of that inside corner that would show and stand out like a sore thumb. I always use a bit of vinyl on vinyl adhesive in my corners to make sure that overlap doesn't come loose.
There is no adjacent wall to be wallpapered, just the one accent wall. So I should just cut it as straight as I can, no molding needed?

While on the subject, I ordered a series of paper maps (4 maps, each about 2x2'), with a plan to stick them like wallpaper to an adjacent wall in the same room. What would be a good way to do that? Right now the wall is just flattish paint.

OP
Old 01-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 3,124

Cut down the corner straight. I like to use a dryall knife or my skinny smoother as a straight edge, holding my blade on the outside of it rather than the inside. As a novice, just run your knife down whatever straightedge youre using (quickly, as it cuts better if you move fast), stop, but keep your blade in where its at, move the straightedge, till you get to the bottom. The very bottom can be tricky, and it might be easier for you to use scissors to snip the very bottom.

As far as your maps, if they are not real wallpaper, then I strongly suggest using a nonwoven bridging liner where they are going to go, or possibly even paste them to the liner before hanging them on the wall. With the nonwoven, you can paste the wall, and stick it right up. The area should be primed, but it might be a PITA to do that.
woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement