Unfinished/finished Basement / Tips Please/ Decorating - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree11Likes

Old 02-09-2020, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 324

unfinished/finished basement / tips please/ decorating

So unfinished/finished basement LOL,
it is part open concept DJ party/room
enclosed HVAC/Furnace room
Enclosed understair area with sump pump
enclosed shower/toilet
enclosed laundry area.

When I say unfinished/finished, the contractor fuqd my wife over, so he got thrown out and in process of being sued, so, I am finishing, the trim, painting etc, also the baseboards and the door surrounds.

All the drywall, is mad/taped and primed (one coat)

I am tackling the ceiling first and wanna get some tips

1> DJ/PARTY room area: there is a hole in the ceiling where the hvac pipe comes out, for a vent/register? Can I just put an ordinary open/close register in it or does it need to be an open only vent ? As for the paint both on the ceiling and walls, just ordinary ceiling paint, if I put texture/acoustic paint will it help in the dynamics of the room, is there anything I should do to the walls and ceiling, or is it not worth it

2> Washroom: Ordinary ceiling paint, or do I need something specific for kitchen bathrooms

3> Laundry Area: Ordinary ceiling paint, or do I need something specific for kitchen bathrooms

txs all,
ajaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2020, 09:08 PM   #2

Re: unfinished/finished basement / tips please/ decorating

Attached Thumbnails
unfinished/finished basement / tips please/ decorating-p1010131.jpg   unfinished/finished basement / tips please/ decorating-p1010137.jpg  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 06:19 AM   #3

no-one ?
BTTT
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 06:28 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 9,034

I just used a quality water based paint for the bathroom

There are white plastic and metal registers for the ceiling.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SPEEDI-G...-CW3/202542206
ajaye likes this.
ajaye (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 06:48 AM   #5

txs man, appreciate the quick response,
I was kinda wondering also, is there any regs on ceiling vents in basements, needing to be permantly open ? you know for condensation, wondering why they are in the ceiling and not at floor or wall level,

but txs ! also on the pain advice
Old 02-14-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaye View Post
txs man, appreciate the quick response,
I was kinda wondering also, is there any regs on ceiling vents in basements, needing to be permantly open ? you know for condensation, wondering why they are in the ceiling and not at floor or wall level,

but txs ! also on the pain advice
Usually there are over the windows and getting them to the floor would add a lot of work to the framing of the walls.

I don't think there are any rules about them being open. But house air is moist with water in it if you allow the basement to be colder with out circulation you are taking chances with condensation and then the mold that follows that.
ajaye likes this.
ajaye (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #7

ahh ok, that makes sense !
txs again much appreciated dude !
Nealtw likes this.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 8,674

Hi aj, sorry for not replying. to be honest, trying to help a half finished basement means not being able to correct steps that were done at the start. No one is going to tear out everything and start over so it just become cross your fingers and hope. Many threads here anout this living space built in a hole in the ground and the resulting problems.

Neal is good so I'll let him help you plus he is from Canada if codes are in question.

Wish you the best.

Bud
ajaye likes this.
ajaye (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #9

no txs, Bud, I totally understand, but appreciate the feedback and the pointers, def helped

cheers again !
Old 02-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 8,674

Do you know what is under that drywall? Canada often requites a vapor barrier plus some minimum amount of insulation. as you finish it off air sealing to prevent basement air from reaching a cold foundation is important.

Bud
Old 02-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #11

oh yes, I have full photo's at all different stages,
vapor (like a PVC) barrier and a pink foam like thing in between the framing/studs

they left massive gaps between the wall and the framing, some where at least 6" from the wall, gave some excuse about walls not being true, cut down what should have been a bigger living space, I was really pissed,

mainly wife's fault, she didn't do her "due-dil" and I couldn't get a word in edgeways when I raised concerns, also for a lot of plumbing and electrics, he didn't pull any permits, managed to get the permits sorted out.

Had another guy come in to finish off the plumbing and another to fix the electrics, what should have been a great investment and living space, really has been marred, the dj dance area, is horrendous waste of space, only solution is a strip down, but, that's not gonna be worth it.

well, what can you do, if people don't listen, just living with the "damage" and making the best of it

but txs !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Do you know what is under that drywall? Canada often requites a vapor barrier plus some minimum amount of insulation. as you finish it off air sealing to prevent basement air from reaching a cold foundation is important.

Bud
Old 02-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,560

Up north they put in insulation to protect the permafrost from melting - that'll mess up your house foundation pretty bad. It's not really code where I am in Alaska, but most folks here insulate basement walls regardless of if they're finished or not.

As to the OT, and the DJ area, you should get the space buttoned up THEN check your acoustics. Like for example if you've got echo issues then you need to increase the "soft surfaces" like carpet or foam boards on the ceiling and walls. If you've got bad acoustics in general then you'll want to put baffles (basically hollow columns sheathed with foam) in places to improve that. If you want more bass boom (vibration in the floor) then do a raised floor and put your subs directly on it - etc. etc. There's a lot of little tweaks to do - unfortunately I'm into classical, jazz, and vocal so the stuff I do for acoustics (basically dead soft pure sound quality) isn't really "club style" which is more ... idk pounding I suppose.
ajaye likes this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystriss For This Useful Post:
ajaye (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #13
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaye View Post
oh yes, I have full photo's at all different stages,
vapor (like a PVC) barrier and a pink foam like thing in between the framing/studs

they left massive gaps between the wall and the framing, some where at least 6" from the wall, gave some excuse about walls not being true, cut down what should have been a bigger living space, I was really pissed,

mainly wife's fault, she didn't do her "due-dil" and I couldn't get a word in edgeways when I raised concerns, also for a lot of plumbing and electrics, he didn't pull any permits, managed to get the permits sorted out.

Had another guy come in to finish off the plumbing and another to fix the electrics, what should have been a great investment and living space, really has been marred, the dj dance area, is horrendous waste of space, only solution is a strip down, but, that's not gonna be worth it.

well, what can you do, if people don't listen, just living with the "damage" and making the best of it

but txs !
Have you pictures of the framing where they left 6" behind the wall.

Did they leave hot and cold water lines behind that wall?
ajaye likes this.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #14

txs for that man, thinking about it, the framing in the DJ area in some places is like 6" from the actual wall, so thoes are gonna vibrate I think, but yeah carpet on some of the ceiling places would help, actually I know exactle the place, I'll try and get some pics and post of some of the various stages and especially the DJ area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
As to the OT, and the DJ area, you should get the space buttoned up THEN check your acoustics. Like for example if you've got echo issues then you need to increase the "soft surfaces" like carpet or foam boards on the ceiling and walls. If you've got bad acoustics in general then you'll want to put baffles (basically hollow columns sheathed with foam) in places to improve that. If you want more bass boom (vibration in the floor) then do a raised floor and put your subs directly on it - etc. etc. There's a lot of little tweaks to do - unfortunately I'm into classical, jazz, and vocal so the stuff I do for acoustics (basically dead soft pure sound quality) isn't really "club style" which is more ... idk pounding I suppose.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #15

yes I should have, if I remember right, the lines are pex and run over the ceiling voids, there would be of course a couple of runs going into the laudry room and separate washroom/shower and hence behind the walls

not sure if thoes walls had a lot of space I would probably the worst space was 6" going down to 2" or 3 "

the worst offender was DJ area, but no pipes being the walls,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Have you pictures of the framing where they left 6" behind the wall.

Did they leave hot and cold water lines behind that wall?

Last edited by ajaye; 02-14-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement