Repainting Furniture - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Question

Repainting furniture

Not sure if this is where to put this but here goes: Approximately 18 years ago repainted a white bedroom dresser from the 1970s and a wood/formica end table from the 1960s. The dresser top and drawer fronts also had that shiny Formica finish with gold trim. I primed them first, then painted them a light Dusty pink and stenciled Ivory roses with sage green leaves & vines. Finished it off (just the tops?) with a satin finish/sealer.

FFW to today: now want to re-do spare bedroom in a beach/lakeside cottage theme. Would like to repurpose these furniture pieces and want them to be off-white with that distressed, crackle/"peeling paint"/weathered look. I've priced replacing them and would prefer to just refinish these! I've Googled steps to do this but nothing talks about if I would have to strip off all the pink paint, primer and finish. Would hate to get started and then realize I should have sanded or stripped before refinishing.

Any suggestions?
Ollie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 10

Re: Repainting furniture

I can't imagine why you couldn't just do a light sanding and paint.

Two concerns though. If the stencil paint is thick enough to feel I would sand it smooth. And if you are going to physically distress it (sand the edges for instance) will you be OK with the old colors peeking through?
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie911 View Post
Not sure if this is where to put this but here goes: Approximately 18 years ago repainted a white bedroom dresser from the 1970s and a wood/formica end table from the 1960s. The dresser top and drawer fronts also had that shiny Formica finish with gold trim. I primed them first, then painted them a light Dusty pink and stenciled Ivory roses with sage green leaves & vines. Finished it off (just the tops?) with a satin finish/sealer.
Dusty pink and sage go perfectly. Good job.

Quote:
FFW to today: now want to re-do spare bedroom in a beach/lakeside cottage theme. Would like to repurpose these furniture pieces and want them to be off-white with that distressed, crackle/"peeling paint"/weathered look. I've priced replacing them and would prefer to just refinish these! I've Googled steps to do this but nothing talks about if I would have to strip off all the pink paint, primer and finish. Would hate to get started and then realize I should have sanded or stripped before refinishing.

Any suggestions?
You need crackle paint. The directions will make it clear. If you sand, you have to repaint before you crackle. That's what crackling does -it crackles the paint underneath. If you have no paint underneath, if you've sanded everything, there won't be anything to crackle. If you don't want the pink paint to show, sand it and repaint it.

Hope this makes sense.
doortrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 16

It is best to grind furniture and repaint. Or you can use a sticky tape for furniture, there are many colors and prints.
Kambeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 12,228

Advertisement

Tags
antique furniture , crackling , furniture decor , refinish