Rec Room Bar Ideas - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes

Old 05-17-2020, 09:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Rec room Bar ideas

Thoughts on the current setup and any recommendations to change it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4rpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2

Re: Rec room Bar ideas

I find it very pretty, very good job!
avensis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,982

It ain't broke. Don't fix it.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 09:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,740

hmm depends how deep you wanna get into the pocket $$

My thoughts:

I'm not much a fan of the thick vertical boarding, it looks weird to me... Horizontal lines are more pleasing... or more 'interior' if that makes sense. What you've got now is... too polished to be "rustic" looking, but too rustic to be "polished" It's somewhere in between.

At a minimum, for the cheap, on the columns, back and side of the bar, I'd add some thin trim boards to break up the wider "flooring" planks, something like this:

Rec room Bar ideas-img_3651.jpg

OR I'd add some corbels like this:

Rec room Bar ideas-7463.490123.jpg

For a bit more work/money, I'd cut down the planks narrower and install them in simple angled patterns like so:

Rec room Bar ideas-pallet-bar.jpg

OR with some scrap backer wood, and maybe some additional different colored planks, do more of what I'd call a "stone wall" look like this:

Rec room Bar ideas-c026dee1cdeabf82f71e3fdc439942c0.jpg

If I wanted to spend the cash, I'd scrap all the existing flooring/siding whatever and do something far more polished like raised panels, or even something fancy like this:

Rec room Bar ideas-photo-2.jpg

---

With any of the above, I'd redo that bottom trim. It looks like they used the existing contractor grade baseboard, but there wasn't quite enough for the length, so they butted it to the corner board trim (which is wood L channel used to cover the unfinished ends of the flooring/planks from the looks of it.)

I'd want something more substantial at the base to "secure it to the floor" visually, the 3 whatever inch tall base looks like it's barely holding it down (... my brain sees things odd sorry) I'd want that base to be at least 4" tall, if not 5+. I think, if you wanna cut costs/do bare minimum, you could do a simple flat base molding that'd sit as proud as your corner trim bits - what is that 1/2" or 1/4" maybe (hopefully? would make it lots easier to find common thickness'ed wood to fit right in) Then just lightly round over the top outside edge with some sand paper, and maybe give it a different color, a darker "heavier" walnut/mahogany/cherry, would look good IMO.

You could combine above with my first idea, and paint the trim bits breaking up the width of the planks with the darker color stain. That'd be pretty striking, and I think you could get away with about half the horizontal trim's shown in that example pic. Restain the countertops edge pieces dark to really make it pop.

---

The counter top edges should be flush to the top surface. Seems to me that either they were planning to put in a thick liquid bar top, or they used the same wood L trim to "wrap" the counter top edges. Either pull that trim off and cut it so it'll be flush to the top of the countertop, OR get some bar top (two part epoxy resin) and fill it until it's flush with the trim surface (run a bead of silicone around the entire inside top surface of the bar top before adding the resin.) ** FYI resin can be colored and fiddled with to do absolutely amazing looks, so frankly, if you're gonna go that route, I highly recommend searching YouTube for "resin table top" or "resin pours" and skip the wood flooring faux bartop look entirely.

---

Not a fan of the "office" ceiling tiles. I'd upgrade to architectural foam or tin ones.

Also ditch the can lights, put in flat LED panels with the new ceiling tiles.

Maybe throw some extreme cove crown on the weird ceiling edges (See - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Alexandr...096C/206876640 OR https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ekena-Mi...06BR/202607643 OR https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ekena-Mi...03TR/202607675)

Personally, for a bit more money, and if I didn't need access to whatever is above it, I'd coffer that entire ceiling out flush with the rest of the rooms ceiling. You could do a cool look and really highlight a fancy new light in there too, something along the lines of what this person is doing:

4rpr likes this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)

Last edited by Mystriss; 05-19-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 12,974

The stools are to close together 6 ft.
3onthetree and Old Thomas like this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,360

If you are in quarantine you need more booze.
Nealtw likes this.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:42 AM   #7
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,982

We built this one for a client. The large top is exactly the size of a group of drink placemats (whatever you call them). He plans to lay them in and pour clear poly over them. The bar side is the size of those glass cushions where they are inverted to dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Rec room Bar ideas-20191001_134400.jpg  
Old 05-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
hmm depends how deep you wanna get into the pocket $$

My thoughts:

I'm not much a fan of the thick vertical boarding, it looks weird to me... Horizontal lines are more pleasing... or more 'interior' if that makes sense. What you've got now is... too polished to be "rustic" looking, but too rustic to be "polished" It's somewhere in between.

At a minimum, for the cheap, on the columns, back and side of the bar, I'd add some thin trim boards to break up the wider "flooring" planks, something like this:

Attachment 599561

OR I'd add some corbels like this:

Attachment 599563

For a bit more work/money, I'd cut down the planks narrower and install them in simple angled patterns like so:

Attachment 599565

OR with some scrap backer wood, and maybe some additional different colored planks, do more of what I'd call a "stone wall" look like this:

Attachment 599567

If I wanted to spend the cash, I'd scrap all the existing flooring/siding whatever and do something far more polished like raised panels, or even something fancy like this:

Attachment 599569

---

With any of the above, I'd redo that bottom trim. It looks like they used the existing contractor grade baseboard, but there wasn't quite enough for the length, so they butted it to the corner board trim (which is wood L channel used to cover the unfinished ends of the flooring/planks from the looks of it.)

I'd want something more substantial at the base to "secure it to the floor" visually, the 3 whatever inch tall base looks like it's barely holding it down (... my brain sees things odd sorry) I'd want that base to be at least 4" tall, if not 5+. I think, if you wanna cut costs/do bare minimum, you could do a simple flat base molding that'd sit as proud as your corner trim bits - what is that 1/2" or 1/4" maybe (hopefully? would make it lots easier to find common thickness'ed wood to fit right in) Then just lightly round over the top outside edge with some sand paper, and maybe give it a different color, a darker "heavier" walnut/mahogany/cherry, would look good IMO.

You could combine above with my first idea, and paint the trim bits breaking up the width of the planks with the darker color stain. That'd be pretty striking, and I think you could get away with about half the horizontal trim's shown in that example pic. Restain the countertops edge pieces dark to really make it pop.

---

The counter top edges should be flush to the top surface. Seems to me that either they were planning to put in a thick liquid bar top, or they used the same wood L trim to "wrap" the counter top edges. Either pull that trim off and cut it so it'll be flush to the top of the countertop, OR get some bar top (two part epoxy resin) and fill it until it's flush with the trim surface (run a bead of silicone around the entire inside top surface of the bar top before adding the resin.) ** FYI resin can be colored and fiddled with to do absolutely amazing looks, so frankly, if you're gonna go that route, I highly recommend searching YouTube for "resin table top" or "resin pours" and skip the wood flooring faux bartop look entirely.

---

Not a fan of the "office" ceiling tiles. I'd upgrade to architectural foam or tin ones.

Also ditch the can lights, put in flat LED panels with the new ceiling tiles.

Maybe throw some extreme cove crown on the weird ceiling edges (See - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Alexandr...096C/206876640 OR https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ekena-Mi...06BR/202607643 OR https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ekena-Mi...03TR/202607675)

Personally, for a bit more money, and if I didn't need access to whatever is above it, I'd coffer that entire ceiling out flush with the rest of the rooms ceiling. You could do a cool look and really highlight a fancy new light in there too, something along the lines of what this person is doing:

Thanks! A lot of things to think about here.

Bar front
What about those stick on plank kits that look real? I could place these horizontally and make the bar front gray possibly for a bit of contrast? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Timberwall-...Kit/1000379495

I do really prefer the rustic wood look though.

Ceiling tiles
I have a mega amount of ceiling tiles so replacing all of them means big bucks. I need to find an economical way to make it look better, but not spend a fortune. Also, is it better to go with tiles that show water leaks or waterproof tiles? I ask because if there was a water leak from upstairs we wouldn’t know otherwise.

Bar trim/countertops
This is my current pain point.
I could take a close up if needed. I’d love to do something here, but the previous homeowners basically used Pergo laminate flooring for the counters and cheap polyurethane trim around the bar.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,828

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rpr View Post
the previous homeowners basically used Pergo laminate flooring for the counters
Thought that's what it was, hassle with spills against the edge trim. All the faces look to be cheap 4x8 paneling.

Paint is always the cheapest fix. Just changing the color of the walls would offset the lighter wood and fit a more rustic or 'masculine' look.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
Thought that's what it was, hassle with spills against the edge trim. All the faces look to be cheap 4x8 paneling.

Paint is always the cheapest fix. Just changing the color of the walls would offset the lighter wood and fit a more rustic or 'masculine' look.

Stain paint? What color and type? So that’s better than stick on planks I mentioned?

I literally hate the countertop trim, but have no idea what to replace it with.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:37 PM   #11
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,828

Hard to guess how far for you to take it when "economical" means different things to different people.

Quote:
Stain paint? What color and type? So that’s better than stick on planks I mentioned?
I was talking about painting the walls around the bar, dark green and maroon seem popular. But you could paint the paneling. If you want rustic wood look, I don't know if you can stain it, it looks like cheap old laminated paneling (not hardwood veneer), but I think you could stain it in a method similar to a fiberglass door, paint guys could help with that.

They sell corrugated metal panels 3' high just for this. $7 a pop and I saw a 'rusted' version.

Also there are many versions of 4x8 panels, vinyl embossed like copper, horizontal wood-look like shiplap, that might update it a little more but be cheap.

Quote:
I literally hate the countertop trim, but have no idea what to replace it with.
Don't know if you have an option there. It looks like just the Pergo glued on top of maybe 1/2" ply, looks real thin. Maybe encase it all as an economical way, with what I'm not sure - sanded ply/mitered edges, a thin metal wrap? They do make vinyl covers that look like metal, or just get a sheet of laminate. You'd have to probably mill the edging to fit the Pergo T&G if they left it there.
4rpr likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Hard to guess how far for you to take it when "economical" means different things to different people.

I was talking about painting the walls around the bar, dark green and maroon seem popular. But you could paint the paneling. If you want rustic wood look, I don't know if you can stain it, it looks like cheap old laminated paneling (not hardwood veneer), but I think you could stain it in a method similar to a fiberglass door, paint guys could help with that.

They sell corrugated metal panels 3' high just for this. $7 a pop and I saw a 'rusted' version.

Also there are many versions of 4x8 panels, vinyl embossed like copper, horizontal wood-look like shiplap, that might update it a little more but be cheap.

Don't know if you have an option there. It looks like just the Pergo glued on top of maybe 1/2" ply, looks real thin. Maybe encase it all as an economical way, with what I'm not sure - sanded ply/mitered edges, a thin metal wrap? They do make vinyl covers that look like metal, or just get a sheet of laminate. You'd have to probably mill the edging to fit the Pergo T&G if they left it there.

Do you need close ups pics? I could do that. Let me know which close-ups you’d like.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:18 PM   #13

Rec room Bar ideas

Quote:

Do you means these should replace the can lights? Easy to replace or need an electrician? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Metalux-...22SP/305016659

And can you link where I could find the corrugated metal panels or the 4x8 panels? Possibly locally at a big box store or?

Flooring
What are your thoughts about the bar flooring?

Last edited by 4rpr; 05-20-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 6,740

Quote:
Thanks! A lot of things to think about here.

Bar front
What about those stick on plank kits that look real? I could place these horizontally and make the bar front gray possibly for a bit of contrast? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Timberwall-...Kit/1000379495

I do really prefer the rustic wood look though.

Ceiling tiles
I have a mega amount of ceiling tiles so replacing all of them means big bucks. I need to find an economical way to make it look better, but not spend a fortune. Also, is it better to go with tiles that show water leaks or waterproof tiles? I ask because if there was a water leak from upstairs we wouldn’t know otherwise.

Bar trim/countertops
This is my current pain point.
I could take a close up if needed. I’d love to do something here, but the previous homeowners basically used Pergo laminate flooring for the counters and cheap polyurethane trim around the bar.

Bar Front
Ooo I like that grey wood much, much more than the light knotty pine for sure, has a lot more "weight" to it as well - which I'm preferential to on cabinetry. You could do a smooth application like the Lowes pics, but I'd put backers/slanted backers on the planks before installing to get more of that "uneven wood" look like in the one pic I posted before. That extra "depth" is interesting.

Ceiling Tiles
Gotcha, paint and stencils to the rescue:

If you want to get a bit more $$ into it, I bet you could craft a simple wood grid and secure it to the acoustic tile tracks using magnets. Something along these lines:

Bar Trim
If you redo the bar front in the grey planks, I think you can go trim free on the entire bar face (if I read the product page right anyway, the ends of each plank are "finished" rather than particle board, right?)

Bar Top
Yeah... I mean honestly, the pergo tile thing just doesn't look real at all...

Maybe something like these resurfacing kits, there's more colors if you click the category header link above the product pictures there on Lowes, I just picked the black for the grey planks, white would probs look great also - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Giani-Count...-oz/1000116497

Then on the counter top trim/edging, I'd flush up the trim that's there, or buy some 1x1/2 or whatever thickness measurement wood strips, add wood filler in all the gaps between countertop and trim, sand it so its smooth, then paint the resurface stuff over the entire top and edges.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)

Last edited by Mystriss; 05-21-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
Bar Front
Ooo I like that grey wood much, much more than the light knotty pine for sure, has a lot more "weight" to it as well - which I'm preferential to on cabinetry. You could do a smooth application like the Lowes pics, but I'd put backers/slanted backers on the planks before installing to get more of that "uneven wood" look like in the one pic I posted before. That extra "depth" is interesting.

Ceiling Tiles
Gotcha, paint and stencils to the rescue:

If you want to get a bit more $$ into it, I bet you could craft a simple wood grid and secure it to the acoustic tile tracks using magnets. Something along these lines:

Bar Trim
If you redo the bar front in the grey planks, I think you can go trim free on the entire bar face (if I read the product page right anyway, the ends of each plank are "finished" rather than particle board, right?)

Bar Top
Yeah... I mean honestly, the pergo tile thing just doesn't look real at all...

Maybe something like these resurfacing kits, there's more colors if you click the category header link above the product pictures there on Lowes, I just picked the black for the grey planks, white would probs look great also - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Giani-Count...-oz/1000116497

Then on the counter top trim/edging, I'd flush up the trim that's there, or buy some 1x1/2 or whatever thickness measurement wood strips, add wood filler in all the gaps between countertop and trim, sand it so its smooth, then paint the resurface stuff over the entire top and edges.

Ok that these are peel and stick? Edge profile is squared.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement