Pine Paneling - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
wmv

Rewards Points: 12

Pine paneling

Any suggestions as to what to do with ponderosa pine paneling. I have a house that was built in 1959 and has pine paneling,random width, in the LR,DR and kitchen. It was great in the 60's but after years of sunshine on it the color has darkened (as usual) and I am ready to update it some way. I have seen it painted but I am not a fan of that. I was wondering about covering it with 1/4" drywall and painting it or maybe drywall up four feet in the DR or just drywall one wall for an accent color. The DR/LR is one large open room and the kitchen is off to itself. It has the old celotex ceiling in it but I covered that up with drywall and it made a big difference in the "dungeon" effect, the room is much lighter now. I would not mind removing the old varnish and putting a lighter color on it but I don't have a clue what it would take for that. Might be cheaper just to replace it than go to the expense of removing varnish that is roughly 60 years old. I wouldn't put pine paneling back if I removed it though.
Maybe someone has "been there and done that" and would like to offer some suggestions.
Looking forward to making a change someway.
wmv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wmv For This Useful Post:
abrowning (01-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 44

Re: Pine paneling

I'm curious about the responses you will get. I have random width knotty pine paneling in my finished basement that dates to the early sixties. When we moved in the wife wanted to paint it because the room was fairly dark (floor was dark too) but I dug in my heels and said no.

I put in a fresh off white ceiling and doubled the amount of lighting (two sets of recessed floods on dimmers) in the room making sure that every corner was well lit. I also put in a large light colored area rug. Did wonders for the overall brightness in the room.

I love that paneling. It's basically no maintenance, will last another 50 years, and it has that lovely honey colored glow when the light hits it. To me it's perfect.
abrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 48

Depending on room use I would cover it with cork. You can use a thin layer of 1/8" thick cork that you can get with adhesive backing. I've used it in to accent our window coverings and in the right location it works great. With the wood paneling behind it, it could also be a nice opportunity to hold push pin postings.

Brad

Last edited by kwikfishron; 02-23-2017 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Removed Link
infinitiwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 7,930

It would be labor intensive, but have you considered removing, running it thru a planner and then re-installing?
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,528

Got a picture m?

I covered my pine T&G with 1/4 drywall... happy with it... we kept the T&G ceiling..
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 18,470

Sanding and going with a lighter stain is just not going to happen, you would have to remove all the old sealer and stain until you got to bare wood.
Removing it and planning would just gum up and destroy the blades, been there done that.
If you clean, bonding primer and paint you will find the paints going to crack at the seams as the wood expands and contracts.
I also have gone the 1/4 drywall route a few times and found it to be the best way.
Really changed the whole look of the room.
Just add box extenders to outlets and switches, if you leave the sheetrock about 1-1/2" back from the window and door openings the old trim will work and fit tight to the jambs, just fill the tiny gap on the outside with latex caulking.
Window stools can be under cut with a back back saw using a scrap piece of sheetrock as a guide.
I always use drywall adhesive so there's far less screws needed, I use a bead around the outside about 2" in so none squeezes out the seam and a few wavey lines in the middle.
Once the panel hits the wall I screw the left hand seam then roll over the wall with a hand floor roller to press out the glue, then add the rest of the screws.
Should only need screws at the seams and a row in the middle.
Whenever possible have your seams fall over the middle of any door or window openings.
Advertisement