How Do You Organize Your Garage? - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Windows on Wash
  • 1 Post By Calson
  • 2 Post By ZZZZZ
  • 1 Post By Nik333
  • 2 Post By ZZZZZ

Old 03-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

How do you organize your garage?

Hello Everyone,

I don't know if this is the right thread to discuss on garage makeover. Please send me to correct thread. Thanks!

In this time of coronavirus crisis and working from home I finally decided to do some garage makeover or cleaning the mess scattered all over the floor. So, wanted to ask you guys, if any of you cleaned your garage and if yes please share to care the images of before and after?

Thanks.
kevinthomppsonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 9,718

Re: How do you organize your garage?

I usually go with the stack on top of other stuff method.
MTN REMODEL LLC and ZZZZZ like this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,364

I added cabinets and pegboard. The large tools go on the pegboard and everything else goes into cabinets. Or put up gorrilla industrial metal shelving and put everything in plastic bins or cardboard boxes. Home Depot sells Husky metal cabinets for the garage and I bought a 6 foot by 3 foot one and it works very well where there would be too much weight for a wall mounted cabinet.

I have also made use of metal file cabinets and two of them are mounted on trollies so I can get to anything behind them. I have searched on Craigslist for used office equipment and found top quality metal cabinets. With their drawers on ball rollers it is easy to get to anything inside them.
kevinthomppsonn likes this.
kevinthomppsonn (03-19-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
I usually go with the stack on top of other stuff method.
Yeah, that's good mate! But have you ever considered of keeping storage cabinets or wall-mounted cabinets to keep all the tools and accessories inside them? Do you have any storage cabinets currently?
Old 03-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calson View Post
I added cabinets and pegboard. The large tools go on the pegboard and everything else goes into cabinets. Or put up gorrilla industrial metal shelving and put everything in plastic bins or cardboard boxes. Home Depot sells Husky metal cabinets for the garage and I bought a 6 foot by 3 foot one and it works very well where there would be too much weight for a wall mounted cabinet.

I have also made use of metal file cabinets and two of them are mounted on trollies so I can get to anything behind them. I have searched on Craigslist for used office equipment and found top quality metal cabinets. With their drawers on ball rollers it is easy to get to anything inside them.
So you ordered the cabinets from Home Depot?
Old 03-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 8

I live in California so space is at a premium. In my garage, I added two big hanging racks that can store boxes. This freed up a ton of space on the ground. I love the racks because there is a ton of dead space in our garage. It took me probably 3-4 hours to install each one on my own.

Not sure if I am allowed to post links but here is what I bought: Overhead rack
boss4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,816

Organized garage? That's an oxymoron.
MTN REMODEL LLC and That Guy like this.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,754

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZ View Post
Organized garage? That's an oxymoron.

I remember way back, that you showed a photo and it looked just like ddawg's disorganized garage.Now, where is that?
ZZZZZ likes this.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
I remember way back, that you showed a photo and it looked just like ddawg's disorganized garage.Now, where is that?
That must have been 3 or 4 years ago.

It's even worse now, in the middle of painting the house and tiling the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you organize your garage?-garage-032020.jpg  
Nik333 and That Guy like this.

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 03-20-2020 at 05:00 PM.
ZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:59 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,754

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthomppsonn View Post
Yeah, that's good mate! But have you ever considered of keeping storage cabinets or wall-mounted cabinets to keep all the tools and accessories inside them? Do you have any storage cabinets currently?

Nice thread, but, fyi, if you're looking to advertise your products, it will be taken off.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,906

You can often get commercial grade cabinets and racks, cheap from businesses that are going out of business, just walk in and ask to speak with a manager.

I picked up some commercial grade 4 shelve carts (the real nice ones) in chrome, and on wheels for $80/each from a local Sears store. and I got a 3 step, rolling stairs for $50....

As for organization, pinterest is an invaluable resource for ideas.

For me, I downsized my shop when I moved went from 3000SF, to 1650 SF so organization became extremely important... now my attached garage, which is where I store the bulk of my materials for work, is also pretty organized. You will find many 'storgae options' wont fit your individual needs, especially if your heavy into any 'non traditional DIY' stuff. However there are plenty of options out there.

For instance commercial filing cabinets often for sale free/cheap on craigslist - you know the type, like what Doctors offices use? They can support hundreds of pounds per drawer, and the the drawers roll really nice like I have 3. 2 I garbage picked, one I bought for $50. The one I bought, is a 2 drawer model, and has the bulk of my electrical sh!it in it....Just be sure to permanently destroy/disbale the locking mechanism, because if you accidentally lock the cabinet, they are a real PITA to get back into with out destroying the cabinet (dont ask how I know lol)
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #12
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 118

Kitchen type cabinets don't work well in garages. I used several at my last house and was always disappointed. They are just not sized right for garage type stuff. Lots of bench space is essential. I have a 24" deep bench going around 3 sides of my garage. Put the stuff you use the most, closest to where you will use it. All my chargers are near the door, as I frequently charge batteries overnight for use on the job site daily. Stuff that is used less frequently, can be stored up high, with heavier stuff under the benches.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cabinets , garage , organization , storage