Empty Large Cut Out?? - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree20Likes

Old 08-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 208

empty large cut out??

This isn't my home, but it's close to what I have. I'm Looking for ideas on what to do with this large "section" above the front door that's 4' wide 3' deep and 10' tall. Since it has a window I can't put a picture up there. I'm going for the "modern" look so I'm considering a plant or palm maybe, but still open to ideas.

LGHTme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 200

Re: empty large cut out??

I've painted houses where the would set art work or plants [artificial] up there.
LGHTme likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
I've painted houses where the would set art work or plants [artificial] up there.
Thanks I've considered artwork, but not sure exactly what to use outside of paintings that isn't an option. Plants would be good, but I'm worried about having to climb a ladder (that I don't own yet) twice a week to water it or it possible dying because it doesn't get much direct sunlight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,724

Aside from being a dust trap that no one can clean, my daughter puts her Christmas tree in hers. She reaches over the balcony with a long handled duster to clean it. Really a wasted artsy fartsy space.
abrowning and Nik333 like this.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
retired painter

Rewards Points: 200

By artwork I didn't mean pictures/painting but rather sculptures and large what nots.

They do get dusty, when I can I'll paint the flat part with latex enamel to match the walls.
LGHTme likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,295

Some friends of ours had a house like that and the husband put a very large stuffed tiger up there as a joke. It stayed up there for several years . . . You could try that!

I'd probably make it your seasonal showcase. Christmas tree, jack-o-lantern, Easter bunny, etc.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
By artwork I didn't mean pictures/painting but rather sculptures and large what nots.

They do get dusty, when I can I'll paint the flat part with latex enamel to match the walls.
Ahhh Ok I get it now I'll see if I can find something big and "cheap" as the home pretty much used up all of our savings so artwork isn't a priority.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Some friends of ours had a house like that and the husband put a very large stuffed tiger up there as a joke. It stayed up there for several years . . . You could try that!

I'd probably make it your seasonal showcase. Christmas tree, jack-o-lantern, Easter bunny, etc.
hahaha my wife would kill me!! I like the idea of seasonal things, but that would mean more "honey do's" for me so a sculpture that won't need to be touched ever is much more appealing
NickTheGreat likes this.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 44

empty large cut out??

This Yeti sculpture is a keeper. It's 6' tall so it will fill the space and be visible from anywhere in the room. Front lawn too. It's on the Walmart site if you're interested.

Nik333 and LGHTme like this.
abrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,934

Huge glazed pottery, you can get them 5 or 6 feet tall.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrowning View Post
This Yeti sculpture is a keeper. It's 6' tall so it will fill the space and be visible from anywhere in the room. Front lawn too. It's on the Walmart site if you're interested.

I think I would be packing my suit case if the wife came home and saw that above "HER" entrance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post
Huge glazed pottery, you can get them 5 or 6 feet tall.
Hahaha funny you say that as I actually used to make quite a bit of pottery and have the entire top of the kitchen cabinets filled with various pieces. Although the largest piece I made was only a little over 3' I'm leaning toward a sculpture of some type if I can find something that's won't costs me the going Yeti rate.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHTme View Post
Hahaha funny you say that as I actually used to make quite a bit of pottery and have the entire top of the kitchen cabinets filled with various pieces. Although the largest piece I made was only a little over 3' I'm leaning toward a sculpture of some type if I can find something that's won't costs me the going Yeti rate.

LOL. Wives have no sense of humor about that kind thing. At least mine doesn't complain when I put up my crank ghost for Halloween.
abrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHTme View Post
Your house must look like my 90 year old grandmas.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Johnson View Post
Your house must look like my 90 year old grandmas.
hahah hardly….. today’s modern ceramics that I make include kazagama firing that gives things a nice bright orangish color, bright colorful crystalline glazes, and hand painted murals. I even had a piece entered into an exhibit at the American Museum of Ceramic Arts. Nothing like the old brown bowl and plate my grandma owned.
Nik333 likes this.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 422

Don't know if it would match your decor, but a stained glass panel hanging on chains from the ceiling might look nice, especially with the light coming in behind thru the window.
Attached Images

lenaitch, chandler48 and LGHTme like this.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement