Decorating A New House - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

decorating a new house

A quick introduction so you know what I dealing with. I am a caregiving of a brother with down syndrome. Anyway we lost a brother earlier this year and he left a large trust to our brother for his care. His wishes were for us to fix up our house with part of the money in the trust. We live in a old Victorian house but it needs a lot of work to fix up and give that the house only has two bedrooms and a super tiny bath. Plus where we live investing the amount of money the house needs would not be a wise investment considering the return this investment we have to make. So we are considering building a single story Ranch style house since we would not have stairs to climb like our current house does even to get in the house. Plus the new house would have much better insulation and easier to heat and cool.

I was wondering about certain decorating I have. I want to use antique pieces I own now and use my antique frames and prints. What I want to know I looked at new sofa and recliners I was wondering if leather would be a good choice fro these. I am looking at non brand name furniture since the brand names sofas and recliners are so high priced. I found US made pieces at a much lower price. I was wondering if people have used non brand name furniture such as these and what their luck was. I just want to know if I would be wasting money buy a non brand name sofa and recliner and should I use spend the extra money for a brand name. I want the décor to be like a man would have but ladies would feel comfortable in the house.

Also window treatment they have changed so much I don't know what is in style now. I mean there is Roman blinds and other blinds I have no idea what they are. What would work in a Ranch style house with antique pieces and modern pieces. I want something easy to keep clean.

Any hints decorating a new Ranch house would be helpful.
Iowa_Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 06:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,045

Re: decorating a new house

If the living room is the main room you'll be using to watch TV and entertain
company then I suggest that the couch and recliner be the best that you can afford.
Leather would be fine, however make sure it's real leather and not bonded
leather. Bonded leather is very thin leather glued onto fabric and doesn't
hold up well.
Yes, the antiques can fit well with leather. In our Living Room we have a couch
that looks just like leather -- it's actually polished microfiber and our antique
tables and antique rocker look good with it.
Romans or blinds with be suitable on the windows.

In our family room we have a leather recliner couch (both ends recline and
this may be a good choice for two bachelors.) In the same room we have two leather chairs.
All three pieces are not matching...one chair is
white leather, one chair is medium light brown leather and the couch is lighter
brown leather. My point being -- is you don't have to match everything to look
good. Just concentrate on making things blend.

Start with your couch, then the chair(s) You don't have to purchase everything
at the same time, as this could be overwhelming.
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two Knots For This Useful Post:
Iowa_Gent (04-17-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

thank you Two knots for the information I didn't know about bonded leather I will look to be sure what I buy is real leather. If I go with leather. I want to go with medium brown leather since I don't like the dark brown. I am afraid of going too light since that shows dirt to me. Now I might just get a good fabric and see how much scotch guard costs. I know that makes a big different on fabric and makes much easier to keep clean.
Iowa_Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,045

Iowagent, Keep in mind that the couches in the store are under big spotlights,
thus, they look lighter in the store than they'll look at home. I knew this from
past experiences of picking out fabrics for the home, so I took this into
consideration when choosing our sofas.

My light color leather and micro fiber sofas look darker in my home than
they looked in the store (and both sofas are in front of big box Windows)
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two Knots For This Useful Post:
Iowa_Gent (04-17-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 14

I think you need to know about what type of furniture will suit for your home and you mentioned that you want to buy leather sofas and recliners and those are non-branded. I think go the online furniture shopping store they wide range of furniture products in cheaper to higher rates. You can check the price, style, colour and fabric at one click. Search for the best online and find out good sofa maker in your location and ask him/her to fulfill your need. The benefit of choosing sofa maker in your location will help to make your furniture customized according to your need in order to shape, size, colour etc. I hope my answer will help you to get right furniture for your home. 
ShwetaBhatnagar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShwetaBhatnagar For This Useful Post:
Iowa_Gent (04-21-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement