Color Scheme For Living Room - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2015, 05:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

Color scheme for living room

Newbie here... My wife and I just bought a new home and will move in very shortly. We want to redo the room from a color scheme standpoint but, for the most part, will keep furniture in same place as previous owner (in pic) and have decided not to paint walls anytime soon due to having an infant and 20-month old at home. Considering the beige/ light yellow walls and cherry wood laminate floors, what are some ideas for colors for sofa, area rug, drapes, accent pillows, etc.?

My wife really loves the beige Ektorp 3-seat sofa from Ikea but I fear with the walls it will be too much beige/ yellow and then if we did, what would make sense for drapes, rug, accent furniture??
Attached Thumbnails
Color scheme for living room-saint-louis-living-room.jpg  
Dullflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 05:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 22

Just to clarify

Just to clarify the reason we're not re-painting is because of the two kids and also the way the floor is setup is this room is connected to the entrance foyer and has a hallway connecting to the dining room all with the same wall color. It would be hard to create a continual theme without re-painting everything and actually looks much better in person (bad pic).
Dullflip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dullflip For This Useful Post:
Don C. Hayworth (01-10-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
Sippin' Tea

Rewards Points: 110

I'd decorte your room with an off-color blue. Or neutral blue.
Sdyess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Any plans for in-wall speakers? ....Or adding an alarm system?

Going only by the photo, seems like some crown molding, or even some wainscoting would be nice.
Nobr8ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
Sippin' Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobr8ks View Post
Any plans for in-wall speakers? ....Or adding an alarm system?

Going only by the photo, seems like some crown molding, or even some wainscoting would be nice.
or something. It just seems a bit empty.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 58

Brown leather (chesterfield) is a classic and will match the architecture perfectly. Hard to see the actual color of the walls in the pic, but according to my monitor, earth tones would be an easy fix (Olive, maroon, etc.)
Beige isn't bad, but like you said it could look washed out. And beige isn't the most child-friendly color.
I would get some paint swatches and find one that matches your walls, and bring that when you go shopping. And you will have more choices in fabrics than carpet, so you may want to pick the carpet first (beige might be good for that.)
richietile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,247

May I suggest that buying furniture to go with a wall color you plan to change may not be the smartest move.

Buy the furniture you want for the wall color you will have and tie it all together with some inexpensive curtains and pillows. Most shades of yellow and beige play well with most other colors and there 1000's of fabrics out there. And if it does not qualify for a fashion magazine but it does please you then that is okay also.

Advice for a decorator paid by the hour or friend with the eye for it may be the best money you ever spend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colbyt For This Useful Post:
craig11152 (11-25-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

How about an accent wall? A vibrant/extreme color or wallpaper on one wall in the room? leave the other walls a neutral color.
mimoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 107

Don't think the entire open area has to be the same color. Indeed the need to coordinate . My living room is a an ivory white with antique green trim. The dining room which runs off it is white white with one wall a dark blue background wallpaper which can't be seen from the living room . So long as you make the translation point logical you can have some fun
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:47 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 176

I suggest agreeing with whatever your wife has a strong opinion about.

That said, I think it also depends on the colors found in drapes and area rugs, as to whether or not that sofa color will work.
RustNeverSleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #11
Sippin' Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustNeverSleeps View Post
I suggest agreeing with whatever your wife has a strong opinion about.

That said, I think it also depends on the colors found in drapes and area rugs, as to whether or not that sofa color will work.
If you don't have any strong opinions then this is 100% the information you should follow.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 402

Living rooms are the spaces with highest traffic rate and thus, they need to be most elegant and natural. The color choice depends on your taste. In case you want something soft and soothing, you can go for blue and gray combination, or try the latest gray and lavender. But, those who love vibrant tone can switch to red on red library.
fortunerestore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:57 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 14

Hi, I would suggest you to go with a black or dark brown leather sofa as it matches with the yellow wall and the wood floor. I am having a black leather sofa in my home which I have bought 3 months back from Coja Sofa4life and we have painted the walls with dark yellow color. It looks really great and cool
eunicedlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2

I would go with a light blue general room accent with grey/silvery blackout curtains. dark leather couch to go with the dark furniture, light blue pillows and patterned light blue throw on the couch, light blue/patterned silver table runner for coffee table. patterned rug either blue/silvery or both. put some indoor plants in there as well to open up the room a bit. goodluck
AppliePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 20

Wow! You have a beautiful living room already without changing anything. Adding a little color to it, is a good idea since you can't fully renovate the area. I think gray and soft blue would be a good color combination for pillows and other stuffs. I hope that helps. Good luck on your project!
mariav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement