Wood Laminate On Walls - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 12-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Wood laminate on walls

I am planning on installing wood laminate on the walls in a game room. It will have to be nailed and I am thinking of putting liquid nails on the studs also. I bought one box of flooring to try it out. It is a locking floor that is almost 1/2" thick. Has anyone here done this and do you have any suggestions about installation?
keith427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,328

Re: Wood laminate on walls

What are you using as a substrate? Sheetrock, plywood, etc? With random length flooring I can't see where you will be landing your flooring in a reasonable manner. Laminate was not meant to be installed vertically, but it can be done. If it is click lock, then you have a better chance of it staying put than with the cheaper 59 cent laminate.
Memes likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

It is a quicklock type product that is a 1/2" thick. I put up several pieces directly to the studs. It seems to work fine. I had a few end joints in the field (not on studs) and it doesn't have any give so I will be ordering the rest of it this week.
keith427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,172

A wall assembly consists of a rigid air barrier, moisture barrier (paint works), and a thermal barrier all in the same plane and basically in contact, no air gaps. The flooring you want to use is not an air barrier and even if you install plastic behind it that does not meet the air barrier requirements.The plastic will be full of holes and will flex in and out with wind and pressure changes. You need a sealed layer of drywall or other rigid material behind it.

Bud
Old 12-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 1,668

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith427 View Post
I am planning on installing wood laminate on the walls in a game room. It will have to be nailed and I am thinking of putting liquid nails on the studs also. I bought one box of flooring to try it out. It is a locking floor that is almost 1/2" thick. Has anyone here done this and do you have any suggestions about installation?
laminate is not wood. Putting it on a wall, may or may not work. It depends on room conditions, humidity, substrate, etc. Anytime you use a product for something that is not designed for, it is a gamble. Nailing a product that is designed to be loose laid can be a real problem. Expanding and contracting may cause splitting, it may pop loose, all kinds of problems are possible and warranties will be void.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement