Wood Flooring Around An Obstacle? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 489

Wood flooring around an obstacle?

I'm putting down reclaimed flooring in our new house. Nice product; very accurately milled. I have several areas, though, that present a problem. There is a wall that sticks out about 20" from the wall. Here's the trick- trying to get the flooring on both sides of the wall to line up once clear of the projection.

I tackled a similar area in a closet like this: I installed flooring on one side of the wall until I was clear of it. Then I took a long piece as a guide, and fit the pieces for the other side of the wall, just dry laying them in place. When I got to the wall, I nailed down the first piece. Then I disassembled all of the dry laid pieces, and nailed them in place, starting up against that first piece. It came out fairly close- maybe a 1/64" gap. The floor nailer really shoves those pieces into place. Since you have to leave an expansion gap, the starter strip needs to be really secure in the exact right spot for the two sides to come out even.

Am I missing something, or is this situation just a pain? You can't really install flooring backwards, although I guess you could in a small, inconspicuous area. I have a very prominent area where the living room transitions into the dining room. Since there is a similar wall on both sides of the room, it doesn't matter which side I start on; they both have the same condition.
MushCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

Hi MushCreek,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek
You can't really install flooring backwards
Yes you can and that's how it's done. Install the first piece that clears the wall as far as possible. Make sure you're going straight by snapping chalk lines etc. Now work back towards the wall by reversing the planks. You have to glue spline to the groove of the last piece so the tongue is now going the other way, towards the wall.

You probably didn't purchase any spline. It's available everywhere hardwood is sold.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
MushCreek (09-11-2015), Yodaman (09-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2015, 04:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 489

AHA! I knew there had to be a trick. That makes a lot of sense- thanks!
MushCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement